Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished changing the coolant on my brother’s 2006 C50 and have a question. I disconnected the radiator hose at the pump, drained the old coolant, flushed the system with distilled water, reconnected the radiator hose, and slowly refilled the radiator with the new coolant. Then I rocked the bike back and forth several times to burp the system of air, and topped off the coolant again. I then started the bike with the radiator cap off, expecting the coolant to drop again and needing to be topped off. But it did not. As the bike began to reach operating temperature, the coolant actually began to occasionally bubble up and overflow out of the filler neck, then when I turned the bike off, there was a large surge of coolant that came out of the filler neck. The bike was running for maybe 10-15 minutes. I never noticed the radiator fan kick on, nor did the temperature light come on. At this point I really don’t know what to do next. Is this normal? Is it possible that I overfilled the system? I’m debating whether or not I should just drain the system and start over! Do you guys have any advice on what might be causing this, or what I should do next? I’d really appreciate any help you guys can give me!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Mark, Did you make a note of how much new coolant you used? Mine took 1500ml, 3.2/2.6 us/imp.pt... , a tiny bit over .. that was what the manual specified. Under that, and there may be air in it.
Could be an air pocket rising pushed the coolant out?
I 'burped' mine by leaning the bike over as far as I dare to the left, and shook it a bit, then the same to the right, and a gulp or two of air came out. topped it up, then the reservoir at the pump end.

·
Administrator
52,635 Posts
Most of the time, folks tend to add the coolant too quickly, which traps air in the radiator, and elsewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Mark, Did you make a note of how much new coolant you used? Mine took 1500ml, 3.2/2.6 us/imp.pt... , a tiny bit over .. that was what the manual specified. Under that, and there may be air in it.
Could be an air pocket rising pushed the coolant out?
I 'burped' mine by leaning the bike over as far as I dare to the left, and shook it a bit, then the same to the right, and a gulp or two of air came out. topped it up, then the reservoir at the pump end.
I didn’t take note of how much coolant I added. I just filled it “very slowly” to the top of the filler neck. Then leaned the bike over on both sides until the floor boards were touching the ground! I got one good burp of air, and that was it! I added a little bit more coolant and again tilted the bike from side to side, no burp this time! So I started the bike up expecting the coolant to drop a bit, but it did not, instead it started to bubble up and overflow as the bike got hot! Maybe I’ll try rocking the bike back and forth some more to see if I can get more air out of the system. Any other ideas on how to get the air out of the system? Do you guys think I should just drain it again and start over, this time measuring how much coolant I add? Thanks again for all your help!

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are concerned, then maybe drain the system, get a 2litre jug and measure the amount you retrieve, don't forget the reservoir. As it's new fluid, you should be able to use it again, as long as it's not contaminated during removal.
Refil some, lean bike, refil a bit more, lean bike, maybe give the hoses a squeeze, being careful not to damage them, and trickle the fluid in slowly. Think I leaned mine about three times to be sure. Good luck.
It is worth doing, as my fluid was old, and now, my fan takes longer to kick in than before, so I think the cooling is more efficient than it was.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you are concerned, then maybe drain the system, get a 2litre jug and measure the amount you retrieve, don't forget the reservoir. As it's new fluid, you should be able to use it again, as long as it's not contaminated during removal.
Refil some, lean bike, refil a bit more, lean bike, maybe give the hoses a squeeze, being careful not to damage them, and trickle the fluid in slowly. Think I leaned mine about three times to be sure. Good luck.
It is worth doing, as my fluid was old, and now, my fan takes longer to kick in than before, so I think the cooling is more efficient than it was.
Sound good, I’ll give it a try! Does the 1500ml the manual calls for includes what’s in the reservoir? Or is that just what’s in the radiator/engine? Thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts