Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an '04 VL800. 23,000 miles on it, runs great. Did a honest abe on exhaust, removed all the guts last year, runs great and love the sound. looking to go louder though. Im doing the spring tune up and ordered a K&N air filter. Currently have OEM filter on it. once i get and install the K&N air filter, will it still run fine, with no re-jetting needed. from what ive read on here from others, sometimes runs fine, sometimes runs like ****. not looking to mess things up on my baby. Also, looking to get either cruzers or straight shots in a few months..what will sound best..i LOVE LOUD deep rumbling pipes. also, how do i know what re-jetting kit to get. are they all the same sizes, or what. im pretty mechanically inclined and sure i can do it myself from what ive seen online, just never had any re-jetting experience. Thanks for the feedback!!!

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
Your messin' with intake and exhaust ........ you'll re-jet either way.

If you were just doing the K&N, I'd say stick with OEM.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Tman..since ive gutted my stock pipes and the bike runs great, can i assume that replacing them with straight shots they will have the same back pressure and the bike should run the same if i stick with oem filter and no re-jetting?

·
Premium Member
9,059 Posts
I would think that to be a better bet.

I'd also wait for a bit for others to get in on this topic as I messed with my intake and left the pipes alone. I had to re-jet.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Thanks Tman..since ive gutted my stock pipes and the bike runs great, can i assume that replacing them with straight shots they will have the same back pressure and the bike should run the same if i stick with oem filter and no re-jetting?
I would say that is most likely not correct. Straightshots ( and virtually all replacement systems) have larger header pipes from the jugs back to the rear. That being said, most of the need for rejetting comes from the intake side. I needed to rejet my '02 after simply changing from an OEM filter to a K&N. Most of the bike come lean from the factory and benefit from a rejet, even if keeping the stock pipes and intake.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have an 04 with a K&N filter and Hard Khrome 3" exhaust...If you want loud, that's the system you're looking for. I'm no mechanic but IMO you'll need to re-jet.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I went the pod filter route. Have jardine flair tips. On 04 Vol. I got a stage 3 kit from thunder per dynojets suggestion. You will need to buy a pilot jet seperate as it doesn't come in kit. Powerbarn.com is where I got all my extra jets. You probably will need stage1 since your leaving your stock air box.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks okie dog...the jet kits are around $50-$80, and they come with jets and parts i wont ever use..is there a place i can buy only what i will use out of dynojet kit for my application..just order what i need according to the jet matrix listed here, and pay a little less..

·
Registered
439 Posts
The Powerbarn has the jets don't know about needle,clip,washers. I just got the kit to have something to choose from. I've rejeted about 4 times now, almost perfect. Remember all info. Is just to get you close. Your machine will tell you when its right.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks okie..that brings me to one last question..the rejet matrix on here says

Aftermarket or stock pipes (baffles or debaffled) & Uni filter or K&N (airbox mounted):
150 or 155 main, 37.5 pilot jet, dyno spring, dyno needle on 3rd notch, mix screw at 2.5 - 3 turns. Adjust idle knob as needed to reach 1100 rpm.

this will be my new setup when my K&N filter arrives..the main says 150 or 155..how do i know which one to use..do i install one of them, put it all back together, then if it doesnt run tear it all apart again, put the other one in..seems like a pain..thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
Yes it can be a pain, but that's what we get for running a carb. Its really not that bad, I just take my time, have a couple beers, and make sure you don't loose any pieces.I would start with the larger of the two to get you on the rich side. Make sure to put new plugs in while you there. Go put some miles on it. Pull the plugs, see what they look like, change jets if needed. I've done it several times to try and find that sweet spot.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok sounds great..time to order the jet kit..going with stage 1 dynojet..she runs great now, as is, but i got a new filter coming so i know ill need to rejet..hope i dont mess her up..lol..thanks!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts