Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 419 Posts

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
moenko said:
.... If you feel you lean too much, roll off the throttle some...
Wrong advice Moenko. Rolling off the throttle will LOWER the front end and cause the Cobra's to ground MORE. This is very likely what happened to cause the accident.

In the situatiion described what you have to do is ROLL ON THE THROTTLE - this lifts the front end to lessen the scraping. If you don't want to gain speed then you also have to brake the REAR brake. You brake enough to control the extra power only so that rear wheel traction is unnaffected.

The Cobra bars are a DANGEROUS design - they have no give or yield or warning. They will lift your front wheel out of contact under certain circumstances as reported by others. The floorboards pivot and give you a warning. Because of the reported dangers of these bars I reversed mine for more clearance. (Had the floorboards off anyway to cure the silly riding position)

All the opinions here which suggest that this is a cruiser so you shouldn't ride like that are missing the point that NO type of machine should be made less safe by poorly thought out or designed accessories.

I SAY SUE THEM BIG-TIME

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have the cobra engine guards, and have never had a problem. I am not an agressive rider. I feel that we as riders, take that chance everytime we get on our bikes that we could get injured. We have to be responsable for our own actions. Even without the engine guards on the bike, there will be a point where something else is going to scrape. I haven't heard of anyone else sueing suzuki because they crashed their bike because they leaned too hard in a corner. I think there are times when lawsuits are justified, but I don't see it here. There are people that have been saved from injuries because of the cobra engine guards. With all that, I do hope you recover well!

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
CycleBiker said:
I SAY SUE THEM BIG-TIME
And add the lady who sue's McDonalds cause the coffee was to hot. :roll:

Why is it s hard to man up to a mistake. He said he went 30MPH into a 90 degree corner. He's on a cruiser, not a sportbike. He added crash bars, and should've been bright enough to know his bikes limitations. He didn't, he crashed...he crashed, not the bars, not the bike, the rider did.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall if this was taken to court, just to see the defense rip the case apart with excessive speed, and not knowing the riders/bikes limitations. When I put my Cobras on my Vol, I actually took hold of the handlebars and leaned the bike over till it touched, just to get an idea of what I had to work with. Too bad the original poster didn't have the same forethought or he possibly wouldn't have gotten himself into this mess.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
The Volusianator said:
And add the lady who sue's McDonalds cause the coffee was to hot. :roll: .
What's wrong with you smirking cretins - the coffee was sold to a person in a drive through TO DRINK. The coffee was so hot that when she spilled it in her lap SHE HAD TO HAVE SKIN GRAFTS.

These bars are so dangerous because they give no warning like the floorboards do. What's more when they do start scraping the natural reaction is to roll off the throttle which is a fatal reaction. In those circumtstances I say he has a good case and if a class action suit could be initiated then it could be very remunerative. I suggest contacting a good class action lawyer.

·
Premium Member
2,777 Posts
CycleBiker said:
The Volusianator said:
What's wrong with you smirking cretins - the coffee was sold to a person in a drive through TO DRINK. The coffee was so hot that when she spilled it in her lap SHE HAD TO HAVE SKIN GRAFTS.

These bars are so dangerous because they give no warning like the floorboards do. What's more when they do start scraping the natural reaction is to roll off the throttle which is a fatal reaction. In those circumtstances I say he has a good case and if a class action suit could be initiated then it could be very remunerative. I suggest contacting a good class action lawyer.
Coffee aside: I can think of numerous modifications that are made to our bikes every day, using commercially available products, that make them 'less safe' as you stated in your earlier post. Just because the accessory makes it 'less safe' does not imply it is 'poorly thought out or designed..'.

Examples: Anything that moves feet away from controls (pegs on bars, etc). Anything that changes CG (big bags, bicycle mounts :) , etc.), Cruise control products...the list goes on I'm sure.

The point is that all of these items, including Cobra highway bars, are safe if used in a responsible manner.

I feel bad for bad dog and his results and wish him a speedy recovery from his injuries. I hope that whatever legal course he takes will be taken on the advice of a good attorney and not us 'smirking cretins'.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First , sorry to hear that you crashed your bike . I too believe that the bars aren't totally at fault . If you hang something like that off the side of your bike it can hit the ground easier . It seems people put them on for a place to mount the highway pegs that they put on them . I would not put them on my bike , because for one , I don't like the looks of them . They also give something hard to dig into the ground . One has to take responsibilty for ones own actions . Like going to fast into a corner and going down . I have went to fast into a corner like that and made it through alright . But then again , I was on a Suzuki Bandit , not a C50 .

·
Banned
19,530 Posts
i feel that the rider was at fault for not knowing the limitations of his bike. im not gonna sue the maker of my couch cause my a$$ is big from sitting her watching the boob tube. man up, accept what happened and move on.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
All I can say is I feel your pain, as I recently crashed and have a busted left leg with lots of nice new hardware installed. Sorry it happened to you. :(

Other side of the coin, my Volusia took me through many curves in the years I owned her, and my Cobra bars never touched down. The floorboard pegs did, SEVERAL times, but never the bars.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pretty soon we won't be able to buy any accesories for our bikes because manufacturers will no longer want to assume the liability! It has become a huge problem in this country. We pay higher prices for things because of all these lawsuits. Your probably paying an extra .40 per cup of mcdonalds coffee now because someone couldn't hold on to theirs. Manufacturers do need to be accountable to produce safe products. But they can't be there on the bike to ride it for you.

·
Banned
19,530 Posts
so i have read this thread again. i dont think that it was ever mentioned what the cobra bars where made for. they were made to protect your motor in the event you go down. they where not meant to flex or move. they were meant to be strong in the event the bike ever went down or over.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
bobcatpat said:
Pretty soon we won't be able to buy any accesories for our bikes because manufacturers will no longer want to assume the liability! It has become a huge problem in this country. We pay higher prices for things because of all these lawsuits. Your probably paying an extra .40 per cup of mcdonalds coffee now because someone couldn't hold on to theirs. Manufacturers do need to be accountable to produce safe products. But they can't be there on the bike to ride it for you.

Exactly!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
mewellsar said:
basshole said:
This is from the instructions that come with Cobra "Freeway Bars"

Cobra Freeway Bars add style to your motorcycle. They are not designed to withstand a serious impact and
may not protect you and/or your motorcycle in the event of a crash.
Nowhere in this disclaimer does it say, "these bars look cool, but if you lean too much they will cause a crash."
No it doesn't but if you lean too far without them, you crash too, for goodness sake. I wasn't there and I didn't see it and I feel for the guy who busted his leg.

However, I say learn to ride your bike. When you put something new on it, perticularily if it STICKS OUT learn to ride it again. It is different now. Most people over ride their skills. That makes people fall.

CG

·
Banned
13,763 Posts
CycleBiker said:
the coffee was sold to a person in a drive through TO DRINK. The coffee was so hot that when she spilled it in her lap SHE HAD TO HAVE SKIN GRAFTS.
So the coffee is ok to drink, just not have on your lap. Let's look at that for a minute. Maybe the damage to her lap was then caused by the jeans she was wearing holding the heat to her skin, that's it, let's sue Levis for making such a durable material that it caused her injuries! :roll:

CycleBiker said:
These bars are so dangerous because they give no warning like the floorboards do.
Well, if they flexed, then they wouldn't really be very good at what they were intended to do, so there's another law suit for you. Wow, you just keep racking up these court dates now don't you!

CycleBiker said:
What's more when they do start scraping the natural reaction is to roll off the throttle which is a fatal reaction.
So now he can again turn and sue the state in which he got his motorcycle permit because they didn't train him properly in how to handle this situation. There's law suit number three in this case. Man, this dude's gonna make millions and I should maybe consider a law career.

CycleBiker said:
In those circumtstances I say he has a good case and if a class action suit could be initiated then it could be very remunerative. I suggest contacting a good class action lawyer.
I hope if this ever goes to trial, I can be there, hell, I'l ride my bike in and show them my Cobra bars, how scraped they are on the underside from road rash and show them how my bike never went down. Now maybe I should practice for the defense, damn I'm confused.

What I do know is people like you CB make America what it is today, a bunch of freakin' wining puss bags. I don't even know who posted the original thread, hell for all I know it's one of my good friends, in which case I'd tell him personally, "grow up and admit you made a mistake"! This isn't about a company that developed and sold a dangerous accessory, it's about a motorcycle rider who went to fast into a curve and crashed. We accept the risk the day we purchase our motorcycle. So what if he goes into that corner without the Cobras, goes to fast and the rear tire slides out, do you now sue the tire Mfg. for not selling a safe tire, why not, it didn't grab right? Or maybe you sue Suzuki for not installing some sort of device to alert you that you're leaning your bike to far and that an accident is forthcoming if you don't correct your position? The deal is, most of us bought the Vol/Bol because it was cheap. Period. Go ahead, tell me of how you (not you but anybody reading) bought yours because you've owned as many bikes as Mr E. and I'll be damned but the Vol is the best bike ever...BS, most of us bought the Vol because of price point. Why is the Vol priced the way it is, because it doesn't have ABS brakes, some sort of crash bars that will protect you in case of a fall but fold up nicely if your just touching them a bit in a tight turn. Let's get realistic. Save the law suits for when some drunk a$$ hits a bus load of little leaugers, or some 15 year old car jacker hits the boy from across the road on his bike. There are bigger fish to fry than worrying about some guy who went into a corner to hot and wants to find someone else to blame than the guy he looks at in the mirror.

·
Banned
19,530 Posts
The Volusianator said:
CycleBiker said:
the coffee was sold to a person in a drive through TO DRINK. The coffee was so hot that when she spilled it in her lap SHE HAD TO HAVE SKIN GRAFTS.
So the coffee is ok to drink, just not have on your lap. Let's look at that for a minute. Maybe the damage to her lap was then caused by the jeans she was wearing holding the heat to her skin, that's it, let's sue Levis for making such a durable material that it caused her injuries! :roll:

CycleBiker said:
These bars are so dangerous because they give no warning like the floorboards do.
Well, if they flexed, then they wouldn't really be very good at what they were intended to do, so there's another law suit for you. Wow, you just keep racking up these court dates now don't you!

CycleBiker said:
What's more when they do start scraping the natural reaction is to roll off the throttle which is a fatal reaction.
So now he can again turn and sue the state in which he got his motorcycle permit because they didn't train him properly in how to handle this situation. There's law suit number three in this case. Man, this dude's gonna make millions and I should maybe consider a law career.

CycleBiker said:
In those circumtstances I say he has a good case and if a class action suit could be initiated then it could be very remunerative. I suggest contacting a good class action lawyer.
I hope if this ever goes to trial, I can be there, hell, I'l ride my bike in and show them my Cobra bars, how scraped they are on the underside from road rash and show them how my bike never went down. Now maybe I should practice for the defense, damn I'm confused.

What I do know is people like you CB make America what it is today, a bunch of freakin' wining puss bags. I don't even know who posted the original thread, hell for all I know it's one of my good friends, in which case I'd tell him personally, "grow up and admit you made a mistake"! This isn't about a company that developed and sold a dangerous accessory, it's about a motorcycle rider who went to fast into a curve and crashed. We accept the risk the day we purchase our motorcycle. So what if he goes into that corner without the Cobras, goes to fast and the rear tire slides out, do you now sue the tire Mfg. for not selling a safe tire, why not, it didn't grab right? Or maybe you sue Suzuki for not installing some sort of device to alert you that you're leaning your bike to far and that an accident is forthcoming if you don't correct your position? The deal is, most of us bought the Vol/Bol because it was cheap. Period. Go ahead, tell me of how you (not you but anybody reading) bought yours because you've owned as many bikes as Mr E. and I'll be damned but the Vol is the best bike ever...BS, most of us bought the Vol because of price point. Why is the Vol priced the way it is, because it doesn't have ABS brakes, some sort of crash bars that will protect you in case of a fall but fold up nicely if your just touching them a bit in a tight turn. Let's get realistic. Save the law suits for when some drunk a$$ hits a bus load of little leaugers, or some 15 year old car jacker hits the boy from across the road on his bike. There are bigger fish to fry than worrying about some guy who went into a corner to hot and wants to find someone else to blame than the guy he looks at in the mirror.
:applause:

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
God I can see the line of ambulance chaser lining up at your door already. So have you sued the toilet paper company yet for when you poked your finger though the paper and got crap on your finger? :roll: :p

CycleBiker said:
The Volusianator said:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
After reading all of this I am glad my sister starts law school in the fall. I have no doubt she will never be short of work and will be rich.

Then I can beat her up and take her money.

·
Registered
551 Posts
First of al...PLEASE GET WELL SOON! I will put you in my prayer list! (If you got any extra Percocet....let me know :wink: )

that being said, this is REDICULOUS! I actually went and tried to sort this out.

Below is a photo of a stretch of road I routinely ride here in Maryland. its a high speed road with a big old 90 degree turn in it....
leading up to it, there are MANY MANY signs CLEARLY indicating that there is a hard turn coming and to slow down to 20 mph!!! AND THAT SPEED WAS DETERMINED FOR CAGERS ON 4 WHEELS!

I also actually went out into the garage, and laid MY BIKE down on its left side, just to where the Cobra bar hit the floor.....I WILL NOT BE DOING IT AGAIN.....I did it because I wanted to see the angle the bike woud be at for this to occur, and if it would be ridable through it!

Basically, I cannot see how the Cobra bar could possibly be at fault....AT ALL!! far too many other varaibles: road condition, oncoming traffic pattern, did you utilize the motorcycle O.I.O method of handling a turn (Outside Inside Outside) to try and minimize the anngle and straighten the turn out....

you took a turn like this:

with the bike leaning like this:(imagine actually sitting on the bike riding!!)

AND AT 30 MPH!! :scream:

Evenif you were to make that turn like that routinely, you do it knowing full well that if the engine guard catches asphalt, you got a better than 50% chance of EATING the asphalt!! If you dont know that going in........

PLEASE sign up for a Motorcycle safety course...ASAP!
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/motosafeprogram.html

PLEASE stop all of this nonsense aleady...just get better, fix your bike , and go back out and ride....but do it safely....
If you REALLY have a death wish....you should be down in Daytona at Bike week! I hear its REAL easy to crash there as well.....and they blame EVERYTHING on the bike as well....and not the beer! :wink:

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
The Volusianator said:
CycleBiker said:

CycleBiker said:

CycleBiker said:

CycleBiker said:

Damn. Well put, Volusianator! My sentiments exactly.

41 - 60 of 419 Posts