Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the OEM instructions for installing these Suzuki bags to a 2005 c50? The bags came with so many washers and spacers that I need to find out what goes where!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I had an 05 C50 with factory bags. I don't have the instructions but can walk you through my memory of how it fits.
There will be 4 bolts with the hardware. Two of the bolts will be slightly longer. They go in the front, the shorter bolts to the back.
You slide a flat washer onto a bolt and then a shouldered washer with the small diameter towards the saddle bag, there are 4 large shouldered washers that go on the bolts and into the large holes in the saddle bags. The bags require a metal support that fits into the bottom flange on the bags and there are then holes for the bolts that mount at the ends. There will be spacers that go on between the metal bag support and the strut. The spacers are aluminum. You can polish them up to look like chrome with a buffer and compound. I think the spacers are the same size front and back. The bolts in the front thread into the inner fender and the rear bolts will have a flanged nut you thread on inside the fender support. (the nut will be reused from the original allen strut bolt).
The stock bike without bags will have button head allen bolts mounting the fender to the strut. Keep these bolts in case you ever want to remove the bags. These bolts might be rather tight as they would have been assembled with locktite.
If you choose to reassemble with Locktite - LOCKTITE IS VERY BAD FOR PLASTIC AND WILL MARK THE LEATHER. BE CAREFUL WITH IT! BLUE IS REMOVABLE ,RED IS LESS SO (needs heat).

IMPORTANT! You can loosen all 4 strut bolts
ONLY REMOVE ONE BOLT AT A TIME WHEN INSTALLING THE BAGS!

I suggest you fold a towel and put it over your exhaust pipe to protect it from scratches or dings during the install. There is a metal support that is inside the fender. The strut bolts thread into this in the front and the rears as mentioned above reuse the flanged nut. These bolts are M8 and there are many threads about the fender bolts from hell!
The inner fender can shift and be difficult to get the front bolts installed without cross threading! Hence the warning above!
You might consider buying new bolts for the front that are completely threaded and install these from inside the fender sticking out. It will make taking the bags off much easier without as much trouble with the inner fender alignment. It requires patience and a bike jack is helpful to install the all thread bolts. You will need to buy nuts and lock washers if you go this route.
The large flanged washer that goes inside the saddle bag is a sintered metal and can break if you don't have it quite in the hole right. it might also break if you overload the bags. I modified some "Tnuts" and used garden hose washers with them to replace my broken flanged washers. On my 09 I had my neighbour make me some new flanged washers from Stainless steel to use with the rubber washers. Polished they look nice and the rubber washers give a bit of cushion the mounting.
I hope this is helpful. Hopefully someone might post the official instructions.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have had to do this to my bikes with each upgrade of bags at least 8 times, I think it is one of the most frustrating things to do on the bike .
you explained it very well, and just reading what you wrote brought a level of anxiety to me!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
IMPORTANT! You can loosen all 4 strut bolts
ONLY REMOVE ONE BOLT AT A TIME WHEN INSTALLING THE BAGS!
+1. This advice ^^ is BRUTALLY important.

When I did this install on my C50, I blithely took out all 4 strut bolts. It took me and two strong men an unbelievable amount of sweat and cussing to get everything together again. The whole d*mned fender out of alignment. :blackeye::bigoops:

·
Registered
795 Posts
RE:
You might consider buying new bolts for the front that are completely threaded and install these from inside the fender sticking out. It will make taking the bags off much easier without as much trouble.

If I made the bolts face outward and used nuts on the inside of the saddle bags does anyone know what size and length bolts i would need for the front and back?

·
Registered
795 Posts
or you can just buy the quick release brackets and take them on and off as you want.
I've thought about that, but I really don't want them to stick out more than normal.

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
I've thought about that, but I really don't want them to stick out more than normal.
Having had both on my C50, I can affirm that:
(1) The bags don't stick out that much further with EZ Brackets than they do with the OEM mount.
(2) EZ Brackets are well worth any aesthetic difference for the convenience of removing your bags quickly, for example to get at the rear tire for maintenance.

When I changed from the OEM mount to EZ Brackets, I ended up having to drill a hole in the back of my bags to install one support screw from the Brackets. I changed out the screw and nut that came with the Brackets to ones that had a smoother head, so things I put in the bag didn't catch on that head. Cost me all of 2 bucks at my hardware store.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this thread is kind of old, but I have the OEM instructions. I could scan and email them to you if you still need them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts