Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new to me bike its a 2009 Vulcan 900 with 13k miles on it. what a difference it is to ride it after the 2004 Volusia limited I have been riding. it shifts with a click instead of a clunk.
I have owned 2 intruder/ boulevard and I have always been happy until I rode this bike, ( yeah beezer I know I should have bought a Harley) does anyone have any thing I should know about Vulcans?
I cant wait for the weather here in FLA to warm up so I can go for a ride

It is going to be hard to part with my Suzuki but my garage is to crowded as is

·
Super Moderator
20,062 Posts
congrats on the new ride...enjoy it, ride safe and let us know more about the ride it gives. Some pics would be nice too...

·
Super Moderator
4,311 Posts
Congrats....enjoy the new sled...What was your other bike???exactly!!!

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Congrats !

·
Registered
19,430 Posts
Skrap had 1
Yup, I did. It is really all that AND a bag of chips too. For me, the best thing about it was the familiar riding style and the shape of the cockpit. There was literally zero transition time between the two. What I noticed immediately was significantly more low end power and the end of the annoying vibration at freeway speeds. The suspension is much better (not as jarring when you go over a bump in the road) and the rear disc brake ACTUALLY WORKS to stop you.

I did the standard C50 touring build, added a windscreen, Mustang saddle and hardbags. After a half year, I also did the Barron's under drive pulley kit for freeway cruising. In all, it was a GREAT bike.

I had much less trouble "keeping up with the big bikes" at Rolling Thunder than I did with my C50.

The only trouble spot on the 900 is the charging system. Much like the C90, the 900 has a tendency to eat voltage regulators and less often, stators. Other than that, the engines are bulletproof and many go well beyond 100k miles with no major intervention.

You made a great choice!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I followed Skrapiron’s lead and bought a 2013 Vulcan Classic in 2014 after my 02 Volusia was totaled.
The Vulcan was an easy transition. Smoother suspension and a better low end.
I did the Barons front pulley and the Ivan’s ECU reprogramming.
The Ivan’s smoothed out the total performance of the motor. It changed the drastic engine braking when decelerating.
All in all a great ride.
Sold the Vulcan in September 2018 and again followed Skraps lead and bought a CTX1300.
Completely different style of ride but loving it.
Cheers

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the 2004 was a Volusia limited , I put floorboards on it ,bags , wind shield ,luggage rack and a tank bib, the lowers I am going to put on the Vulcan, the Volusia only had 16000 miles I kept it in Ohio and because of the lake effect rain & overcast I didn't do much riding in the summer .
when I moved to Florida year round I sold my c 50 I would ride down here because it had higher mileage . now I have to replace the speedometer plastic on the front axle I am to lazy to do it now with the new bike it may never get done .

so far I am very happy with the new bike

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Are you going to ride this one or just post about it on the internet? :p
Looking forward to seeing you wise cracker again at the Yankee Rally! Maybe htlong will come to the rally just to show your he does ride :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just purchased a new to me bike its a 2009 Vulcan 900 with 13k miles on it. what a difference it is to ride it after the 2004 Volusia limited I have been riding. it shifts with a click instead of a clunk.
I have owned 2 intruder/ boulevard and I have always been happy until I rode this bike, ( yeah beezer I know I should have bought a Harley) does anyone have any thing I should know about Vulcans?
I cant wait for the weather here in FLA to warm up so I can go for a ride

It is going to be hard to part with my Suzuki but my garage is to crowded as is
you will like the vulcan it is a nice bike...i test rode a vulcan and the C50 that i bought on the same day....i thought the C50 was a better looking bike IMO...i have done quite a bit of mods to the C50....i already have a vulcan 1600 and i wanted a lighter bike so the C50 was a natural for me....ride like you stole it!!!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It's a good bike ... as all bikes they have their qerks ... but nothing major. Good place to ask is Vulcan Riders and Owners Club (VROC). VROC :: Vulcan Riders and Owners Club

Personally .. I went to the 1600 .. no problem, but the VN900 can keep up with anything.... more ergonomic and confortable that many bikes in the ride and sitting. I kept my 2001 Volusia when I did it though, still enjoy riding it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts