Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my brakes a while back but the little metal tab that warns you of low brake pad fell out and I havent been able to figure out how to get it back in. I looked inline at the manual but the photos were fuzzy.

I have a 2004 Volusia. Anyone give me any instructions on how to replce this .

It is for the front brake pads.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
I don't have the instructions but I can offer a bit of advice.

The brake pad has a groove in the middle of it. Inspect that groove every time you check your air pressure. When the pads wear to the point that the groove is no longer visible then it is time to replace them.

It seems to me there was a post a couple of months back discussing brake life and that most folks were getting 30K or more on the brakes.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Every set of pads I've ever seen (including the 5 or so sets I put on the Vol) have the tab an integral part of the pad. I't's just a tang on the steel backing plate bent over at a 90 deg angle. Replacing when the middle groove goes away is a bit premature to me, there's way more pad to go before the tang starts to rub.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
jpaige said:
Every set of pads I've ever seen (including the 5 or so sets I put on the Vol) have the tab an integral part of the pad. I't's just a tang on the steel backing plate bent over at a 90 deg angle. Replacing when the middle groove goes away is a bit premature to me, there's way more pad to go before the tang starts to rub.
True, but minus the tang it's probably better to be a bit premature in replacement than to wait until it's too late.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Better safe than sorry is always a good rule. I'll take the engineer's side this one time. They make my job a living hell at work, but every now and then they get it right. Just don't tell them I said this :shock: They get a big head anytime they get something right. It's up to us that actually make things to keep them honest.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
jpaige said:
Better safe than sorry is always a good rule. I'll take the engineer's side this one time. They make my job a living hell at work, but every now and then they get it right. Just don't tell them I said this :shock: They get a big head anytime they get something right. It's up to us that actually make things to keep them honest.
Don't forget to let me know if you plan on stopping for a meal or layover in the Portland area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts