Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... I just got home... from the shiny side NOT being up.. :cry:

I was riding with my brother back from a holiday xmas light show in the rain, at night , and I was deep in thought about something that was said at the show when suddenly there was a turn! (almost like it was out of nowhere! but it wasn't, there was signs I just didn't see em due to thought :p )

So... Since the turn was at such short notice, and I was going 60mph (because it was a highway), ... I did what I could to slow down without skidding out of control but even then I could not help but leaving the roadway and flying into a tree.

I did not die( I think, the jurry is still out.. there might be some brain damage but I think thats from before the wreck).

Crash bar is mangled, windshield broken to bits, and the darn rear left turn signal that I JUST REPLACED (and took 6 months to order the dang part) is broken off again. I burned myself on the muffler while trying with all my might to light my baby back upright but in the end, I required the aid from 2 bicyclist that happened to be passing by and heard the loud noise. Otherwise, no damages to person, ego, or equipment (that I know of yet).

Some people in this situation might get scared and swear against riding.
I'm going to take this as a lesson learned. THINKING IS THE DEVIL!... or... bad, at very least... just stick to thinking about where you're going when you ride folks ;-)

Infact, I managed to ride it the remaining 20 miles home (even WITH the headlight pointing at the sky!)

anyways, thats all I got for you folks today.. I'm ganna goto sleep now so I can do 12 hours of work tomorrow. hoorah for somebody watching over me, I'm ganna go buy a lottery ticket.

·
Premium Member
7,067 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. "Thinking IS the Devil" when riding ............. you have to always be concentrating!

Reactions: Atrus

·
Premium Member
3,042 Posts
I'm glad to see you're still vertical . Thanks for the honest report. Takes a man to give the facts. Also takes a man to accept blame.

hooray for somebody watching over me, thank you LORD.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
Christmas Angels..indeed

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you're ok. Only one thing to do now, get her fixed up, and get back on her.
Take care, Mac

·
Registered
272 Posts
Good to know that you're okay and could actually ride to the house. Situations escalate fast when it's dark and raining. Hope you're not sore today. Take care.

·
Super Moderator
28,292 Posts
You definitely need to have your head in the ride with you! Glad you're OK brother! I hope you went to the doctor and got checked out. You may not find your worst injury for a few days. When I went down the one injury I didn't notice was my left shoulder. A year and a half later that's the only injury I'm still suffering from.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
"I'm going to take this as a lesson learned. THINKING IS THE DEVIL!... or... bad, at very least... just stick to thinking about where you're going when you ride folks
"

Yes it is.... That's how I managed to miss a turn and crash. Happy to hear you are for the most part- OK. :wayhappy:

·
Super Moderator
22,500 Posts
sorry about your "mishap"....walking away from man and bike vs tree is good ...hope the repairs go well...take care.

·
Registered
21,666 Posts
Glad to hear that you could walk away from it.
Riding takes your utmost attention (as you just learned). It takes more when at night or raining. Get it fixed and enjoy. You just learned a valuable lessen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Get well soon brother, I'm glad you were able to walk/ride away from the mishap :)
I am still recovering from mine cast came off two days ago, Also it doesn't hurt to go to the Dr and get checked out.

Thank The Lord for those angles <><

·
Registered
219 Posts
I was once told by a guy who has been riding his entire life, the guy who now works on my bikes, that there are only two kinds of riders out there. There are those who have wrecked, and those who are going to wreck. I have been riding since I was pre-teen and have not wrecked yet. I am hoping mine comes before I am 60.

I am glad that you are in good shape though. I would also advise going to a doctor. I had some guy from Quebec hit me in my truck (1992 Dakota Club Cab LE) doing 60mph in a 45mph zone, head-on. His Ranger was destroyed (2001 model, all weak metals) and I drove and parked mine. I felt fine so I did not go to a doctor due to feeling great. The week after I hurt bad on my left shoulder. It still bothers me at times. Guess the belt locked up on it or something.

Now, get that thing fixed up and get back to it!

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Yup entering a curve too hot is probably the #1 cause of motorcyclists self-caused wrecks (besides just dropping it). Glad you are ok, sorta!

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
One of life's many lessons.......glad to hear you survived it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Most accidents are totally out of your control, environment, 3rd parties, mechanicals.

You'll be kicking yourself for years over a mind fade moment.

Glad you're still around to tell the tale.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you everybody for your comments.

Yes I feel very sore today, it feels like I just did some intense exercises for the first time in years (except all over).

I may end up going to the doctor afterall, just to make sure everything is fine.

I checked out the bike this morning when I left for work, and everything is fine on it except the headlight needs reposition, windshield removed, and turn signal glued back on. Then it will be back in riding order. I expect to be riding it to work tomorrow morning :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I would have it checked out by a shop first. If the frame is bent a bit or anything it could affect riding and pose a threat to you. I would anyway. I wouldn't want to find out about something I did not catch when it causes a problem at road speed.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I tend to avoid nighttime motorcycle riding but I can understand Christmas lights.
Motorcycles tend to not throw enough light down the road at night so I tend to hang back and let a car lead the way at night as cars light up the road way better. And my nighttime vision isn't that good, Particularly if I don't know the road.

Glad to hear you are OK.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts