Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son left this morning for Basic and AIT in the National Guard. He will be gone for about 5 1/2 months. He is in the states and safe, but I miss him already! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

It is really time for him to go out on his own, but the house will seem empty without him. What will I do with my Saturday nights now that I don't have to wait up until 2:30 a.m. for him to come home? :lol:

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
funbikerchick said:
What will I do with my Saturday nights now that I don't have to wait up until 2:30 a.m. for him to come home? :lol:
C'mon, you're a newlywed! I'm sure you can come up with something to keep you (and Steve) busy! :twisted:

Hope your son kicks a$$ during training and stays safe!

·
Premium Member
11,858 Posts
^^ i'm with snake on this one - can't steve keep you occupied in the wee hours of the morning? :wink:

all joking aside, i know it's tough to see him go, but with a little luck and a lot of hard work on his part, he'll come back to make you prouder of him than ever! :D

cheers!

-mistress k

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Awwww...

Felt the same way when our dodohead kid left for San Diego a few years back.

I miss those calls from Lejeune whining about the Marine Corps.

:wink:

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jimKo said:
Awwww...

Felt the same way when our dodohead kid left for San Diego a few years back.

I miss those calls from Lejeune whining about the Marine Corps.

:wink:
Your son was a Hollywood Marine??!! :lol: When my son joined the National Guard I told him I supposed I could still be proud of him even though it wasn't the Corps! :lol: :lol:

Anyway, his launching from the pad is way past due, but I still do miss him and he hasn't even left the state yet!!! I am proud that he finally made this choice though. He has been going to drills since October because in the Guard as soon as you sign up you are in unlike reserves and active duty. I have already seen a change. I can't wait to see what miracles they can wrought in 6 months!

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mort said:
Good luck to him in training. Thank him for serving. Where is he training?
Relaxin' jackson... Fort Jackson, South Carolina. His biggest complaint is he will miss all of the Red Sox season. I raised the boy right, I must say!!! :lol:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Good luck to him and you as well. He will come back a different person and man. Send lots of letters and KIT with his girlfriend if he has one. The llast thing he needs is a dear john.

He's in good hands....rough but good

Brian

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
funbikerchick said:
Mort said:
Relaxin' jackson... Fort Jackson, South Carolina. His biggest complaint is he will miss all of the Red Sox season. I raised the boy right, I must say!!! :lol:
My son just went back to Fort Jackson 2 weeks ago. He reupped, changed specialties. He was at Ft Benning, his basic was at Fort Jackson. Last night he called to tell me Ft Jackson is a lot more fun when you are not in basic training there.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mort said:
funbikerchick said:
Mort said:
My son just went back to Fort Jackson 2 weeks ago. He reupped, changed specialties. He was at Ft Benning, his basic was at Fort Jackson. Last night he called to tell me Ft Jackson is a lot more fun when you are not in basic training there.
I bet!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
That's great.. I hope he does well. I also did BCT at Ft. Jackson(probably before your boy was born. :( LOL)

Tell him to have a blast at Victory Forge... and to look for a dent within the first 15 ft (from the top) of Victory Tower (the rappel wall)... the friggin thing almost killed me and I did a face plant! LOL I swear I left skin on that thing.

Looks like he's getting in just in time, he should be done before the temps get TOO high... there is nothing like Ft. Jackson in July/August.. I swear that place is 10-15 degrees hotter than Columbia...

What is his desired MOS?

·
Registered
218 Posts
He will be just fine, I did my Basic and AIT there ( I started on 1 July though.... much hotter) just let him know to keep quiet and not let the drill sergeant learn his name. if the drill don't know you then you aren't in trouble. :lol:

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
apuls56 said:
He will be just fine, I did my Basic and AIT there ( I started on 1 July though.... much hotter) just let him know to keep quiet and not let the drill sergeant learn his name. if the drill don't know you then you aren't in trouble. :lol:
LOL... and DON'T VOLUNTEER! ROFL

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Umple Z said:
That's great.. I hope he does well. I also did BCT at Ft. Jackson(probably before your boy was born. :( LOL)

Tell him to have a blast at Victory Forge... and to look for a dent within the first 15 ft (from the top) of Victory Tower (the rappel wall)... the friggin thing almost killed me and I did a face plant! LOL I swear I left skin on that thing.

Looks like he's getting in just in time, he should be done before the temps get TOO high... there is nothing like Ft. Jackson in July/August.. I swear that place is 10-15 degrees hotter than Columbia...

What is his desired MOS?
Well, he is going to be there all summer because his AIT is there as well. He is going to be a light wheel mechanic.

apuls56 said:
He will be just fine, I did my Basic and AIT there ( I started on 1 July though.... much hotter) just let him know to keep quiet and not let the drill sergeant learn his name. if the drill don't know you then you aren't in trouble.
In the Guard since October he has been going to their Recruit Sustainment Program monthly drills. They do mini bootcamp to get them used to all the yelling and to give them a chance to fire an M16, do some pugil stick stuff, qualify in the pool, learn rank structure, etc. This past month he attended the briefing for those shipping out to basic. They reminded them that all that happens is they get yelled at. No one hits them or anything. They have been dealing with it each weekend and should be able to handle it for a while longer. I hope so.

I told him to remember that he only had to put up with the BS for a short while. When he comes back he is essentially a civilian except for once a month and two weeks a year (until he gets called up, of course). Told him to just think about how those in his platoon at basic that are regular Army won't be able to just go home after the training. They will be living the Army life for several years full time. If it weren't for his son, I would love to see him go active duty too...

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Umple Z said:
apuls56 said:
LOL... and DON'T VOLUNTEER! ROFL
Yeah, they actually told us that in Boot Camp in the Marine Corps. They said, don't volunteer or you will be viewed as a brown-nose. Instead they would always say things like "I need two volunteers, you and you." :lol:

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Is light wheel mechanic like working with Hummers? My son is there at Ft Jackson from now until August to learn to work on Hummers. I was in the Air Force, on flight status so we got to volunteer the E grade guys.

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah. Pretty much.

Of course, I have read they keep the ones right out of basic separated from those who have been in a while attending AIT. They tell the "old timers" to not get too friendly with them because the rules for those right out of basic are just a slight bump up from basic and this isn't true of those going to AIT after being in for a while.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
funbikerchick said:
... He is going to be a light wheel mechanic.
VERY cool... I was a 63B for a short period of time with the 187 Ordinance at Jackson, until I was made aware of an opportunity as 11B (Infantry) with the 101st Airborne. I figured I'd have more opportunities if I decided to make a career out of it with an airborne division.. didn't stay in long enough to realize it though. I was always told if you wanted advancement either jump in(or out) of a plane, or become an MP.. Figured airborne assault was close enough! ;)

Mort said:
Is light wheel mechanic like working with Hummers?
light wheel mech is a 63B.. they work on anything as long as it has wheels and no mounted weapons... if it has mounted weapons or multiple axles then it's up to a 63S (heavy wheel mech).. (So it depends on the function of the hummer who gets to wrench on it) and if it has tracks, then it goes to the 63(Y or X?.. idk it's been a while.)

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
My son had to grow up with me, Air Force, telling him there is absolutely NO REASON to bailout of a perfectly operating aircraft. If God wanted you to jump out of a good airplane he would not have allowed landing gears. But son doesn't listen, he still wants his purple baret.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts