Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
The new scout is all that and a bag of chips. They are so far better than the Harley offerings that Harley got the AMA to hamstring the Indians just to make their bikes more competitive. Lol. Rather than improving their product, the pressured the sanctioning body to make the competition worse...

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
The new scout is all that and a bag of chips. They are so far better than the Harley offerings that Harley got the AMA to hamstring the Indians just to make their bikes more competitive. Lol. Rather than improving their product, the pressured the sanctioning body to make the competition worse...
Well I wouldn't go that far John. I don't think the Scout is any danger to the Sportster. It competes in the same market segment and in every way is a more modern bike. And arguably a better bike, but like it or not America rides Harley and the Sportster remains the entry bike into the world of Harley. That said, I wouldn't mind having a Scout in my garage.

And by the way that happens in every form of racing. Have you seen the Ford GTs winning lately? Nope, IMSA tied their hands and limited the cars with BOP rulings.

All that said I think Polaris did a great job on the Scout and one just may land in my garage as an around town bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)

And I will be picking up my new-to-me Indian this saturday. The dealer with the C90 never bothered to call me back. The dealer with the Indian called me back within an hour and a half with an offer. I said, "SOLD!" I'll post pictures if anyone is interested this weekend. Going to have to travel a few hours to get it but it is worth it, I think. :grin2:

·
Registered
529 Posts
And I will be picking up my new-to-me Indian this saturday. The dealer with the C90 never bothered to call me back. The dealer with the Indian called me back within an hour and a half with an offer. I said, "SOLD!" I'll post pictures if anyone is interested this weekend. Going to have to travel a few hours to get it but it is worth it, I think. :grin2:
Please do post pictures

·
Super Moderator
25,290 Posts
How do you ride it? I have long legs and find them uncomfortably tall.
I'm comfortable on mine for short runs, but I wouldn't want to ride it too far. I bought the Duke 390. It's a blast around town, but the one time I got on the interstate I definitely felt tiny and defenseless. It also draws attention for sure. I can't stop at a gas station without someone asking me about it. I love it for running to the store though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Good gawd no. Triumph universally has the worst reliability in the industry. My local dealer gave up selling them because of maintenance, warranty, and reliability problems. They are cool bikes but reliability is not a word I would use with Triumph.
Depends on the bike. Same with any manufacturer. Harley Sportster is pretty reliable but all the Twin Cam motors were shockingly bad and even the new M8 ones have all kinds of problems.
The ThunderBird has no record of serious failures. Plus the parallel twin makes for a smooth ride and character

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Depends on the bike. Same with any manufacturer. Harley Sportster is pretty reliable but all the Twin Cam motors were shockingly bad and even the new M8 ones have all kinds of problems.
The ThunderBird has no record of serious failures. Plus the parallel twin makes for a smooth ride and character
The early 88s and 96s had issues but the late 88s were pretty good and all of 103s were rock solid. The 110s had some issues too. Harley embarked on a quality improvement program back in 2009 and by 2014 the bikes were pretty darn solid. It used to be take your bike to the dealer for service take a number we might get to you in a week or two. These days its bring it in today we have space for inspection or a tire change or whatever. They just don't break much anymore. It's actually been a hardship for the dealers. They used to make a fortune servicing bikes. Not today.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

Well, first, the AMA has nothing to do with flat track any more. The series is owned and run by the same people who run Nascar. Second, Harley had nothing to do with the rule change. It affects their bikes too. The American Flat Track Association, the new owners of the series, did the rule change. https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/do-american-flat-tracks-rules-changes-go-too-far-to-help-indians-rivals

"After two years in which the Indian FTR750 took almost every podium position in the American Flat Track Twins Class, few were surprised when the series announced rules changes in October that were intended to help other brands compete.

Those changes include:

Changing the spec fuel to Sunoco GTX-260 which is unleaded, and has a lower octane rating

Significantly freeing up the rules related to motors which began life as production, street-legal motors
(This will in NO WAY help Harley since Harley race bike engines are no longer based on production motors)

Allowing production-based racers to hog out 38 mm throttle bodies to a maximum of 40 mm"

Oh man, I have to say watching them run short track at Sturgis really got my attention. They were winning with style.
That was these bikes ........FTR 750 Indians....purpose built flat trackers.......purpose built engines..........way different than the Scout.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
No it is just you. The bar and shield poisoned your sense of taste and style.
Nah! I like a lot of non HD bikes........I think the C50 is a good looker. Like a lot of the Triumph line-up. Really like Kawasaki's tourer.
I just know UGLY when I see it. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Nah! I like a lot of non HD bikes........I think the C50 is a good looker. Like a lot of the Triumph line-up. Really like Kawasaki's tourer.
I just know UGLY when I see it. :wink2:
Oh come on, some versions of the Scout are sharp looking. I'm a Harley guy and I like the looks better than the Sportster.

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
Oh, good grief. Harley sells more bikes in a month than Suzuki and Triumph do in 6 - COMBINED. Triumphs are so bad that local dealers are dropping the brand like an unvaccinated baby.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday getting my 500 mile service on the Roadmaster, and was looking at a Scout Bobber "special edition" they have out. I'd love to have that as an "around town" bike, simple but fun for sure. I hope you enjoy your Scout!

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
And the XR-750 wasn't purpose built? Come on, Indian beat the MotorCo at its own game. Harley's most recent efforts have been disappointing. I would love for Harley to win at flat track but they are not there. It is the MotorCo's whining that caused the rule changes, not unlike they did back in the 80s that got Honda out of the game. Maybe the MotorCo needs to step up rather than handicapping a dominant competitor? On the other hand, balance of power rules are put on competitors vehicles in just about all forms of racing. Man, I was pissed when NASCAR handicapped the Ford Thunderbirds. I instantly stopped watching NASCAR twenty some odd years ago. Today IMSA has applied heavy balance of power rules on the Ford GTs. So it is what it is I guess.

Well, first, the AMA has nothing to do with flat track any more. The series is owned and run by the same people who run Nascar. Second, Harley had nothing to do with the rule change. It affects their bikes too. The American Flat Track Association, the new owners of the series, did the rule change. https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/do-american-flat-tracks-rules-changes-go-too-far-to-help-indians-rivals

"After two years in which the Indian FTR750 took almost every podium position in the American Flat Track Twins Class, few were surprised when the series announced rules changes in October that were intended to help other brands compete.

Those changes include:

Changing the spec fuel to Sunoco GTX-260 which is unleaded, and has a lower octane rating

Significantly freeing up the rules related to motors which began life as production, street-legal motors
(This will in NO WAY help Harley since Harley race bike engines are no longer based on production motors)

Allowing production-based racers to hog out 38 mm throttle bodies to a maximum of 40 mm"

That was these bikes ........FTR 750 Indians....purpose built flat trackers.......purpose built engines..........way different than the Scout.

·
Registered
19,530 Posts
Not only was the XR750 purpose built, it enjoyed years of dominance the race circuit as there were no real serious competitors. Along comes Indian who outclassed the MoCo badly, so the rules committee had to change the specifications to restrict the performance of the Scout. Even then Harley still isn't competitive.

21 - 40 of 219 Posts