Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the advantages to getting older is that you can use age to justify new tools that do jobs easier.

I crawled around on concrete on my knees under jets for 25 years so those knees are a bit of a problem for me

I used that excuse to justify an air assist bike jack made by Pitbull

The shelf is a homemad mod and an idea I stole from a member on another forum. 1/4 sheet of plywood, some indoor outdoor carpet I had laying around and some 3/4 angle aluminium for trim.

Hook it up to my air compressor and it works so nice...

The shelf is for setting "stuff" on while I work.

Now I look for excuses so I CAN use the lift instead of excuses NOT to use one.

·
Registered
238 Posts
very nice anything to get off the ground =)

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I wish my Garage looked that orderly! Very impressive!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Hey Viper, got blueprints of the shelf? Maybe a writeup :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Great looking Man Cave

One of the advantages to getting older is that you can use age to justify new tools that do jobs easier.

I crawled around on concrete on my knees under jets for 25 years so those knees are a bit of a problem for me

I used that excuse to justify an air assist bike jack made by Pitbull

The shelf is a homemad mod and an idea I stole from a member on another forum. 1/4 sheet of plywood, some indoor outdoor carpet I had laying around and some 3/4 angle aluminium for trim.

Hook it up to my air compressor and it works so nice...

The shelf is for setting "stuff" on while I work.

Now I look for excuses so I CAN use the lift instead of excuses NOT to use one.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Outstanding "MAN CAVE"!!
Cheers,

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Viper, got blueprints of the shelf? Maybe a writeup :)
I'm lucky to have figured out how to post a picture. :biglaugh:

It's just a 1/4 sheet of 3/4 plywood (2'X4'). I marked the center cross wise and took the width of the cradle uprights (pieces the shelf had to slide between) and centered that distance on my center mark. The slots are one inch wide. Couldn't find my saber saw so I cut along the lines I marked with a skill saw. I drilled holes across that 1 inch width area and just broke the wood out. Smoothed it out with a die grinder (use what ya got at hand)

Used my speed square as a guide and cut the corners to 45 degrees (easier on the shins when you run into it).

The carpet was an after thought, just something I had setting in the corner. I've used the aluminium trim on other projects.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Great write up, now to make myself one

·
Premium Member
28,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I forgot to mention that it helps to have a brace underneath running the lenth of the shelf. The part of the shelf that is not supported by the lift mechanism is not very sturdy as it unsupported. I just run a 4 foot 1X2 under the length of the shelf and secure it with two spring clamps. Otherwise the pump side of the shelf flexes without any support under it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.