Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So...as the title said, just got my first bike...Absolutely love to ride, just never owned a bike till now:) So, stock C50T...Question is, what accessories would you add and in what order would you add them if you were on a limited buget (very limited, 2 kids and a 3rd on the way :))

I was thinking at some point I want to add highway bars/pegs, iso grips, mustang seat, risers and a light bar. Ive only put 500miles on the bike since I bought it. Longest ride Ive taken on the bike is a couple hour trip... I did face a lil finger tingling, little numbass, and a little soreness/tension between my shoulder blades... none of it completely unbearable but I would like to take some longer rides at some point so...

I was thinking highway bars are a good idea being a new rider, anything capable of saving my legs/motor might b good if/when I was to dump the bike, risers for the shoulders, grips for finger tingling, seat for ass numbness, and light bar to be seen...

I guess what Im asking is for the educated folks on this amazing forum what would you do to a virtually new (1700mi) 06 c50t if you had a 300ish$ limit for accessories. Im kinda partial to the tried and true name brand stuff...ie mustang, cobra, kuryakyn, etc. so please don't suggest stuff like using sockets as riser spacers, or cheap 20$ iso grips from ebay. Thanks:wayhappy:

·
Super Moderator
34,435 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Highway bars are a great starting point, as they give you a place to put highway pegs for comfort, and they protect the bike in the event of a stop and drop.

I do highly recommend that you take the MSF Basic Rider Course ASAP if you haven't. Ride safe.

·
Registered
171 Posts
New Rider

So...as the title said, just got my first bike...Absolutely love to ride, just never owned a bike till now:) So, stock C50T...Question is, what accessories would you add and in what order would you add them if you were on a limited buget (very limited, 2 kids and a 3rd on the way :))

I was thinking at some point I want to add highway bars/pegs, iso grips, mustang seat, risers and a light bar. Ive only put 500miles on the bike since I bought it. Longest ride Ive taken on the bike is a couple hour trip... I did face a lil finger tingling, little numbass, and a little soreness/tension between my shoulder blades... none of it completely unbearable but I would like to take some longer rides at some point so...

I was thinking highway bars are a good idea being a new rider, anything capable of saving my legs/motor might b good if/when I was to dump the bike, risers for the shoulders, grips for finger tingling, seat for ass numbness, and light bar to be seen...

I guess what Im asking is for the educated folks on this amazing forum what would you do to a virtually new (1700mi) 06 c50t if you had a 300ish$ limit for accessories. Im kinda partial to the tried and true name brand stuff...ie mustang, cobra, kuryakyn, etc. so please don't suggest stuff like using sockets as riser spacers, or cheap 20$ iso grips from ebay. Thanks:wayhappy:
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Hey Friend,
Welcome to the forum!! Best suggestion, take that Rider Course, then get some Suzuki highway bars!
Ride Safe My Friend!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks whisky

Ive heard great things about the MSF course. That was originally what I was gonna spend my lil buget on...However, a friend of mine is an instructor, so I have taken the "unofficial course" from him... Then I went and got my motorcycle endorsement. I hope that doesn't just sound like a lame excuse to spend money on toys rather than safety:-?

As for the highway bars...a bunch of what Ive read on here suggests the cobra bars... are there other options I should look into or are the cobra bars the best bang for the buck?

·
Registered
801 Posts
I highly recommend the mc enterprises highway bar

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
I too like my crash bars but as far as safety I feel that having a light bar with 4411's has helped me more than anything I have done. I turned my light bar off after a month of having it and after an hour or two turned it back on because of cars again not seeing me and pulling out in front of my bike. It has never been off since. As several in another post agree nothing on the road has three lights abreast like a bike with a light bar. I highly recommend this mod. for the safety factor,

·
Administrator
53,904 Posts
I'd refrain from adding highway bar mounted foot rests, until You've had enough experience to know WHEN and WHEN NOT to use those rests.

Rather, add rider comfort items such as Kuryakyn Grips, with a Kuryakyn Throttle Boss.....avoid buying a throttle lock or cruise control until You are a more experienced rider.
Check out the VR Forum Supporting Vendors, for reasonable pricing and free shipping with certain vendors and/or items, etc.

Riders Discount

BMW Motorcycle Parts - Aftermarket & Performance | MotoSport

Motorcycle Gear | Buy Motorcycle Helmets, Jackets, Parts, Tires & more

Value-Accessories

Four inch setback risers will ease the shoulder and back strain some, and for some folks, a better seat helps to prevent buttocks and lower back pain.
Most here prefer the Mustang seat, though We do have a Supporting Forum Vendor on board here, ie, Ultimate Seats, and I'm told their products are the creme_de_la creme.

I use the Suzuki Factory Gel Seats, and although extra firm to the touch, they seem to do the trick for Me.
My gel seats, purchased from new a Texas Suzuki Dealer via internet, were around $150, shipped.

A back rest for the rider is another item that should be purchased, ASAP, though if a Mustang seat is in the future, You may want to hold off on that backrest purchase.
You can buy a decent backrest from VR member Lonnie Alsteens, or purchase the corresponding backrest from the seat manufacturer which You have chosen.
Lonnie does build backrests for Suzuki Factory seats, for both standard and gel seats, plus, He builds backrests for Mustang seats as well.

Mustang sells their seats with or without a backrest, and regarding the VR Forum Supporting Vendor, Ultimate Seats, You would have to contact them to determine if that particular item is available.

Another option for finding a Custom seat or Mustang seat is, the Swap Meet Forum, where frequently, there is good used items available from Volusia Riders.com members.

·
Registered
23,778 Posts
Lets start by saying "Greetings from Indiana".
I'm only 5'7" so I found a set of 4" risers with a 2" pullback fit me perfect. I then added a used mustang seat with backrest eleminated my butt pain. A pair of Kury iso grips took care of the tingle in the fingers. I then added the cobra bars (used from here).I'm now getting ready to make my own lightbar that has been posted here with the lights being the most expensive part @ $58a pr.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Psyco...I am going to wait on the pegs...more due to monitary reasons...Ill prolly grab the cobra highway bars first and the light bar next...I'm thinking that will get me a lil more safety...more comfort will just have to wait till I come across some more funds unless I was to come across some sort of crazy deal on the luxury items like grips seats and risers.However, I have found the web locations that u listed very usefully fro when I do grab some more accessories...thanks and thanked:)

·
Pearly Gates Chapter
5,471 Posts
Hey worm,
Check the swap meet section often...always a deal there.
I've only been riding a few years now and my first season...I had the tingly fingers too...but because of my death grip on the bars more than anything.
If I were in your boots, I would hold off on getting anything for a little while until you are comfortable and relaxed riding. You might find that nerves or tensing up is half the battle.
For me, the stock gel seat is perfectly fine. I also have no problems with my stock handles. The one thing that I do want to get are engine guards and foot pegs because I do need to stretch my legs after a while in the saddle. I have held off because like you, I have a 12 year old, 8 year old and a 2 year old...So that leaves me with only time to ride is my way into work...and that is a short trip.
I figure by the time I will have free time to ride off into the sunset, I will either get my crash bars then or in will be onto my next bike and know what to look for.
Safe riding and enjoy the new toy.

·
Pearly Gates Chapter
4,789 Posts
search

WWF. Lots of great suggestions from members. MSF. BARS. GRIPS. Etc...
I like to go into SEARCH MODE on the forum. 99.9% of the time someone else covered your question or fine tuned your search. Good luck and ride safe. Best. D

·
Registered
14 Posts
cobra crash bars was the first acc I put on my bike, it is worth it, price 100 to 200$

·
Registered
198 Posts
Highway bars are the first thing I would add, if for nothing else just to protect the plastics and lights from an accidental tip. Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
382 Posts
The order in which I added stuff to my C50T:

Cobra Highway bars - immediately: gotta minimize damage if it drops
Driving lights/light bar - immediately: gotta be seen
Brake light modulator/flasher - immediately: gotta be seen
Leatherlyke saddle bags - immediately (I bought a bike that didn't come with bags)
Suzuki OEM windshield - immediately (I bought a bike that didn't come with the windshield)
Power outlet & GPS ball mount - after about 2 weeks
Memphis Shades lowers - after about 2 weeks: everyone is right, the head buffeting is unacceptable if you have just a windshield
Ultimate seat with backrest - after about 6 weeks: the stock seat is just plain awful after one hour
1-3/4" riser spacers - after about 8 weeks: I could feel the difference in my shoulders after a long ride, these are about the tallest risers you can put on without having to change cables, at least on my 2012 model, and I'm not telling you about Jim's risers because they happen to be very economical (which they are), but because the fit and finish matches right up to your stock risers and you can't even tell they were added.

I've really got no other plans to add anything else - I don't need highway pegs to be comfortable, the riding posture with the slightly added height and pullback from the risers, the Ultimate seat and the stock floorboards puts everything in the perfect location for me (6'1", 215). I never feel the need to put my feet up or forward in order to feel more comfortable on long (all-day) rides.

Edit: Oops, forgot to mention the cheapie (Vista) throttle lock. You can attack finger numbness by trying to go with softer grips, or you can use a throttle lock and stop putting the death grip on the throttle when you are cruising down a straight stretch of highway at a fixed speed. The throttle lock did the trick for me. I added that after about 8 weeks.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Fortunately, my bike had most things on it already. I hadn't really thought about purchasing add-ons when I got the bike. I was quite shocked at the prices for most things. That $300 won't last long if buying new equipment or even used.

I think the highway bars first makes a lot of sense if they are big enough to protect the bike from a simple drop. I have stopped and dropped mine on both sides (not afraid to admit it) because it was surprisingly easy to do. With the bars, you are protecting your investment by not having to replace any parts which would cut into the money for other things.

I used the money I had saved on the purchase of the bike for the Mustang seat which I purchased lightly used from a person here. I have made some other slight changes and will make a few more because they are already in the works.

My advice: Watch for what people are selling here on the forum as they take their bikes back to stock to sell, order something and change their minds or total their bikes and want to sell of the extras. Look closely at pictures and find gently used, almost new items. This takes some patience but gives you time to save money between purchases.

Enjoy the ride! I am enjoying mine a lot. Almost rode this morning in 36 degrees...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got back into biking with a 2009 C50T. Mine already had the highway bars. Just added the Kuryakyn grips with throttle boss. What a difference. Also going to add rear rack to backrest and possibly a ultimate seat down the road. Put 1800km on mine so far and love it. Hope you enjoy yours.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.