Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you need to remove the tank to get the neck cover off?
i tried to get it off with out doing that but maybe just did'nt give it anough force. i'm just oredered a crome cover.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
You can probably get it off without taking the tank off but you will probably damage the tab connector that holds the two of them together at the top. Probably not an issue for you since you are putting new ones on. However, it may be a challenge to get the new chrome ones on properly since you won't be able to access the area where the tab connectors are at the top.

Need a hand? I've got free time today since it's colder than snot.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
You can get them off but verrrry hard to get back on without taking the tank off. Not impossible though.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Keep it simple. Take the tank off.

·
Registered
17,974 Posts
You can do it if you slide the tank back about an inch or so. As they said, watch
out for the little tab connector on the top. It's a doozy.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Neck covers on my 07 don't have a clip under the tank. They were constantly loose and out of alignment. Had tank off yesterday to relocate throttle cables, put a piece of good old duct tape across the top of both covers. Problem solved, and invisible with tank back in place.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can just squeeze it on without moving the tank BUT wouldn't it be great to split the new plastic chrome cover while putting it on because you have to use too much pressure and twist it slightly?

I moved the tank for mine !

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
They cost too much to take the chance, and it is not that much trouble just to slide the tank back a little. Take your time and do it right, you'll enjoy them more intact.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I took my tank off and I STILL broke the little tabs on the top of the chrome covers where they meet...I ended up using epoxy to hold them together...
its hidden under the tank now, where the glue is, but its on there well!

do it right the first time!

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
You spent that much money for chrome neck covers, lifting the tank is the cheapest part of your project. Take the tank off.

It is almost like asking, I bought a DJ Drive, can I do it without taking off the rear tire?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts