Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About 5 years ago I went through this whole, I need a bigger bike thing, here.

Ended up with a 2011 Nomad. After having the Nomad for 9 months, I lost a job and needed to unload it or the Volusia. I never really liked the Nomad. Even on the highway it was not very stable, got pushed around by turbulence from other vehicles, where as the Volusia was always rock steady, despite the Nomad weighing in at 850 lbs.

Fast forward 5 years, I have new circumstances. Family obligations has limited my time away, so touring motorcycles don't hold the same appeal as they once did. My father is home bound and I'm his caregiver. My rides are now limited to a few hours or my short commute of 8 miles to and from work. The Volusia is still running, but I'm beginning to hear the cam chain rattle on decel. I'm about 42k on the clock.

So rather than the full dresser bikes I once wanted, I want a bike that's going to be fun with more compliant suspension than the Volusia.

Would like to have something with either some storage built in or I can put some throw over bags on.

I love the Vol and even thought about just getting another C50, but would like to try something different. I tried an ADV bike out back in 2016, Aprilia Caponord Rally, and dearly loved it. Fit me to a tee, but for short rides, it's really not practical.

My list of must haves:
Windshield
Fun to ride
Compliant suspension
Suitable storage for those inevitable grocery store last minute stops.
Aftermarket support (this has always been a sticking point for me with the Volusia)

I almost bought a road King last time, but I really don't want anything that big any more.

I know this is an eclectic list but here it is:

HD Dyna (unlimited aftermarket support)
Honda CTX700 (Practical, low entry cost, poor aftermarket support)
Suzuki Vstrom DL650 ( Great aftermarket support, tall and wide with side cases)

Maybe:
CTX 1300 (practically no aftermarket support, a little heavier than I want)
HD Sportster 1200 (great aftermarket support, buzzy at speed)
Triumph Bonneville Speedmaster (Don't know anything about Triumph)

I tend to over analyze and get totally confused.

Please help!

·
Super Moderator
29,169 Posts
I decided I wanted a smaller bike for around town and ended up buying a KTM Duke 390. After I put a Shad top box on it, it has turned into one of the best bikes I've owned. It's lightweight, small, gets great gas mileage, and fun to ride. As a bonus, it cost me about $5k out the door, brand new. About the only thing it is missing is some wind protection, but that's fine for around town and I don't miss it until I get above 60 mph.

I guess the point is, don't discount a small displacement bike for the circumstances that you're talking about. Something like a v-strom could be good too. If you can find a dealer that's willing to let you test ride, try a few different styles and sizes. There are lots of options out there.

Reactions: Jmbrad

·
Registered
328 Posts
Instead of the ctx700, why not the nc700x (or DCT)...they both have the same engine and the nc700 has a built in 21 (or 22) litre front trunk (the frunk) where the gas tank normally is....yea, it looks like an adventure bike but it is a work horse...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Speaking of smaller bikes I like those little CB500 Honda's too

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
20,274 Posts
I've been riding my CTX1300 since 2015, just flipped 40k miles on it in September. Best bike I've ever owned. I don't care about aftermarket parts, because the bike is awesome straight off the showroom floor.

My daughter bought the CTX700. Similar to my bike, but smaller and lighter. She's ridden up and down the east coast on hers and uses it to commute to work (about 30 miles each way). Again, no need for aftermarket parts, as it is pretty much bulletproof and perfect from the start.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Check out KTM 790 Adventure. It has plenty of oomph, plenty of aftermarket support. VSTROM is also a very good contender IMHO, as well as Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. Neither of two is as much fun riding as KTM (smaller engines, different geometry). CTX 700 is a solid but unexciting bike (not necessarily a bad thing). Triumph can be a lot of fun, but support network is fairly sparse outside of major metropolitan areas, and to a smaller extend KTM is in the same boat.

If you are planning to do any highway riding at all, I would probably stay clear of bikes under 650 CC. Yes you can ride almost anything modern on a highway, but there will be little reserve speed available should you need it.

·
Super Moderator
9,176 Posts
I'm into my 6th very content year of owning a Honda CTX700, with a dual-clutch transmission. It's kinda cheap in some ways, but in terms of its versatility and no-drama performance, it's an under-appreciated gem, IMO.

However, if I were taller than I am, I'd trade it for an NC750. Word is that when Honda redesigned the NC700, it did much more than just bore out the engine. More sophisticated overall, including the latest generation dual-clutch transmission. There's a lot of aftermarket for the NC, too, whether you want to keep it on the highway or take it off road.

Give it a look.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Take a look at the Kawi Versys 650LT.......has everything on your list and is fast.....did I mention FAST, for a 650. The third generation is the best (15' and up). They are worth a look for sure, a nice light sport tourer.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found a 2006 c90 with only 2500 miles on it for $3999 that's fairly local. I know the early c90s have the stator problem plus a tiny gas tank.

I don't have time to spend working on a bike to make it reliable. It's a good deal for someone but I think I'll pass.

I'm going to go check out a couple CTX 1300s tomorrow. They have this one plus another. They're almost identical down to the color in mileage.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Duplicate post

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I decided I wanted a smaller bike for around town and ended up buying a KTM Duke 390. After I put a Shad top box on it, it has turned into one of the best bikes I've owned. It's lightweight, small, gets great gas mileage, and fun to ride. As a bonus, it cost me about $5k out the door, brand new. About the only thing it is missing is some wind protection, but that's fine for around town and I don't miss it until I get above 60 mph.

I guess the point is, don't discount a small displacement bike for the circumstances that you're talking about. Something like a v-strom could be good too. If you can find a dealer that's willing to let you test ride, try a few different styles and sizes. There are lots of options out there.

Local KTM

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
11,710 Posts
I have a Kawasaki Versys 650 LT . A 2017 with 9k miles that i would sell for 5500 dollars .

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 146459 I have a Kawasaki Versys 650 LT . A 2017 with 9k miles that i would sell for 5500 dollars .
If you're in Indiana I think that's a little bit of a hike for me. Best I could do is get away for a few hours. That might be 3 days or more. Lol

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Concours? Hmm Really low miles and we'll within my budget. Lol

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Concours is carbureted, nevermind.

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
Found a 2006 c90 with only 2500 miles on it for $3999 that's fairly local. I know the early c90s have the stator problem plus a tiny gas tank.
5&6's did have stator issues...not all but there was history with some owners...my 05 purchased in 2010 with 15k on the dial went at 17k , replaced with a OEM stator in 2011 which I learned the flaws in the original stators of the 05/06 stators had been redesigned and the issues went away...at 65k I totaled the 05 and was still on that replacement stator. I replaced that 05 c90 with a 06 c90, bought in 2013 withh 8k on the dial and had to replace the stator in 2018 with 60k on the dial. I now carry a new spare stator I purchased on Ebay for $170...as for the tank, it will hold 3 1/2 gallons roughly 170 miles.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
5&6's did have stator issues...not all but there was history with some owners...my 05 purchased in 2010 with 15k on the dial went at 17k , replaced with a OEM stator in 2011 which I learned the flaws in the original stators of the 05/06 stators had been redesigned and the issues went away...at 65k I totaled the 05 and was still on that replacement stator. I replaced that 05 c90 with a 06 c90, bought in 2013 withh 8k on the dial and had to replace the stator in 2018 with 60k on the dial. I now carry a new spare stator I purchased on Ebay for $170...as for the tank, it will hold 3 1/2 gallons roughly 170 miles.
You're otherwise happy with the C90? I've been reading up on them on the delphi forum. There's some really high mileage examples on that forum.

·
Super Moderator
22,942 Posts
been happy with it for my needs...the weight of the bike I enjoy, only 100 lbs heavier than the volusia/c50 and with the gas being stored at the bottom of the mc instead of at the top it offers better center of gravity...powerwise probably its biggest negative for someone who prefers speed, but for my style of riding, mostly back roads 40-65 mph... more than enough for me, being a bit bigger than the volusia I had, it did remove that cramped feeling I had on the volusia from my long legs. On the whole have been happy with the bike, presently at 70k, other than the stator issue I mentioned, pretty much been good to me...only maintenace I personally perform with my lack of mc maintence knowledge I have, I only do oil changes and its pretty much identical to the vol/c50...15 minute job...Also, self adjusting valves, nice cost saving maintenace thing you won't have to be concerned with...the fuel injection also gives me better fuel economy...high 40's low 50's mpg.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts