Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone hopefully a few can help me with my questions an jetting my bike. Im running cobra slash cut drag pipes with big city thunder baffles and bought a k&n filter for the stock airbox, i bought a cobra stage 1 jet kit online before doing research on which kit I need, I talked to an engineer at cobra and he thinks I would need a stage 2 kit but I can not find one. Stage 3 would be too much I have been told for stock air filter box. I plan to have the cycle shop down the road install it, they said they would rejet the carb for $100 if I had the jet kit. So my question is can I use the stage one and they add more spacers or is a stage 2 kit totally different? Btw the pipes sound awesome, the ass dyno seems to think it has more power now but to say it does is a guess. Not any slower thats for sure.

·
Registered
19,507 Posts
The butt dyno is the most notoriously inaccurate method of measuring power gains in a motor vehicle. It sounds faster, you expect it to be faster so you automatically feel it is faster. Placebo effect. Nothing more.

Take your kit to the shop and pay them to do it right. If they can, have them do a dyno tune. Your bike will then be properly set-up and run right, without having to fiddle with jets and mixture screws....

A note of caution. The Vol only gets 40-43mpg stock. Dumping more gas into the carb is going to seriously reduce your fuel economy. Don't be surprised when you only get low to mid-30's..... There is no such thing as free power....

·
Registered
686 Posts
Don't be surprised when you only get low to mid-30's..... There is no such thing as free power....
True, power ain't free, but gosh, mid-hi 30's is what I get and it is pathetic for a little bike. Here's a quick calculation: Vol 1.18 hp per miles-per-gallon my Dodge truck 13.3 hp per mile-per-gallon. My truck is actually 11 times more efficient. Does this mean anything? I don't know, just made it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get an average of 40-45mpg thats running cobra pipes with baffles, i will post in the next few weeks after I get the bike jetted what kind of millage it gets. But I didnt buy my motorcycle to save on fuel I bought it to have fun when weather permits, in Ohio thats only a few months per year. Skrapiron has some really good ideas so far. I think I want to try a diamond white HID bulb with LED bulbs in the lightbar, im picturing that looking good, may do LED turns as well but I have yet to find a quality LED turn signal design I like. Lol yes I know the butt dyno is about as accurate as a coin flip.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You should be fine with the stage 1. I think the only diff between stage 1 and 3 is the stage 3 comes with a air jet plug. I was going to have mine Dyno tuned but the shop wanted $400 just to dyno it,another $300 to install the kit.I saved alot of money doing it myself with the help from all these fine VR members here. I was getting about 43 mpg with stock air box and jardine flair tips. Now I get about 39mpg with naked jugs and same exhaust.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts