Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the drive installed for a while, but the weather here has not been too cooperative.

Took a few short rides to verify that everything was working OK and had no glitches that I could tell.

Today, took a 15 mile ride at 65~70mph dinking around, and when I got back noticed that the rear drive was hot.

Brake side of rear was warm, but the drive was definately putting out the heat, so I don't think that it is brake related.

As soon as I installed the drive I drained it and refilled with 80w90.

I'm wondering if there was some 'break-in' oil/fluid that I should have left in the drive for a few miles.

Anyone been there - suggestions?

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Hmm, beats me... had the drive installed and also put 80W90 Pennzoil in. I never touched the drive after a ride but of course it will get warm, but hot ??

BTW, I did another oil change after the initial 300 miles but the original oil looked clean and no metal shavings or so (these drives are new so you want to treat them that way).

·
Registered
509 Posts
drive

The drive can get pretty warm. Have you made sure that it is still full? Also, how tight did you tighten the axle nut? Maybe too tight and bearings ggoing out, getting hot?

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I'd check the oil level again. You fill it static (not moving) then run it down the road, as it the oil gets pushed into all the internal workings, it could need a top off.
Viper

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would check that brake anyway ... usually a good idea after micky-mousing around with the backend ... even after tire changes ...

·
Registered
590 Posts
472viper said:
I'd check the oil level again. You fill it static (not moving) then run it down the road, as it the oil gets pushed into all the internal workings, it could need a top off.
Viper
... definitely what Viper says too ... if you think it is still getting to hot I wouldn't wait to long to pop it off and just take a look ... it doens't take to long ...

·
Registered
590 Posts
... any follow-up on this??? ... would like to hear if the problem resolved or was solved?? ...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Lots of great advice! Getting some of these finer points to a science beats Clymer. I'm gonna run out & feel the drive so I have a baseline. OK checked it, it's pretty warm. The DJ mod IS the future. They'll start gearing the smaller cruisers to feel like this and forget about 13 second quarters :)roll: :roll:) and crotch-rocket formulas on top-end power. Well I can hope.

I think it's functioning as intended.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RevBill said:
... any follow-up on this??? ... would like to hear if the problem resolved or was solved?? ...
I put out a feeler and have gotten some good information from here, Dan Hillis and IntruderAlert, the C90 board.

Bottom line... these are new drives and will build up some heat until they are broken in... a couple hundred miles had been mentioned.

I don't have that many miles yet, but wil keep everyone posted. No worries here. :)

Sorry about the earlier empty post...

Best,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts