Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, spent yesterday trying to detail my bike, so I took the saddlebags off so I could get into every little space to get my bike clean. It has been at the dealer the last two weeks getting a new engine in, so when I got her back Wednesday night she was very dusty. Anyway I didn't realize how screwed up of a design these bags are bolted in the rear fender, anyway I got one bolt that won't go back in to screw into the welded nut on the front left side. It is really pissing me off!! Any idea's. I know the other bolts were a pain to get back in too but I did manage.

Any one else run into this?

·
Registered
896 Posts
Anyone installing saddlebag brackets to the rear fender bolts - DO NO REMOVE BOTH BOLTS AT THE SAME TIME. Remove the front bolt first. Attach the bracket (and saddlebag if it attaches with the same bolt), tighten the bolt only tight enough to allow you to move the bracket (and bag) with some effort. Remove the back bolt (it has a nut under the fender). Attach the other end of the bracket (and bag). Tighten both bolts.

If you cannot get the front bolt back in the hole, you will have to remove the three bolts that attach the fender support to the frame (near the seat). This will allow you to reposition the support. When you replace these bolts, use blue Loctite and torque to 36 foot-pounds.

·
Super Moderator
63,538 Posts
loosen the other 3 bolts and lift up on the back of the fender while someone tries to screw it in (someone with patience so it won't strip) and then tighten them all with the blue loctite applied

·
Registered
97 Posts
Glad I'm not the only person who ran into this issue. I thought I was being a doofus or my bike was somehow tweaked or screwed up.

My c50 came with a set of cheap plastic saddlebags, they're identical to the ones that pop up on ebay/amazon if you punch in "universal saddlebags" or any variety of other terms. I see them sell for anywhere from $50-$90 for the pair. I'd say they're worth on the low end of that at best. Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Moto...256001&hash=item1a2e910f18:g:38wAAOSw~bFWMbzO

They get the job done but are clearly quite cheap. The lids rattle hitting bumps, which I solved with running some thin weatherstripping around the inside of the lid. The locks/latches are also total crap, they constantly come loose. You can shove a screwdriver in it and rotate the entire thing and "unlock" the bag as quickly as you could use the key, so definitely not to be trusted for valuables. I mean, a solid kick would probably crack the thing in half if someone was determined, it's typical Chinese ABS recycled-sewer-pipe plastic. I eventually got tired of the junky key latches, binned those, and just put velcro and a strap to keep the lids from bouncing open.

Ask around local dealers, particularly ones that deal in a lot of used bikes. A lot of the time they have a room where they keep all the accessories they take off trade-ins, and you can often buy these off them for pretty cheap.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Yes , took a second set of hands to get em back in but did the right side correctly with no problems ... Now to find some cheap bags
I'm so glad! When my husband did the same thing to his C50, it took me and a friend pushing on the fender, and my husband threading the bolts, to get it together again.

When I got my C50 a year later and went to mount the bag supports, we were quite careful to remove only one bolt at a time.

Which is to say, welcome to the club, friend!

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, spent yesterday trying to detail my bike, so I took the saddlebags off so I could get into every little space to get my bike clean. It has been at the dealer the last two weeks getting a new engine in, so when I got her back Wednesday night she was very dusty. Anyway I didn't realize how screwed up of a design these bags are bolted in the rear fender, anyway I got one bolt that won't go back in to screw into the welded nut on the front left side. It is really pissing me off!! Any idea's. I know the other bolts were a pain to get back in too but I did manage.

Any one else run into this?
Same problem. Had to remove saddlebag to replace a snap closure. Took out both bolts. Impossible to get them back in. The advice on this thread helped me find a way. Here's my instructions to fix the problem. Worked for me. 👍

Get the front bolt seated first by getting the saddle bag fully out of the way, and all mounting hardware, including the lower support bracket for the back rest.

Carefully trim (with a fine Dremel disk) a 45° tip on the front bolt, and carefully file the tip groves sharp again, then coat it with heavy oil.

Insert a Phillips screwdriver that is just slightly loose in the rear hole allowing you leverage the front bolt into alignment. Insert the front bolt alone (no washers or other mounting hardware yet) and get it fully threaded into the hole. It will only tighten so far without its hardware.

Then with the front still nice and tight, go to the back, remove the Phillips screwdriver and layer on all the rear bolt assembly, letting the lower backrest bracket hang down out of the way for the moment. Tighten down the rear bolt.

Remove the front bolt carefully, and gently swing the saddlebag up into position with backrest bracket, washer, spacer and bolt all aligned. Try to thread in by hand.

When you meet resistance go for the socket wrench and tighten up the front bolt. Reattach the back portion of the backrest support bracket with the Allen wrench you used earlier to take it off.

I did this with the seat off. More room to work and you can see much better.

Say a prayer of thanks, install a trickle charger and start dreaming of spring when you can hit the roads once again.

Happy motoring! 😉

·
Super Moderator
34,437 Posts
Same problem. Had to remove saddlebag to replace a snap closure. Took out both bolts. Impossible to get them back in. The advice on this thread helped me find a way. Here's my instructions to fix the problem. Worked for me. 👍
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Thanks for the information. Personally, I just cussed a lot and threw stuff until it was scared enough to cooperate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts