Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when I put the bike away last year I noticed a nail head , tack head or something in the rear tir . Didnt ride much over the winter . Got the bike out a while back and have been rideing alot no problems . Then I rememberd the nail , pressure is fine . I'm afraid to pull it out and start a leak until I can get a new tube and a new tire , need a new tire anyway . My queation is : If the nail was long enough , aftyer all tis time and rieing dont you think it would have lost air pressure by now ? I know I should pull it but if it starts leaking thats no rideing .

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I would think that if it were long enough to puncture the tube you would have a flat tire by now. If you keep riding it with it in there it may just work it's way deep enough to puncture the tube and then you "WILL" have a flat tire. Probably at the worst possible time............Pull it out and watch it for a day or two without riding, or replace it.

·
Administrator
54,233 Posts
I've had several short nails in the rear tire, but caught them before an actual puncture occurred.

Like Duffy sez........ :wink:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeh if the nail is in the tube it would go flat. I would pull it out you are taking a chance by leaving it in.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats what i was thinking . not long enough but could work its way in . im going to put it up on a stand now , pull the nail and check the pressure this afternoon . if it is leaking i should see a drop in pressure in 4 or 5 hours . thanks

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pulled the nail , turned out to be a 1/4" long tack sprayed some windex on the hole no bubbles . maybe i lucked out . i will check the pressure later . keep your fingers crossed for me , i want to go out for a scoot later .

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Sounds like you just lucked out and saved about $50 to have the tire removed and tube replaced. Time to use a dollar of that and buy a lottery ticket. Luck may still be smiling on you. :D

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no problems . pressure was fine last night and went for a ride . Pressure is still up this morning .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts