Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I got an 09 C50 as a cheap bike to return to motorcycling after a 12 year hiatus. I test drove several different cruisers, and really liked the C50. So light and easy to ride.

Anyways, after a few hundred miles I started looking into adding some exhaust noise and came across this forum. I immediately went to Farm and Fleet and found a 2.25 id Thrush glasspack, cut and gutted the stock mufflers, and cut the Thrush in half and inserted into each pipe.

This is an absolutely fantastic sound, that no video found online can possibly do justice. I'm totally happy with the exhaust just the way it is now. Also wrapped it in black wrap. I definitely feel that the bike picked up low and mid-range power, but up top it flattened out, I have to assume it was running lean.

And I did get some pretty severe popping on decel and down shifts. So I went ahead and ordered a Bully from Gman. This was a crazy easy install! I set it at stage 2, and I have fiddled a bit, but have settled on mostly stage 2 settings for now.

Wow, did this thing wake the bike up! Very very responsive at all rpms, and it pulls harder up top again. I have put about 200 miles on it with the Bully and it's completely transformed how I ride the bike.

I'm very happy with these two mods, and really like the sound and feel of the bike now. I've just about put 1k miles on the bike in two weeks, and have grown very very comfortable with slow speed maneuvers, leaning/cornering, and just riding in general. The only other thing I've done is an led headlight bulb from eBay. Very effective!

I just wanted to thank everyone on the forum for covering, in detail, these two mods so I could make educated decisions to cheaply and effectively make the bike more fun to ride!

Reactions: zukins

·
Super Moderator
21,076 Posts
had the popping issue on my c90 when I got it...at the suggestion of a friend here I ordered a Gman Bully and the popping disappeared... good company to deal with too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Reactions: beezer

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the day I picked it up. I haven't taken any pics since. I'll get to it though. After I got the Bully all dialed in, I've been beating on her pretty hard (I call her Suzy), and yesterday I felt the clutch slipping pretty significantly in 4th and 5th when getting on it hard. With 22k miles, I figured what the hell, and I ordered the infamous Barnett clutch kit and springs, cover gasket, oil and filter. Tonight, I'll likely try the clutch adjustment to get me by until the parts show, but I look forward to a nice grabby clutch! I'll get some new pics soon!

·
Registered
20,591 Posts
Greetings from Indiana.
Sweet looking ride. Love the color even though all know black is the fastest. JK

·
Super Moderator
21,076 Posts
love the color...enjoy and ride safe. Common mod on the front wheel is to replace the lollypop reflectors with some HD fork reflectors...cheap enough and they look better.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the clutch adjustment, still slipping a little if I'm rough with it. Can't wait until I get the new one! For now, slow rides... Sad.

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Nice looking bike :)
My first mod was Lindby highway bars, protects the bike & look fantastic !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the clutch installed and adjusted today! Man does it grab of the line! I've only tested around the neighborhood, not at speed. Install was super easy, plenty of people cover it in detail here. I will say, I had to redo the cover gasket, first time I put it on, I just had it on the dowels on the bike, no adhesive. It slipped a bit without me realizing it, and was leaking in the bottom a tiny bit after fill up. Drained oil, had ordered two gaskets, one as spare. This time I used the Hylomar gasket adhesive to glue the gasket to the cover before install. No leaks.

I ordered the K&N intake from Gman to go with the Bully. Waiting for it to come. He gave me the package deal, even though I bought them separate. Nice guy! Ready to go pound some miles on this new clutch and oil!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Curious on the exhaust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TJSJR, curious on the look with it cut, or the sound? I'm not confident a video from my phone would do it justice, but in person it sounds fantastic. Good enough that between the Bully and the intake, I don't think I could justify the money for a full exhaust.

I can try this weekend and see what happens

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pics mainly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just read Just re read the 1st post says you cut the glass back in half. Was it a 12" 18" 24"? Also if it's in half then one of them is in backwards as far as direction of flow goes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TJ,
It was 24" long, 3.5 round outside with an inner pipe diameter of 2.5 inches. If you look at one of these Thrush glasspacks and can decipher a specific flow direction, you're a better man than me! Sure doesn't seem like it matters. The center pipe is literally wide open 2.5 open all the way through, with holes going out into the fiberglass. There's no chambers or anything that would dictate a flow direction.

Looking at my pipes, purely because I hated how one pipe was way longer than the other, I cut quite a bit more off the top. This top pipe was just the prefect length for the now 12" glasspack half to just reach the end. On the bottom though, there was a solid 6 inches of empty pipe after the tip of the glasspack. This produced quite the horrible, tinny, echo that I was not fond of.

My options at that point were to- buy another glasspack and cut it to 18" instead of 12", or fill the gap with something else. Well, I happen to have a Cherry Bomb glasspack from another project that was a little 9" one, with a huge 3" inner pipe. I cut this down to 6" and it slipped right in around the tip of the Thrush. It did nothing to quiet the good noise but got rid of the tinny echo sound.

Reactions: tjsjr

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sorry, I figured the thrush brand glasspacks had the bubble bumps like other brands. Thanks for the info. I had already orderd 2- 12" x 2.25 i/o so hopefully I'll have good results also. Thanks.

Edit.... you took the Mickey plate out also correct?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, completely gutted, no cat either. Once you cut the end off just past the first plate, you can grab what's left of the first pipe and pull the whole muffler/cat assembly out.

The only thing you need from this original assembly, and I'd say it's optional but recommended... Is there thin fiberglass membrane from around the outside of the muffler assembly. You can cut straight down through the side of it vertically with a simple box cutter or razorblade.

I wrapped this around the outside of the glasspack to insulate it from the gutted muffler. At least on my bike with these Thrushes, there was just a little bit of wiggle room and I found using this made it a nice tight squeeze. Then I used self tappers from the bottom of the muffler to hold them in.

Then I painted the tips of the glasspacks black with high temp paint. The red looked weird.

Reactions: tjsjr

·
Registered
71 Posts
I gutted my first volusia, on number 3 now can't seem to break the habit,, and there was another plate welded up inside toward the front

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I looked down the pipe after pulling the muffler out, I could literally see the dinky stock pipe that connects to the big round muffler tube waaaaay up in there. Definitely nothing left!

TJ, when you get this done, I can personally guarantee you'll be happy with the sound. I feel that this mod which is cheap $$$ plus a Bully, is a great way to wake these bikes up cheap. The two mods together have doubled the fun of my riding experience.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts