Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I decided that today was going to be the day for my very first ride. During my lifetime, I have never piloted a motorcycle that had gears. I kept the ride confined to my subdivision and strangely enough, it went well. I practiced using the turn signals along with down shifting. I will not get on the open highway until after I complete a motorcycle training class. Today was a good day!

·
The Village Idiot
5,021 Posts
Sweet!
Just make sure you get in the MSF beginning riders course before you get too far into riding and develop bad habits. I took the course before I even bought my ride...Glad I did. It's a great course and I am positive it has helped me keep the rubber side down.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
670 Posts
Sweet!
Just make sure you get in the MSF beginning riders course before you get too far into riding and develop bad habits. I took the course before I even bought my ride...Glad I did. It's a great course and I am positive it has helped me keep the rubber side down.
I did the same thing. I have taken all available motorcycle courses now. Not only is that because I care about safety, but they are a requirement for riders in the military.

Congrats on first bike though. You'll enjoy it more than you know!!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Congrats. During the practice phase, you might stay away from too much front brake use. The rear will slow you down quite a bit to turn, and stop. The front brake use comes with lots and lots of practice. In the first few rides, too much front brake can throw the weight of the bike forward for stops and has a chance to do down. Good luck.

RV

·
Registered
421 Posts
I concur what's been said here, get in that class soon and get training and your endorsement! The time and $ is the best thing you can do. I did the MSF last October and had never ridden before, my first bike was a 1990s Suzuki 125 we had in class ��.

There's no better way to learn from the instructors years of experience and your fellow students, and you come out of there well prepared.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cool on your first ride and staying close to home,that what I did why I waiting to take the class( which was awesome and learned a lot from the instructors). I was the entertainment for my neighbors while I was learning( wasn't allow to leave the property unless I had my hubby or son to ride with) so with helmet, gear and bike I ended up making a track on the acre and half of land.LMAO

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Cool on your first ride and staying close to home,that what I did why I waiting to take the class( which was awesome and learned a lot from the instructors). I was the entertainment for my neighbors while I was learning( wasn't allow to leave the property unless I had my hubby or son to ride with) so with helmet, gear and bike I ended up making a track on the acre and half of land.LMAO

Too funny! I'm sure your neighbors enjoyed the process! :wayhappy:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Saw a bumpersticker this morning that said, "Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous" Well motorcycles are still dangerous.
Take the course and live the course.
Get to know your bike.
Get to know your limitations.
Always be on alert for stupid non attentive drivers.
Oh yeah, have fun.

Congratulations for stepping outside your comfort zone to experience something new and wonderful.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I don't know how old you are CDUBL but I was in your shoes just 2 years ago at age 57. The excitement and terror of learning to ride is indescribable to anyone who hasn't done it....followed by an equally indescribable deep sense of accomplishment and freedom once mastered. Not that anyone ever really 'master's riding, but after training and getting several thousand miles saddle time, a calmness will offset some of that fear, turning it into pure joy and thrill. I regret not doing this sooner in life. Welcome to the road!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Practice makes perfect!
Lucky you though, I'm amazed you have an acre + to practice on... I wish I had even half an acre

1 - 18 of 18 Posts