Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 219 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
Not only was the XR750 purpose built, it enjoyed years of dominance the race circuit as there were no real serious competitors. Along comes Indian who outclassed the MoCo badly, so the rules committee had to change the specifications to restrict the performance of the Scout. Even then Harley still isn't competitive.
Well actually Honda was beating them and the MotorCo lobbied the AMA for rule changes that pushed Honda out of flat track.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
To each his own.That's why they make a lot of different motorcycles! :) To me, the Scout is ugly. I really like the rest of the Indian lineup, they're good looking, but I just don't like the looks of the Scout. Just my personal opinion, not any better or worse than anybody else's. I have some friends who think my batwing Harley is ugly as sin, doesn't bother me. As far as flat track, I LOVE the Indian 750! THAT is a very good looking motorcycle! And they are dominating the flat track series. Jared Mees is my favorite rider, been following him since watching him as a young 14 year old coming up through the ranks. Harley's factory riders, Sammy Halbert and Jared Vanderkoii, are VERY good, so it's not the rider's fault, the new XG replacement for the XR is a DOG. Harley had no say in the new rules, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Ducati, and several other teams complained about Indian's domination. Fans were getting tired of seeing Indian dominate at every race. So the governing body of AFT changed the rules on their own, Harley didn't ask for it, or have any input. Like I said before, the AMA has nothing to do with the series anymore, so Harley doesn't have the "pull" it had when the AMA ran things. Bryan Smith went back to Kawasaki this year, which is based on a production engine, so some say the new rules are for HIS benefit.

·
Registered
19,332 Posts
Anymore, Harley doesn't have any pull on the track either....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Oh, good grief. Harley sells more bikes in a month than Suzuki and Triumph do in 6 - COMBINED. Triumphs are so bad that local dealers are dropping the brand like an unvaccinated baby.
Harley is selling an image, not a good motorcycle! The Land Rover sales are up too despite it being notorious as one of the most unreliable offroaders ever made. Why? Because you buy the image, not the machine. Harley riders are mostly dentists with big guts who only ride on Sunday, they get sucked into the 'Harley Image' and pay through the nose for 1970s technology. That's why Harley does well, finally people are starting to wake up though and realise that no one cares what you ride. Especially an all American bike built with parts made in china, Japan and Thailand.

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
Lots of Harleys at Daytona Bike Week this week.
You know how this place goes Beez. Harley still sells more bikes than all other brands combined in the U.S. It's the bike most likely to be touring the country or be in your neighbor's garage. And it's the brand window lickers love to bash.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Harley is selling an image, not a good motorcycle! The Land Rover sales are up too despite it being notorious as one of the most unreliable offroaders ever made. Why? Because you buy the image, not the machine. Harley riders are mostly dentists with big guts who only ride on Sunday, they get sucked into the 'Harley Image' and pay through the nose for 1970s technology. That's why Harley does well, finally people are starting to wake up though and realise that no one cares what you ride. Especially an all American bike built with parts made in china, Japan and Thailand.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well, I'm no dentist, but I probably do resemble the big gut comment!! I've owned numerous motorcycles, eleven of them Harleys, and it's cost me more in parts and problems on the metric bikes than all the Harleys combined. Your post sounds like something you copied and pasted from the 1970's. :) With all my Harleys, the ONLY thing I had go wrong was a broken speedometer cable on my '85 Electra Glide, which I fixed myself for less than $20. None broke down or left me stranded.....ever.

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Well, I'm no dentist, but I probably do resemble the big gut comment!! I've owned numerous motorcycles, eleven of them Harleys, and it's cost me more in parts and problems on the metric bikes than all the Harleys combined. Your post sounds like something you copied and pasted from the 1970's. :) With all my Harleys, the ONLY thing I had go wrong was a broken speedometer cable on my '85 Electra Glide, which I fixed myself for less than $20. None broke down or left me stranded.....ever.
Well being honest I had some major problems with my 07 but my 16 has been pretty flawless other than the add on stereo amplifier failed. At least I hope it's the amplifier and not the head unit. We'll see shortly. Overall my 16 has been boringly reliable.

·
Premium Member
27,180 Posts
Haha, 'anyone who doesn't like my bike is a window licker'
Actually, I don't care if you like my bike or not. Not even a little bit. I don't feel the need to comment on what other people ride either unless, like this thread, they are asking for advice. You ride, I am kind of good with it. You become a window licker when you feel the need to comment negatively because you secretly want one. This is not true of everybody, but in my experience, the people that feel the need to comment negatively, for the most part, are window lickers.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Actually, I don't care if you like my bike or not. Not even a little bit. I don't feel the need to comment on what other people ride either unless, like this thread, they are asking for advice. You ride, I am kind of good with it. You become a window licker when you feel the need to comment negatively because you secretly want one. This is not true of everybody, but in my experience, the people that feel the need to comment negatively, for the most part, are window lickers.
The delusion is laughable. I have more than enough funds to buy a Harley. In fact ive been to their showrooms a couple of times. But reliability is just too important to me. If pushrods, PRESSED together cranks, awful cam chain tensioners and purposely undertuned engines (just so you buy the Wheezing Eagle upgrades) are your thing, then you do you.
For those in the know, Harley is the worst choice for anything modern.

And if you think the new M8 engines are FINALLY up to date with everyone else, well even the fanboys have managed to fill an M8 problem thread with 165 pages :biglaugh:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1134021-m8-problems.html

'But muh bike cost more than yours!' A fool and his money are soon parted.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
The delusion is laughable. I have more than enough funds to buy a Harley. In fact ive been to their showrooms a couple of times. But reliability is just too important to me. If pushrods, PRESSED together cranks, awful cam chain tensioners and purposely undertuned engines (just so you buy the Wheezing Eagle upgrades) are your thing, then you do you.
For those in the know, Harley is the worst choice for anything modern.

And if you think the new M8 engines are FINALLY up to date with everyone else, well even the fanboys have managed to fill an M8 problem thread with 165 pages :biglaugh:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/milwaukee-eight-m8/1134021-m8-problems.html

'But muh bike cost more than yours!' A fool and his money are soon parted.

OK.....................:surprise:

41 - 60 of 219 Posts