Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at upgrading from my C50 to a larger bike. Came across a 2008 C109R with a little over 17,xxx on the clock. Good shape. Definitely bigger than mine and even bigger feeling than a C90. How were these bikes in reliability and handling? Any common problems with them? I know the 805cc's tended to have issues with the timing chain guides. Same for the larger bikes?

·
Super Moderator
26,052 Posts
Not sure about reliability, but the 109 is a torque monster. I've never actually seen a C model in real life though, just the M.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
They didn't sell really well and were only around for a few years. Take it for a good test ride and make it's a bike you actually want to ride. The M109 is fairly popular and is known to be a beast.

·
Registered
861 Posts
As Beezer said they grind going into 2nd. They fixed the problem in 2010. I got a 2008 new and it had the problem the day I picked it up. The dealer said it had to break in. (BS) I finally got it rebuilt under warranty at 7000 miles. Suzuki got away without having a recall. They are extremely fast but very heavy.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the C109. Wish I did. My local Harley Dealer will not put any used bikes on the sales floor from other manufacturers, but they made an exception for the C109. It's the only one I've seen in person and it's freaking huge!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After doing some research on the C109 I've backed away from it. I'm currently looking at a brand new, never sold, 2017 C90. Either that or an Indian Scout. My first preference is the C90 though. Should know something today. *fingers crossed*

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
The C90 is a mixed bag. It definitely accomplishes your goal of getting on a larger more powerful bike but different years have different issues. Some guys love them and some hate them. The Indian Scout IMO is a better bike all the way around, but it's also an around town bike. I don't know how big you are but at 6'1" I couldn't see touring on it. I'm sure smaller framed guys would not have an issue. It's Indian's (AKA Polaris Industries) response to the Harley Davidson Sportster. It's generally considered to be a better bike than the Sportster.

·
Registered
19,684 Posts
You are thinking big bike on a budget. If you are cost sensitive, might I suggest you take a look at the Star 1300? It ticks all the right boxes for size, power, weight and price. Suzuki bikes are good for what they are, but when you move up in class, there are much better.

·
Super Moderator
26,052 Posts
I agree with Skrap. It sounds like you're trying to stay with Suzuki. The C50 is a great starter bike, but the 90 and 109 are a bit lackluster. Yamaha and Kawasaki have better mid to large size cruisers if you're on a budget. Just my opinion of course, but since you asked.

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
I agree with Skrap. It sounds like you're trying to stay with Suzuki. The C50 is a great starter bike, but the 90 and 109 are a bit lackluster. Yamaha and Kawasaki have better mid to large size cruisers if you're on a budget. Just my opinion of course, but since you asked.
I agree with you and Skrap. I was sticking to what the OP tossed out there. In this situation, a Star or Vulcan would be my pick. Honestly, I thought John's Vulcan 900 performed pretty well on the road. It didn't keep up with my Harley but it was overall a solid bike and wasn't a sitting duck on the Interstate like the C50. It's a step or two up from the C50 and a whole lot better bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input. I've looked at the Kawasaki's and Honda's in the past but I didn't like how they felt. Felt too big for me. I'm not a big fella but not small either at 5'9" and 175lbs. I know Yamaha's are great bikes (the wife has a Roadliner) but finding a nice one used around here is hard. I went to the local Indian dealer yesterday to sit on one of their bikes that has the reduced reach controls (just like the one I'm looking at in VA) and it felt comfortable. Actually, both bikes felt comfortable to me. Hell, if I could afford both I'd buy both. lol One for around town and going to work, the other for long distance cruising. I hate making adult decisions sometimes...

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Thanks for the input. I've looked at the Kawasaki's and Honda's in the past but I didn't like how they felt. Felt too big for me. I'm not a big fella but not small either at 5'9" and 175lbs. I know Yamaha's are great bikes (the wife has a Roadliner) but finding a nice one used around here is hard. I went to the local Indian dealer yesterday to sit on one of their bikes that has the reduced reach controls (just like the one I'm looking at in VA) and it felt comfortable. Actually, both bikes felt comfortable to me. Hell, if I could afford both I'd buy both. lol One for around town and going to work, the other for long distance cruising. I hate making adult decisions sometimes...
With this input, I would say purchase the Indian and don't look back.

·
Registered
556 Posts
With this input, I would say purchase the Indian and don't look back.
I would agree. For the money, you probably won't be able to find a better mid-size new cruiser. Watch the video below:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I don't know if it's just me or what, but that Indian Scout is one of the ugliest motorcycles I've seen in a long time. My neighbor has one, and I went over and took a good long look at it, thinking maybe they looked better in person............nope.....even uglier "in the flesh". Of course I didn't tell him that, but man........did I say it was UGLY?? I know I COULD NOT own one of those.......EVER!! :(

·
Registered
330 Posts
Dont bother, they're old now, have electrical problems and parts will only get harder to find.
If you want excellent fit and finish but better than Harley reliability, look at a Triumph Thunderbird. Excellent bikes.
Or Yamaha Stratoliner, or VN1500.

·
Registered
19,684 Posts
I don't know if it's just me or what, but that Indian Scout is one of the ugliest motorcycles I've seen in a long time. My neighbor has one, and I went over and took a good long look at it, thinking maybe they looked better in person............nope.....even uglier "in the flesh". Of course I didn't tell him that, but man........did I say it was UGLY?? I know I COULD NOT own one of those.......EVER!!
No it is just you. The bar and shield poisoned your sense of taste and style.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
Dont bother, they're old now, have electrical problems and parts will only get harder to find.
If you want excellent fit and finish but better than Harley reliability, look at a Triumph Thunderbird. Excellent bikes.
Or Yamaha Stratoliner, or VN1500.
Good gawd no. Triumph universally has the worst reliability in the industry. My local dealer gave up selling them because of maintenance, warranty, and reliability problems. They are cool bikes but reliability is not a word I would use with Triumph.

·
Registered
19,684 Posts
Or BMW...

·
Premium Member
27,181 Posts
I don't know if it's just me or what, but that Indian Scout is one of the ugliest motorcycles I've seen in a long time. My neighbor has one, and I went over and took a good long look at it, thinking maybe they looked better in person............nope.....even uglier "in the flesh". Of course I didn't tell him that, but man........did I say it was UGLY?? I know I COULD NOT own one of those.......EVER!! :(
Oh man, I have to say watching them run short track at Sturgis really got my attention. They were winning with style.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts