Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I was just wondering what a good windsheild would be for my 2008 C50. I would like one that would be easy to put on and remove. And what would be a good size to get.

thanks
Joe

·
Registered
491 Posts
I put a Memphis Fats on mine. No vibration when I'm riding, and though I haven't tried to take it off yet it bolts to the mounts with hex nuts and is supposed to be quick removal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Memphis Fats also. Very easy to remove and install; less than 1 minute with the provided hex tool.

·
Administrator
16,388 Posts
The National Cycle Switchblade windshield is the fastest changing windshield. No tools required and less than 5 seconds to put on and off. It is also a polycarb windshield versus a lexan.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mine is 21", but it will depend on how tall you are (sitting height), what seat you have (some aftermarket seats are lower), and your riding posture. I'm 5'9", but I have to sit up straight in the seat so my back doesn't hurt. When sitting in your normal riding position, the top of the windshield should make a level line to the bridge of your nose. You should be looking just slightly above the top of the windshield.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The National Cycle Switchblade windshield is by far the best one on the market...case closed!

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
I've got a Memphis Shades Fats....Sorry, but I don't plan on anyone hitting me with a baseball bat or firing a gun at my shield. :lol:

Definitely get the right size for your height...If you find a Memphis Shades dealer in your area, they should have a measurement template that they hold up to your bike while you're sitting on it to obtain the correct measurement. Even if you don't buy a MS shield, you'll have an idea about size.

·
Administrator
16,388 Posts
For what it's worth. Last year I had a 1" rock come at me on the highway while doing 80mph. It hit about 1" down from the top and although it still scared the crap out of me. it put a small nick in the windshield, and bounced away.

I was sure glad I had a polycarb windshield.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
I've had both the Nat'l Cycle switchblade, and the Memphis Fats. In my opinion, the switchblade is a much nicer product. It's more curved and the glass is thicker so it holds up to the wind better. The mounting brackets are not as intrusive, though I didn't have the Fats on my C50, it was on our Vulcan 1500. There, the brackets were large pieces of aluminum that covered up nice details on the front of the forks, and flexed a lot. The shield vibrated a ton at idle, and flapped in the wind. I ended up trading it to someone for an OEM Vulcan shield that is much shorter but a lot nicer.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Capt Cruiser said:
For what it's worth. Last year I had a 1" rock come at me on the highway while doing 80mph. It hit about 1" down from the top and although it still scared the crap out of me. it put a small nick in the windshield, and bounced away.

I was sure glad I had a polycarb windshield.
did you stop and measure it afterwards? :p

Polycard is just a fancy way of saying "spend more money". I've taken rocks and a bird or two off lexan shileds over the years, and never had more than a small nick in the shield. Thanks, but I'm not drinking the polycarb koolaid.

·
Registered
697 Posts
gdbontly said:
Mine is 21", but it will depend on how tall you are (sitting height), what seat you have (some aftermarket seats are lower), and your riding posture. I'm 5'9", but I have to sit up straight in the seat so my back doesn't hurt. When sitting in your normal riding position, the top of the windshield should make a level line to the bridge of your nose. You should be looking just slightly above the top of the windshield.
You also need to consider what you want to shield from the wind. I am 6 foot and I started with a 21" Memphis Fats...then a 19"...then a 17"...and now a 15". I obviously look WAY over the shield, but for me thats fine. I seem to get a little less buffeting and I ride with a half helmet and sunglasses with no issues. But the majority of the wind is blocked from my chest...where it really bothers me the most. Definitely stop by a Memhis Shades dealer and see what size makes the most sense for you.

·
Registered
7,830 Posts
graymulligan said:
:biglaugh: I just almost had Dr Pepper on my screen!

·
Registered
801 Posts
windshield

I also have memphis fats 19' gradient blue with quick release I got shield brand new on e-bay for $120 bucks :D

·
Registered
801 Posts
windshield

I also have memphis fats 19' gradient blue with quick release I got shield brand new on e-bay for $120 bucks :D

·
Administrator
16,388 Posts
graymulligan said:
Didn't have to stop and measure it - looked to be a little bigger than 1/3 of your manhood so I guessed 1" :roll:

J/K

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Think I will be going with the National Cycle one. The only thing is don't know were to get it from. i live to Ontario and I don't know of any dealers here that sell them. Will have to order from the U S. Do any of you know where the best place get it from is.

Thanks
Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts