Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
SO yesterday my husband and I went to the dealership to get my new 2013 C50T paid for and delivery set up. We are adding crash bars or roll bars or engine guards LOL whatever you want to call them and highway pegs. Basically we were told to go home and find the ones we want OMG
SO after hours of research I found a site that helped and I found the Crash Bar that will fit my motorcycle. It is made by Baron and I am happy with it.
BUT now I need the help with the pegs. What is the difference between offset ones and regular pegs. This is a one time purchase so I need so help

Katie

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hi Katie! Can't help you with the highway pegs, as I don't know much about them and actually removed them from my Bessie (they were useless for a person of my height-challenged stature). I love the wide highway bars that I installed to replace the narrow original engine guards. It's kind-of strange that the dealership didn't offer you more guidance on these issues right then & there. Well, Good luck with your mods! It's so exciting that riding season is right around the corner!!! :wayhappy::wayhappy::wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Offset pegs are............well offset. That means they can be positioned in a manner so as to bring them closer to you or farther away from you. Also can be positioned so as to set the pegs a little higher or a little lower. Much more adjustable as far as position.

Regular pegs are going to mount straight out from the crash bar, no option to move them closer or farther away from the bar.

·
Administrator
16,305 Posts
As far as bar options you have Cobra, Baron, and Lindby.

Depending on your height, you may want offset pegs. Some people go with the Lindby bars, and don't do pegs at all.

There was one set of bars that was larger than all the others, and some aggressive riders found that they could actually touch if you leaned the bike over too much, therefore lifting the front tire off the ground - not sure if this was an isolated incident or if it happened to more than one person.

I had the Cobras on my C50 - my wife has the Lindby on her Vstar

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone
I don't like the look of the Lindby bars. I have picked a Baron Engine Guard and I think I will go with offset as I am 5 10 with a 34 inseam

I know we thought we would get more help too. The only suggestion we got was the Lindby bar (had no idea what that was until I came home)

The good thing is I have learned a ton and will know what I am getting LOL

I guess with the offset bars you have to change the position with a tool?

Katie

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on pegs and I keep coming back to the Kuryakyn Model 7993: Offset Highway Pegs | Foot Controls | Küryakyn
They look like they can be adjusted just about anywhere I'd want them and have lots of good reviews on this and other forums.

Good choice on the Baron Engine Guard and good luck with the selection of pegs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kcroz
WOW those are the ones I am looking at tooooo! I think they will go well with the Baron Chrome Engine Guard BA-7180-00

Great minds think alike

I am placing the order tomorrow and should find out about the arrival of my bike

I would like a drivers back rest as well.

I am on that now!
Katie

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
The guy who sold you the new bike apparently didn't know much about add on parts.
Suzuki sells OEM Highway Bars (they don't call them Crash bars). Many dealers through their parts department offer discount prices to new bike buyers. My dealer gave me a 30% discount on add on accessories and I got my Cobra Crash Bars and Kurlyakin dually offset pegs at a 30% discount. Most don't like the C50 OEM Bars as they are a little small.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Maybe you should get the bars first, and not get any pegs until you sit on the bike with the bars on. That should tell you which type of pegs to get. Sit on the bike and put your feet where you would be comfortable. Everyone has different inseams and comfort positions, you need to determine which works best for you.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yup the guy who sold us the bike was not there. It is all good I have done a lot of research and have narrowed it done which is good!

Thanks so much everyone. Hopefully the bike is in the garage very soon

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I'm about to pull the trigger on pegs and I keep coming back to the Kuryakyn Model 7993: Offset Highway Pegs | Foot Controls | Küryakyn
They look like they can be adjusted just about anywhere I'd want them and have lots of good reviews on this and other forums.

Good choice on the Baron Engine Guard and good luck with the selection of pegs.
Those are the ones I had - vey nice and easy to position.

·
Super Moderator
8,879 Posts
A vote here for Kuryakyn offsets.

BearBait saved a few bucks on non-offsetting, non-Kuryakyn highway pegs on his Nomad -- and permanently regretted it. He let those pegs go with the Nomad when he traded it, and we threw for Kuryakyns for his Vaquero. I helped him install both sets, and there was clearly a difference in quality. I am very impressed by Kuryakyn's weight and finish, and the ease and range of adjustment. If I ever get highway pegs for myself, I'll only look at Kury.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone. I am pretty happy with my choices and will be ordering them today! I think the bike is going to look pretty snazzy. I want a drivers backrest but the nice ones where the back folds over are over $300 and I can get a new seat for $600, the other one I can pick up on ebay for $80 dollars but not sure how comfortable it is

This is so much fun waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Katie

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hi Katie,

Many people here have tried the Grasshopper backrest and have been pleased with it. Once installed, it slips on or off in seconds. I ordered mine off their web site and it came to about $125.00 cdn delivered. Shipped through the post office, no hassles. With the exchange now it will be a little more. Even if they charge HST, there is no duty so you are looking 13% plus a small post office fee.

Cheers,

Norm.

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Hi Katie,

Many people here have tried the Grasshopper backrest and have been pleased with it. Once installed, it slips on or off in seconds. I ordered mine off their web site and it came to about $125.00 cdn delivered. Shipped through the post office, no hassles. With the exchange now it will be a little more. Even if they charge HST, there is no duty so you are looking 13% plus a small post office fee.

Cheers,

Norm.
+1 on the Grasshopper backrest, it is well made and I love the one I have with the studs to match my C50T. It is not adjustable, but the position for your back is just right (IMHO).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts