Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife loves riding with me (and riding her own bike when able) but says that the passenger seat isn't wide enough (I measured it to roughly 10") and I've been wanting a backrest for myself so I started looking at some options. I think I have it narrowed down between a studded Mustang seat (w/o backrest, looks like it will be high enough with the passenger seat for my lower backs liking) and a Saddlemen Explorer Special. Just wanted any inputs on these two or any others that anyone could recommend. I'm leaning more towards the Saddlemen because it looks like the backrest for me would be higher but all of the reviews I've read said that it is quite firm (at first). Also I can't find any width dimensions anywhere, the Mustang seat is about 12" for the passenger which I think would suffice for her. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
My wife loves riding with me (and riding her own bike when able) but says that the passenger seat isn't wide enough (I measured it to roughly 10") and I've been wanting a backrest for myself so I started looking at some options. I think I have it narrowed down between a studded Mustang seat (w/o backrest, looks like it will be high enough with the passenger seat for my lower backs liking) and a Saddlemen Explorer Special. Just wanted any inputs on these two or any others that anyone could recommend. I'm leaning more towards the Saddlemen because it looks like the backrest for me would be higher but all of the reviews I've read said that it is quite firm (at first). Also I can't find any width dimensions anywhere, the Mustang seat is about 12" for the passenger which I think would suffice for her. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
I found a used mustang seat with the drivers backrest in mint condition.... I wouldn't be without it.... especially on longer rides! The back rest is a life saver but you can always take it off and throw it into the saddle bag!!

My wife is way more comfortable on the wider mustang seat as well.... everybody is happy!!! :biglaugh:

I'm not familiar with the saddleman product so someone else will have to chime in on that one....

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Can't speak for the Saddleman, but I had a Mustang seat when I had the C50. It's not cushy-soft, rather firm but I always found it very comfortable and spent a lot of long days riding with no problem -- even a couple 1000 mile days. My wife has her own bike, but has spent many 8 hour days on the back of mine for long rides and loves the Mustang, and anytime it comes up is always telling people how comfortable it is.

If you do any long riding a backrest is well worth it. I take mine off a lot of the time for around town or short rides, but it makes a world of difference in comfort and reducing fatigue on any ride. On the C50 I had a Grasshopper aftermarket backrest with my Mustang -- not as pretty & chromed as the Mustang, but it was comfortable.

Don't have dimensions but can tell you the Mustang was substantially thicker than the stock seats. Here's some pictures I took several years ago for another thread comparing the stock & Mustang.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Mustang with removable backrest

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Another vote for the mustang with backrest. I have a two piece now but if I could do it all over I would opt for the drivers back rest.
It is not just the width of the pillion seat it is also the construction that makes it good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the inputs everyone, I was leaning more towards the Saddlemen strictly for the price but I suppose I should just bite the bullet and put out the extra couple hundred for the Mustang with the backrest. Don't wanna fall into the old adage of "you get what you pay for"!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
401 Posts
We have an Ultimate seat, driver's, passenger and are very happy with it. Again, awful pricey though. Passenger seat is 14 inches wide towards the back, then narrows significantly as it gets closer to the driver's seat. My wife is 5' nothing and of average build and has seen countless 300+ mile days and a few 400+ milers and has no problem.

·
Registered
20,212 Posts
We have the mustang 3piece set with backrest and love them. Wife could barely ride half an hr. on the stock seat but can now ride all day on the mustang.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

·
Registered
99,999 Posts
Mustang seat and passenger foot boards make a huge difference on the passenger comfort.

·
Premium Member
3,734 Posts
I, too, put Mustang seats on and my wife loved them. I, however, didn't like the width so put my stock seat back on and reconfigured the rear seat attachment so I could use the stock for everyday and the Mustang rear seat for when my wife rides. Best of both worlds.

·
Registered
36 Posts
How is the fitting for the mustang wide touring seat??? I heard you need an adapter plate cause it's a two bolt and that with the plate it doesn't really tighten into the fender but just slide in the mounting hole??

If that's the case my only concern is having someone walk off with it.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
How is the fitting for the mustang wide touring seat??? I heard you need an adapter plate cause it's a two bolt and that with the plate it doesn't really tighten into the fender but just slide in the mounting hole??

If that's the case my only concern is having someone walk off with it.
The bracket is as you described. There is a another fastener on the rear portion of the seat. A person that wanted the rear seat, could use a hex head tool to remove that fastener.

There are lots of accessories that can be removed with a tool that would be more valuable than a rear seat. I think it's low on the list of stolen items.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts