Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Not sure if this is the place to ask so I will.

I am hoping that some of my Canadian friends can really help but of course I want to hear from everyone.

I get my new bike tomorrow and I have been told I have to have a 1000K service! So what do they do at 1000K's and how much does it usually cost and why at 1000K's?

Thanks

Katie

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Here in the states it's at 750 miles.
Usually they change the oil and filter and give the bike a once over listening and looking for any problems.
The pricing is usually up to the dealer but should be around $50. Then again I'd ask the dealer exactly what he is going to do and what the cost will be.

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
It will be more than $50.00, cause the dealer here charges more than that just for the oil/filter change using 1/2 Synthetic oil.

Will be checking bike over, retightening/torquing bolts, etc. as well.

Also required to maintain the WARRANTY! Don't miss it!

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is a little older checklist but it may help in giving you an idea on what is checked. Most is visual, but still important for warranty purposes. Expect to pay well over $50 though seeing as oil change and final gear oil change is required.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wait a minute here....this is your "new bike" with 1000km coming up on it soon.
Did you purchase from a previous owner or from a dealership ??
If purchased from a dealership, they should at least give you a complementary first service (which includes the oil change - you may have to pay extra if you want to put full synthetic oil in the bike). Would this have been a demo model - if so - even more reason for them to give you the complementary first service.

Worth looking into if my thoughts are on track with your situation.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can 2011
Brand new bike 2013 being delivered tomorrow. When they called to confirm today said we will see you in a 1000k's Unfortunately they caught me off guard that I did not ask enough questions.

Katie

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ahhh...I see.
Still worth it to push for the complementary 1000km service, seeing as they will want to retain you as a customer for accessories and possible future trade in down the road. It only makes good business sense.

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
Wait a minute here....this is your "new bike" with 1000km coming up on it soon.
Did you purchase from a previous owner or from a dealership ??
If purchased from a dealership, they should at least give you a complementary first service (which includes the oil change - you may have to pay extra if you want to put full synthetic oil in the bike). Would this have been a demo model - if so - even more reason for them to give you the complementary first service.

Worth looking into if my thoughts are on track with your situation.
Seriously? Good luck with that. Dealerships make money one of three ways. Bike sales, accessory sales and service. They're not in the habit of giving away anything for free (except hotdogs on Saturday mornings in May).

The first service will include:
Oil and filter change
Valve check and adjustment (this is the CRITICAL first check and will determine how the bike will wear and perform from here on out)
Tighten all chassis fasteners to spec.
Check spark plugs
Check air filter.
Check all fluids.
Check and inflate tires.

The first service is perhaps one of the most thorough service intervals and one of the most expensive. Unless you do the work yourself, be prepared for a bill north of $350.

Free service? Yeah, right....

·
Registered
579 Posts
service

I bought my C50T this year (new 2012 w/6 miles) cost me $347.00 for the 600 mile checkup.
I think (might be wrong) they kind of got you because if you don't have it and have problems later there may be a warranty issue.
BTW when I got it back it was 1 quart low on oil. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy about the service.......

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
Just for clarification, the oil level on your bike is SUPPOSED to only come HALF WAY between the two check lines in your sight glass. If you filled it to the TOP line, it is overfilled.

Also, when you check the oil, you must have the bike upright and perpendicular to the ground. If it is leaning over, you will always read low and adding oil at that point will also over-fill it.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
350 or so sounds bout right to me, a valve job alone is @ 300

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
350 or so sounds bout right to me, a valve job alone is @ 300
My tech charges me $150 to check and readjust valve clearance. Its in the shop today. I know he does it, I've seen him do it. I would do it myself but I have a good relationship with the shop. It would take me 2-3 hours and my time is better doing other things.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
My tech charges me $150 to check and readjust valve clearance. Its in the shop today. I know he does it, I've seen him do it. I would do it myself but I have a good relationship with the shop. It would take me 2-3 hours and my time is better doing other things.
thats a good price

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WOW HOLY C**P $350. MONEY MONEY MONEY. I will get it done. The dealership we bought it at will not be happy as it is 90 mins away and I have a shop 20 mins away. Suzuki have told me I can have the work done anywhere they service so that is what I will do. I guess this is a pitfall of a new bike!

Thanks everyone
She comes home today. I am so excited

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
This is a little older checklist but it may help in giving you an idea on what is checked. Most is visual, but still important for warranty purposes. Expect to pay well over $50 though seeing as oil change and final gear oil change is required.
I think I can see where it says "Major tune up check list" on that check list.
He's talking about the break-in check-up 1000km or about 750 miles. They don't do a physical valve check until at least the 7500 mile check. At 750 miles they only listen and tighten things that feel lose.
The initial oil change is usually done with the cheaper recommended dino-oil the second or possibly third is usually when they go synthetic.
But I recommend you get your dealer back on the phone and ask him exactly what he is going to do and the cost.

·
Registered
19,495 Posts
I think I can see where it says "Major tune up check list" on that check list.
He's talking about the break-in check-up 1000km or about 750 miles. They don't do a physical valve check until at least the 7500 mile check. At 750 miles they only listen and tighten things that feel lose.
The initial oil change is usually done with the cheaper recommended dino-oil the second or possibly third is usually when they go synthetic.
But I recommend you get your dealer back on the phone and ask him exactly what he is going to do and the cost.
That's a negative, Ghost Rider.... The valve check/inspection is indeed specified at the 600 mile service, then at 7500 miles, then every 7500 miles beyond that. The initial clearance check is the most important of them all and any 'tech' who just listens to the sound of an engine to determine valve clearances isn't worth the cost of the wrenches he uses....

·
Registered
19,495 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Seriously? Good luck with that. Dealerships make money one of three ways. Bike sales, accessory sales and service. They're not in the habit of giving away anything for free (except hotdogs on Saturday mornings in May).

The first service will include:
Oil and filter change
Valve check and adjustment (this is the CRITICAL first check and will determine how the bike will wear and perform from here on out)
Tighten all chassis fasteners to spec.
Check spark plugs
Check air filter.
Check all fluids.
Check and inflate tires.

The first service is perhaps one of the most thorough service intervals and one of the most expensive. Unless you do the work yourself, be prepared for a bill north of $350.

Free service? Yeah, right....

It has happened before...but now that I think about it - I believe the 1st service was negotiated at the time of the bike purchase, so it was no doubt factored into the "out the door" price of the bike. Agreed - no one does anything for free these days.

In this case, probably better off going to a local authorized bike shop and getting the work done there. Still good to go for warranty compliance, maybe save a few dollars in the end, and having a trusted bike mechanic in your area.....priceless. They don't call them "stealerships" for nothing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts