Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten MANY MANY PM's about my rear fender bag. To me it was just a way to get a bit of on the road storage, and an easy way to cover or use the 2 holes left from the removal of the license plate frame!

Anyway, for all interested, here goes:

Any 10" bike bag/roll will do, BUT you will NOT be using any of the straps that came with it, so be sure to get a bag where you can remove all straps/buckles from the back!

1. There are small rubber washers/bushings, that sat in the fender holes to keep the mounting holes aligned and secure...remove them and trim them down and re-insert them to keep the holes aligned, and provide rubber cushion between the bag and fender:

2. sit bag on fender tail light assembly, and mark with a nail from backside of fender holes, to know where holes in bag should be.
**important** when drilling the actual holes, drill them 1/4"-1/2" below where you originally marked them. this will allow the bag to sit just above the tail light, and once things are in it, the weight will allow for it to settle down...you DONT want the bag to actually sit ON the taillight assembly...

3. Go to Home Depot, and purchase a piece of 3"x7" sheet metal strapping used for framing, and stud work. all of 89 cents! trim the edges off so you dont have sharp corners. then mark and drill out 2 holes in the bottom centered on the metal. Drill the holes about 1/4" from the bottom of the plate. This plate will become the rigid backbone inside your bag, keeping it sitting properly, and give structural support for the soft leather.

4. Take any glue or adhesive, and cut and glue a piece of scrap fabric (I used old sweat pants) to the front and fold it over the edges. The fabric will prevent anything like a cell phone or keys, or a lighter, from rattling against the metal or getting damaged.

5. Now simply re-assemble the parts...lay the rubber washer/bushings in the holes to allign them, insert the metal plate into the bag (NOT outside of it!), insert the original bolts from the license plate frame, and you're done!

A quick functional solution to the 2 holes in the fender....
as a bonus, the light from the tail light that used to light the plate, now comes in handy when looking in the bag at night to find something!

I hope someone found it useful!

ENJOY! :applause: [/i]

·
Registered
628 Posts
VERY good mod!!! Thanks a lot. I'm ordering a chrome cover that may be big enough to cover the holes. But if that's a no go, this is next!

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
Thanks Tripod. I saw this and went right out to the garage and moved the license plate down below the light assembly (I'd been wanting to do that but couldn't think of anything decent to cover those holes) and then attached my tool bag as you did yours. Didn't have to buy anything as I had all the stuff laying around. The whole affair took about 3 hours. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Clever idea... I was wondering where to put my tool bag

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
MacDev Militia said:
Where did you buy clear turnsignal lences?
Company called ClearAlternatives makes them and Clear/Smoked Taillight lenses. They are available through Cruiser Customizing, J & P, Phat performance and many other online dealers.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
dont worry...its the right ones....the CTS-0032 are for the newer bikes, with the lens screw on the bottom...
the CTS-0031 are for the older pre-04 boulevards with the 2 screws on the lens face...
the picture on their website is wrong, but the item is correct!

you want the CTS-0032, which is what the item is!
you'll be fine!

I went over the top...it comes with amber bulbs as well, but I didn't like the look (I wanted them to look totaly white/clear, until I turned them on) so I bought chrome coated 1156 (turn signal) and 1157(tail light) bulbs, that wont show color AT ALL unless they are on....if you look at the pics in my original post, you will see that the tail light and signals appear TOTALLY clear...thats due to the silver coated bulbs inside, otherwise you are going to see the bulb color and it will tint the lens slightly...
but then again, I am neurotic like that!

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CB-1157

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CB-1156

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great idea!!! I would never of thought of that, as i was reading your posts i was wondering how you'd keep it sturdy enough, that plate was an excellent idea. I have a similiar idea for my saddle bags. I couldn't afford the mounting hardward so i made my own MOD with somemetal strapping but seeing your metal plate idea i'm going to use it to strenghten my modification. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
166 Posts
I almost forgot, where did you get the rear chrome bottom piece on your fender? That is really cool.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
metzgers3jjl said:
I almost forgot, where did you get the rear chrome bottom piece on your fender? That is really cool.
National Cycle makes them for both fenders. Nice but a bit pricy. I like mine.

·
Banned
1,017 Posts
Tripod said:
dont worry...its the right ones....the CTS-0032 are for the newer bikes, with the lens screw on the bottom...
the CTS-0031 are for the older pre-04 boulevards with the 2 screws on the lens face...
the picture on their website is wrong, but the item is correct!

you want the CTS-0032, which is what the item is!
you'll be fine!

I went over the top...it comes with amber bulbs as well, but I didn't like the look (I wanted them to look totaly white/clear, until I turned them on) so I bought chrome coated 1156 (turn signal) and 1157(tail light) bulbs, that wont show color AT ALL unless they are on....if you look at the pics in my original post, you will see that the tail light and signals appear TOTALLY clear...thats due to the silver coated bulbs inside, otherwise you are going to see the bulb color and it will tint the lens slightly...
but then again, I am neurotic like that!

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CB-1157

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CB-1156
Ok I got all the lenses and bulbs. While installing bulbs I ran into problem. After I incert and twist lamp metal getting stripped from lamp contacts. And i didn't even put a lot of effort into it. Same happen with another side blinker........So I just changed yellow lenses to clear one and left stock clear lamps inside.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts