Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about upgrading my C50 T to a C90. I was just wondering if anyone had some feedback about the C90. I just need something bigger for long trips. The C50 tops out at like 75 and sounds like its going to explode. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
if your keeping the C50 get the DJ Drive mod : 14% taller gear, 600-800 rpm drop at high way speeds and 10% more mpg at cruise. I have had my '06 above 75 and buzzes not really bad but anoyingly and it will still go faster. been to 91 indicated speed. ( our speedo's are avg 10% slower than real)

Note that next year the 90 goes out of production,has a smaller tank, shorter range , less mpg. The range can be fixed but you have to buy newe pipes to get an aux tank $$$. alot of owner like it for more seriuos touring 2up for it added power, disc brakes, tuvless tires and hydraulic valves

·
Banned
24,655 Posts
Boxwrench said:
Note that next year the 90 goes out of production
Says who? Speculation.

·
Premium Member
16,535 Posts
ECKS said:
Boxwrench said:
Says who? Speculation.
I keep hearing the C90 is being discontinued but I searched the Suzuki site and didn't see anything about it so I just called my dealer and asked.
They have also heard the rumor that the C90 is being replace with a bike in the 1300cc range but have no confirmation either.
I guess it is a wait and see game.

** I forgot but the guy also said he had heard they may be revamping the C90 to allow for a bigger gas tank since that is the major complaint with them.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
fletch24990 said:
ECKS said:
Boxwrench said:
Says who? Speculation.
I keep hearing the C90 is being discontinued but I searched the Suzuki site and didn't see anything about it so I just called my dealer and asked.
They have also heard the rumor that the C90 is being replace with a bike in the 1300cc range but have no confirmation either.
I guess it is a wait and see game.

** I forgot but the guy also said he had heard they may be revamping the C90 to allow for a bigger gas tank since that is the major complaint with them.
mebbe that is it. the "new" 1300cc bike is a revamped C90?

Now if they only revamp the C50 w/ like an option for spokes, 2 front disc, rear disc, hydraulic clutch differnt looking fenders.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Box, I agree on the C50 revamp: dual discs, rear discs, option for spokes. As far as fenders, we do have the M50 fender? Is a hydraulic clutch better than a cable clutch? I think you cannot adjust a hydraulic clutch friction zone?

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
CTRider had one and traded it back for a C50T. The fake fuel tank gave it some odd center of gravity (his words) and he didn't like the handling, is much happier with the 50.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have been riding my C90 for a couple weeks now, and am thoroughly impressed with it. It handles extremely well, and has plenty of power to move you down the highway at 75-80 with ease, and plenty of room to go if needed/desired.

Of course, my last bike was a 1983 Honda V65, so the difference is that much more evident.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Dereklord wrote "The C50 tops out at like 75 and sounds like its going to explode. Any info would be appreciated."

I've had mine up to 90 and it was not topped out. It does vibrate a little bit but I guess that coming from a S 40 that flat topped out at 80 the C 50 has plenty of top end for me

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
With the DJ drive I am going 75 mph GPS (!) speed (not indicated) and the tach shows around 4,200 rpm. Redline is around 7000 if I'm not mistaken - barely working a sweat and surely nowhere near exploding!!

Fastest ever measured with the GPS was 92 mph, speedo showed way over 100. Plenty good for a cruiser - they are not made for speed but for comfortable, easy riding.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
ok swap out hyraulic lifter for the clutch on my list

·
Registered
590 Posts
dereklord said:
I am thinking about upgrading my C50 T to a C90. I was just wondering if anyone had some feedback about the C90. I just need something bigger for long trips. The C50 tops out at like 75 and sounds like its going to explode. Any info would be appreciated.
... take your bike out and really red-line it once and you will feel differently about that 75mph comment ... not busting your chops but you got a whole lot of bike still in the C50 ... it "revs high" (at really moderate revs actually) and is not a "chugger" ... that 45degree v-twin rocks and can perform under all sorts of conditions (as tested by many riders here in the VR and the old/new VOL ... don't sell her short just yet ...

... the C50 also has one of the best long-haul capabilities out there for cruisers ... certainly for mid-size cruisers ... the C90/VL1500 has a tiny tank by comparison, though you can get a retro-kit that adds an aux tank to them (but they are simply a pain in the fanny) ...

... you will also find the C90/VL1500 a bunch heavier than the VL800/C50 ... not so bad on the open highway but some people find it a pain around town (just as a compairison ... your milage may vary) ... and a bunch more to pick up if you drop her or go down ...

... about the best thing going for mods and bang-for-your-buck performance on the highway right now is the C90/VL1500 final drive swap for the C50/VL800 (called the DJ800 or DJ Drive) ... really makes the C50/VL800 a high-milage highway cruiser ... so for about $500.00 bucks you can dramatically improve your highway performance ... or for a few thousand more you can move over (not up) to a C90/VL1500 ... bigger ain't always better ...

... go test ride both a modded C50/VL800 and a C90/VL1500 and then decide for yourself what you want for you and what works best in your world ... cause everyone here (myself included) is going to have a different (at least slightly different) opinion ... you might also save yourself some serious money ...

... hope this helps and doesn't bore you to tears ... lol ... Ride Blessed ...

·
Registered
719 Posts
Dereklord,

When I had my LC1500 (older model than C90, no fuel injection) I still had my Volusia so I had some months where I was swapping back and forth. On the back country roads the Volusia gave me more fun factor because of its lighter weight. On the longer highway trips it was hard to beat the tall geared engine of the LC1500 as it loafed along at highway speeds. The higher body weight made you feel more stable out there when it was windy as well. Also the cast wheels are a plus because you can recover from a puncture with a can of fix-a-flat or the use of a tire plug kit and some compressed air. The last advantage are the hydraulic lifters in the C90's engine. That means no valve adjustments are necessary. The downside of the C90 though is it's relatively small gas capacity especially with the C90's fuel injection pump which took up more space reducing the capacity to 3.7 gallons. There is a supplemental tank available known as the g-tank which not only solved that problem but can give you more capacity than any other cruiser on the market.

Having said all this I missed my Volusia after it was gone. I think if this final drive swap was available back then I would have taken it and been completely happy. That's a great mod for $500. But each of us ride differently and in different places. If you're mostly highway with long distances then maybe go for something in the 1100-1500cc class. But if you have a variety of riding mixed together I think the Volusia is a winner with or without the drive mod.

Or you can be like me and go through four bikes in seven years! At the end of the day I learned there is no bike that does it all, only a bike that fits you and your riding preferences the most. So look closely at what kind of riding you do the most of. Buying and selling bikes can be fun but it's not the most economical method of finding what works for you. :) Good luck.

Joe

·
Banned
10,976 Posts
Had my "M" up to 102 (indicated) no windshield and still had throttle left. Can't figure why your "C" tops out at 75.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The new 109RT gas tank looks BIG......but isn't and that bike has got to be pushing 750lbs ..........It does look GREAT in Blue/White paint

·
Registered
166 Posts
I agree with checking both out. I was in a hurry, the C50 was priced right. It does rev pretty good at 70-75mph but i've heard some Harleys that are just as bad. Plus with my Cobra Drags i don't even notice much at all except the pipes 8)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I was originally going to get a C90, but that's the year they changed it and went to the small gas tank. Figuring the mods to get an auxillary, etc....

well, I ended up going with the Kaw 1600 Classic and have loved it. Easy cruising at 90 mph, lots of power, an actual 5.3 gal gas tank, hydr clutch and brakes, disc frt/back, hydr valves, and air shocks.

This all adds up to virtually "maintenance free" other than changing the oil, checking the drive shaft every 10,000 miles, and riding it.

It was a good choice for me. I love the bike.
Any.. my 01 Volusia... 100 mph and had more to give. Have ridden several times at 85 mph for extended times, but the high rpms at that speed gets to me (loud pipes...LOL).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts