Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start, thanks to everyone that may suggest adding a light bar or other auxiliary lighting. I may just do that but want to run down this idea first.

I am trying to increase my viability to oncoming traffic and am considering altering the way the front turn signals/running lights are wired. There is a study I read that indicates amber lights offer increased visibility over white lights, especially in bright sun conditions. If I recall, the rating for the bulbs in the front turn signals are about 26 watts for the turn signal filament and the running light filament is something less than 5 watts. I toyed with the idea of just reversing the leads but I was advised on this forum there would be issues with running that much wattage through the ignition switch and that the dimmer filament rewired to function as the flashing turn signal would not be able to be seen against the background light from the brighter filament.

So, with that sage advice, I did some studying and think I may be able to use a normally closed relay wired like this. I think it would eliminate the dimmer filament, have the brighter filament remain on as a running light, and, since this is all downstream of the flasher mechanism, cycle the brighter filament on and off to function as the turn signal.
So, if all the really smart folks out there that understand electricity and other voodoo could comment, it would be appreciated.

Thanks and good hunting

·
Registered
390 Posts
Technically, this design, with a separate relay for each side, will work.

That being said, do consider another aspect of this design; Your modified running lights will no doubt have higher wattage but I am not sure how you would go about measuring the luminosity of the modified setup. In other words, without the large reflectors that are built into light bars or even 4411 bulb housings, I am not sure how much more visible you will be with this modified setup and how much light this will throw on the road ahead of you.

I understand that you want to run down this idea before deciding on adding a light bar. If you do decide to add one, I would recommend Grote Lightbar mod for the Volusia continued. I used that design and am very happy with it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Technically, this design, with a separate relay for each side, will work.

That being said, do consider another aspect of this design; Your modified running lights will no doubt have higher wattage but I am not sure how you would go about measuring the luminosity of the modified setup. In other words, without the large reflectors that are built into light bars or even 4411 bulb housings, I am not sure how much more visible you will be with this modified setup and how much light this will throw on the road ahead of you.

I understand that you want to run down this idea before deciding on adding a light bar. If you do decide to add one, I would recommend Grote Lightbar mod for the Volusia continued. I used that design and am very happy with it.
T
hanks for the input. I pulled these specs for a 1157 bulb.
402/38 Lumens
27.3/8.4
Watts
I agree with you that I don't know how much more light this will throw out, but since my objective is to be seen, not to see, I would hope it would be linear and the brighter 402 lumen filament would be over ten times brighter than the current 38 lumen running light.

Again, thanks for the insight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts