Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 marauder 800. Just rebuilt carbs. and installed new float needles and seats. I need to know where to set the floats in the carbs. I have found info on the rear carb (Mikuni BS 36) but I can not find info on the front (Mikuni BDS 36) I like to set the float hieght with a clear tube on the float bowl drain, so if someone could post a pic. of where the level is on there bike it would be a big help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Let me try again, I have a bad stumble between 2k and 3k. The diaphragms are good and the main needles are not adjustable. Carbs are synchronized and pilot jets tuned in, so I suspect the float hieght because I changed the needles, does this sound right or am I looking in the wrong place.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Let me try again, I have a bad stumble between 2k and 3k. The diaphragms are good and the main needles are not adjustable. Carbs are synchronized and pilot jets tuned in, so I suspect the float hieght because I changed the needles, does this sound right or am I looking in the wrong place.
Can you describe the operating conditions/engine loading when the stumble occurres.

What other engine mods have been done to the bike?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine starts and idles great, I let it warm up and push the choke all the way in. When I accelerate it is fine till about the 2k to 3k area. It does not matter how much throttle I give it or what gear its in, it stumbles and them once I get above 3k it takes off like a raped ape. There is no popping in the exhaust, the stumble feels like im flipping the "run" switch on and off really fast but it still accelerates.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A little more on the bike, everthing is stock, it has 5k miles and has been sitting in my uncles garage for 10 years, the fuel lines deteriorated and there was rust in the gas tank. He cleaned the carbs last year when he decided to sell it but could not get it tuned in. I sealed the tank, replaced the fuel lines, installed new plugs and rebuilt the carbs. The pilot screws still had the plugs on them so I removed them and got it synced and tuned in real nice, but it rides like crap. Ive rebuilt about every carb. out there and they have always run great, so im no dummy, but im overlooking something here.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've found removing the adjusting screws and spraying holes with GumOut carb cleaner solved a weird problem for me. I would think a misadjusted float would have more effect at the top end rather than along the way.

The carb rebuild kit often will have info on setting floats.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I googled it. Says 1 1/8". This is the height from the gasket surface to the highest part of the float, with the carb off and inverted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts