Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over this past weekend a dealer near me had the Yamaha demo truck on site for test rides. so I figured I'd check out what bikes they had and see what feels comfortable. so I approach the guy and said before I sign all the paperwork for a bike to test ride, I'd like to sit on one to see if I feel good on it first, so he says to go in the showroom first and sit on some, the 2 cruisers that had were the V Star 1300 and the 1900 strat. so I go in. first sat on the V star, no way Jose, way to cramped. next the strat, and it felt the same, (I thought are you kidding me) here is a bike more than 2 and half times larger than mine and my bike is more comfortable. so I asked the sales guy about forward controls, he said Yamaha doesn't make em. so he tries to convince me that high pegs will serve the purpose. I disagreed 100%. I said I could put high way pegs on a 250 Honda and I'd be fine on it, but when 98% of my riding on NOT on the pegs I'd like to feel right during that time. They also sold Honda's there, and none of those bikes fit either.
so I walked out. frustrated. My visit is Triumph next week, keeping my fingers crossed. did I mention I went back to the demo truck and told the guys none of the bikes fit me, then I invited them to sit on mine, you should have seen the guys face when he sat on my bike, sadly, he agreed with me, I need long extensions on my next bike and Yamaha is not in the running.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Very interesting.

I have heard that the C50 is the biggest medium size cruiser around. Are you riding a C50?

Let us know about you future test rides.

·
Premium Member
6,301 Posts
Yes, he rides a C50 with Johns fowards.

Gary, there are forward kits for the Roadliner and the Strat. they are not made by Yamaha but they exist.
MeanCycles | FORWARD CONTROL RELOCATION KIT FOR XV1900 STRATOLINER & ROADLINER 06-10 - Part No: PA16220142

As you know with your height finding one that fits will always be a challenge. Touring bikes are not made to have your legs that far forward so they will always feel cramped to you. Surprised that the Strat felt that way but with the forwards it probably would be perfect.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Quit the cruiser scene and try other designs if your riding style is 98% without hwy pegs. Or go look at the dreaded Harley, it probably meets everything you wish for.

Myself, at 6'4" I hate hwy pegs and forward controls. Tried the pegs 34 years ago and hated them then.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Goldwing trike sure won't solve your problem. most of the rest will. go for it!

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Getting the perfect fit is a challenge and keeps places like Dennis Kirk and JP cycles in business for years selling aftermarket seats, pegs, risers and handlebars.

My issue is ALWAYS handlebars, have yet to own a bike I didn't change bars or risers.

If the C50 fits and you want to go bigger why not a C90 ?

·
Premium Member
5,046 Posts
Look at anything but a Harley. They're just for losers and posers who ride from bar to bar.
And those are the touring models. Most have to stop and get the feeling back in their hands half way there. :biglaugh:

Funny. I am looking at getting one for my next bike. Who knows.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The c90 would be a good choice however John does not make his forward controls for the c90.maybe we all should start a thread to encourage john to make them for the c90........the stock c50 did not fit me either, and I sat on the stock c90, that didn't fit either, so I NEED FC...JOHN IF YOU ARE OUT THERE I HOPE YOU SEE THIS THREAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
I've got Johns forwards on my C50. Brilliant craftsmanship but not exactly brain surgery. If you were to remove them from your C50 and show a good fabricator you need the same thing for a C90 I'm sure they could do it. I can think of 3 independent shops in my area off the top of my head that could handle the job.

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
And those are the touring models. Most have to stop and get the feeling back in their hands half way there. :biglaugh:

Funny. I am looking at getting one for my next bike. Who knows.
That's the sweet thing about that electronic cruise, it's easy to give either hand a rest. :wayhappy:

(and Harley's are smooth as butter off idle).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.