Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Never satisfied, traded the C50

3K views 31 replies 25 participants last post by  Thunderhoof 
#1 ·
Just brought home a new-to-me 2007 Nomad 1600. It's got 31k miles, but is mostly clean (except some awful extra lights and wiring jobs) and is paid for. I've taken it around the block and it sure is different from the boulevard, but has some grunt to it and the 1552cc's sound awesome through the Cobra exhaust!

I've got the battery on a charger now as the cold weather and sitting has gotten the best of it. Hoping to take it for a good spin through town tomorrow if the temp gets above 40. Anywho, here's some pics.

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Cruiser

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Cruiser

I'll have to replace the skulls with something else as my 3yr old is scared of them :D she fussed when I wear my skull mask in the cold

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Formula libre

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#11 ·
Honestly, i haven't had a chance to do very much with it riding-wise. I revved it and such at the dealership, and rode it apparently 1 mile (per tripometer) around the block in my neighborhood when i got it home. Just sitting on it and tossing it side to side, it didn't feel much heavier than the C50. As for backing up, I eventually walked it off the trailer just fine while walking BESIDE it, DOWN the ramp ;) Like always, while trying to unload every single bike i've ever owned solo, i felt how heavy it really was as I tilted it too far and it almost fell over on top of me. Hurt my back on that one LOL While riding, the front end is very very light which will take some getting used to. Almost uncomfortable light. It also sits me higher in the saddle compared to both the stock C50 seat and a mustang seat. Feels more like i'm riding "on top" vs "inside" the bike, but i'm sure that's just the feeling of something different vs what i'm used to. The stock seat however is actually pretty comfy for a stocker.

I got the battery charged 100% tonight, and i gotta figure out what the deal is with a FI bike AND having a choke, in cold weather, and hopefully i'll take it for a little ride through town tomorrow for a bit.

I wasn't crazy about the red until i saw it in person, the pics don't do this color scheme justice. It's a beautiful deep red. And the hard lockable saddlebags are truly icing on the cake.

I'll be ordering a fairing soon from Reckless, soon as i figure out the wiring deal from the PO...

#13 · (Edited)
gotta figure out what the deal is with a FI bike AND having a choke
In my experience, it's a Kawasaki thing. It does help to enrichen the fuel mixture, for when the bike has been sitting and is cold. The bike will certainly start without using the "choke," but it'll be happier if you do use it when cold. It's all in the owner's manual, which I hope came with the bike.

Congrats on the new Nomad. BearBait had many happy and trouble-free miles with his '08. I think he still misses it sometimes, even though he loves his Vaquero even more.

BTW, if you haven't encountered it yet in your internet travels, here is a link to THE page for Nomad fixes and farkles.
Gadget's Fixit Page For Kawasaki Nomad & Classic Modification Maintenance & Repair

Enjoy, enjoy! That's one beautiful dresser you bought. :wayhappy:

P.S. No reason to leave the forum! You have Kawasaki-riding family here who will gladly help you and jaw with you about your bike.

#12 · (Edited)
SC50 "Feels more like i'm riding "on top" vs "inside" the bike"

That's what I noticed about my Mustang Seat it's like you are sitting in it rather than riding on top of it" I think if you add a Mustang Seat to your Nomad you may recapture the sitting in rather than riding on feeling, although Mustang Seats may be a little different with each bike. My favorite motorcycle color is RED good choice RED for your new bike. Both my red motorcycles have red paint with embedded metallic glitter quite noticeable in bright sunshine. :shades::wayhappy::shades:

#14 ·
I had the '07 Classic that I put 30k on.

NEVER used the choke the whole time I had the bike.

The only problem I ever had was an oil leak at the shifter shaft. It was fixed under warrenty, there MIGHT have been a recall on it.

#15 ·
I had to use the choke this am when I tried to start it. The idle seemed set a tad low earlier, and now that I've tweaked it a bit, I'm wondering if I'll still need the choke next time. I'll clean the TB next chance I get, and hoping that will help some too. The neutral light even came on for me, first time that's happened so far. Slowly and surely I'm getting her dialed in to my preferences, one wire, rev, and grin at a time :D

I've actually been reading up and down on those posts from that link for the passed few weeks, just doing as much research as I could to make sure this bike would be a good purchase. That site is awesome btw.

#19 ·
Good Luck

#21 ·
Yaaa the power bug gets to ya.... I ended up with an ST1300 after the M50- Was sad to see her go.. still am.. but Can
t wait for spring.. the ponies on tap is a cool thing..

#24 ·
I'm not huge into speed anymore, but I can honestly see a ticket or two in my future. The bike simply doesn't want to go below 50mph, I have to concentrate when keeping it around 35-40mph, as it feels like it's hardly moving. It's also pretty large, I can only get my toes on the highway pegs. I'll need some adjustable pegs soon

#29 ·
I wanted the hard bags and better gearing. Everything I did to the c50 comes on the Nomad stock, except for the audio stuff. So many members here have moved to the Nomad, and mainly had only positive things to say about it. The one I bought was only the 2nd one I've ever seen in person, the first one I saw was just in passing on the highway. I always liked the pics of them when people would post, but just sitting on it sealed the deal.

I loved my c50, as they're great bikes, but do lack in the power area. That's caused me to shy away from more than a few trips up a long highway. I also felt it was a tad small from time to time. I really wish I could have both, the Nomad for trips and I'd make the c50 a bobber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.