Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first bought my C50 it had 5.5 inch risers and 8 inch mini-apes. I took those off and replaced them with a drag-style handlebar and shorter risers. Also swapped the stock headlight for an LED with the turn signals integrated, and installed the flasher relay for LED's. Took me a minute to figure out the wiring but thanks to the great info on this board, I was able to find what I was looking for eventually. I think the next step is to add some aux lights where the stock signals used to be.

-CG

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks nice! How is the beam pattern with this new lite?
BTW, which one did you use?
Fireman,

This is the Sktyants LED headlight from Amazon. Beam pattern is great, I don't see any breaks or anything with where the light shines. The beam is wider and projects further down the road then my stock headlight with an LED bulb.

I ordered the light with the housing bucket in hopes of swapping the whole unit, but the fork clamps that came with it just wouldn't fit right on those big fat forks. Luckily, I was able to just pull the guts out of the new housing and they fit perfect in the stock housing.

-CG

·
Registered
528 Posts
Fireman,

This is the Sktyants LED headlight from Amazon. Beam pattern is great, I don't see any breaks or anything with where the light shines. The beam is wider and projects further down the road then my stock headlight with an LED bulb.

I ordered the light with the housing bucket in hopes of swapping the whole unit, but the fork clamps that came with it just wouldn't fit right on those big fat forks. Luckily, I was able to just pull the guts out of the new housing and they fit perfect in the stock housing.

-CG
Nice!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Looks cool, but I wonder how visible those turn signals are given the close proximity to the headlight.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Curious if this headlamp is claimed to be DOT compliant. If you care about that sort of thing.

Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Admin DOT 571.108 Nt Revised as of October 1 2011

TABLE C REQUIRED LAMPS AND REFLECTIVE DEVICES

All Motorcycles

Turn Signal Lamps

Mounting location

At or near the front at the same height symmetrically about the vertical Centerline and having a minimum horizontal separation distance centerline of lamps of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance a turn signal lamp and headlamp is 4 inches.​

·
Super Moderator
4,369 Posts
Curious if this headlamp is claimed to be DOT compliant. If you care about that sort of thing.

Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Admin DOT 571.108 Nt Revised as of October 1 2011

TABLE C REQUIRED LAMPS AND REFLECTIVE DEVICES

All Motorcycles

Turn Signal Lamps

Mounting location

At or near the front at the same height symmetrically about the vertical Centerline and having a minimum horizontal separation distance centerline of lamps of 16 inches. Minimum edge to edge separation distance a turn signal lamp and headlamp is 4 inches.​
Wondered that too...
It would be easy to add L/R turn signals LED s to that good looking lamp!!!
Better to be seen than stealthy!!!

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle-turn-signals

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DickB,

You bring up a good point, I never even thought about that. The headlight didn't come with any documentation, and their website doesn't mention anything about DOT compliance either. If it ends up being an issue I'll address it but for now I'm good rolling with what I got.

-CG

·
Registered
528 Posts
DickB,

You bring up a good point, I never even thought about that. The headlight didn't come with any documentation, and their website doesn't mention anything about DOT compliance either. If it ends up being an issue I'll address it but for now I'm good rolling with what I got.

-CG
That is one of the reasons I've never pulled the trigger on headlight modification. Most Chinese LED systems are not DOT approved or don't comply with DOT standards. Not that it makes a huge issue if you ride during the day. I did pull the plug on AUX LED system from Twisted Throttle (Denali LED), but they normally go for $400 US - I just found a killer deal: https://www.volusiariders.com/54-general-motorcycle-discussion/415278-amber-vs-white-spot-flood-lights-better.html

Check this video. They also have a video comparing OEM halogen/LED and aftermarket 7" drop-in light systems, and results are not inspiring. Even drop-in systems that cost $200-$600 (with few exceptions).

·
Registered
3 Posts
DickB,

-CG
That is one of the reasons I've never pulled the trigger on headlight modification. Most Chinese LED systems are not DOT approved or don't comply with DOT standards. Not that it makes a huge issue if you ride during the day. I did pull the plug on AUX LED system from Twisted Throttle (Denali LED), but they normally go for $400 US - I just found a killer deal: https://www.volusiariders.com/54-general-motorcycle-discussion/415278-amber-vs-white-spot-flood-lights-better.html

Check this video. They also have a video comparing OEM halogen/LED and aftermarket 7" drop-in light systems, and results are not inspiring. Even drop-in systems that cost $200-$600 (with few exceptions).

The videos they show are bad for showing off the lighting, I have a denali m7 in my c90t and it's just as bright as the hid I had in there before with a much more useable light pattern. Better distance and a wider cleaner beam

·
Registered
528 Posts
DickB,

-CG

The videos they show are bad for showing off the lighting, I have a denali m7 in my c90t and it's just as bright as the hid I had in there before with a much more useable light pattern. Better distance and a wider cleaner beam
Usually brightness is not an issue, rather the beam pattern that doesn’t have a clear low beam cut-off line to avoid blinding other drivers.
That said, I don’t recall seeing Denali m7, and it might very well be one of the good ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts