Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone. I'm new on this forum. I just bought a 2007 VL800 Boulevard C50 last week and have been riding it all over the place without any problems. It looks brand new. A few days ago I felt a "knock" like the power cut off for a split second then kicked back in and kept going. Then today as I was driving up my steep driveway it started to stalling again over and over. It was so bad I did all I could to keep it from dying but I had to stop while it was running and played around with the clutch, gas, etc. It didn't even have enough power to get to the top of the hill. I let it rest wondering what to do. Then I started it again and it ran but kept stalling. It jerked me forwards and backwards but thank God at least made it home. Now it seems it doesn't have the power it had before. I let it sit an hour then started it again and it seems to idle fine, but I am a little nervous now about taking it anywhere.

I called a cycle shop. He said it sounds like "carburation". Ever heard that word? Maybe it's carbon build up in the carburetor. The guy I bought it from said that after he bought it, it scared the hell out of him, so it sat under a motorcycle cover in a tent outdoors for 9 months, then sold it to me. I live in Medford, Oregon so winters are freezing and summers are boiling. He said it stayed covered from the time he bought it until he sold it. He said he never rode it so never changed the oil. Gas probably sat in it. I thought maybe it's a fuel filter or oil filter problem. I started searching "fuel filter suzuki c50" and it seems there either isn't one or I don't know how to search. Is there even a fuel filter in a c50? Can anyone help me diagnose it or have some easy DIY fixes I can try before I bring it to a shop. I have enough tools except a torque wrench.
Thank you so much for any help. It would be greatly appreciated.
Have a nice day,
Mark
P.S. the horn doesn't work either.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone will be right along to help answer your questions.

I'll add my .02

C50s are fuel injected, not carbureted. If it set out even under a cover and tent, I suspect there's water in the tank. A partially filled tank will sweat and create condensation inside a less than full tank. I would start by removing the tank and emptying all the contents. It's a good practice to always clean a tank on any vehicle sitting that long before attempting to start it or much less ride off on it.

Clean out the tank as a first step. You may get lucky and didn't clog up your fuel system with trash in the tank.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You might want to check Spark Coil. Mine does the same thing when I rode on highway and I throttled up and it was cutting off and also while on idling, I blip the throttle and it backfires. Not normal. I recently changed Timing Chain on my bike month ago. It turn out that 20 years old Spark coil was failing (dielectric failure) So I ordered replacement coil (remember there are two different kind of coils, Long coil for 2001 to 2004 VL800 and short coil for fuel injected Boulevard. ) I ordered wrong part and realizing there are two kind so I ordered correct one (long coil ) and finally ran silky smooth and doesn't backfire. On highway it was smooth and responsive.

MY recommendation try replacing coils!

My .02

·
Super Moderator
32,937 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Your bike is definitely fuel injected. I agree with it possibly being bad gas. I'd start with draining the tank and lines fully, then fill her up with good gas and throw some seafoam in there for good measure. My other thought was that you blew out a cylinder, but if it's idling fine, that may not be the case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You might want to check Spark Coil. Mine does the same thing when I rode on highway and I throttled up and it was cutting off and also while on idling, I blip the throttle and it backfires. Not normal. I recently changed Timing Chain on my bike month ago. It turn out that 20 years old Spark coil was failing (dielectric failure) So I ordered replacement coil (remember there are two different kind of coils, Long coil for 2001 to 2004 VL800 and short coil for fuel injected Boulevard. ) I ordered wrong part and realizing there are two kind so I ordered correct one (long coil ) and finally ran silky smooth and doesn't backfire. On highway it was smooth and responsive.

MY recommendation try replacing coils!

My .02
God bless u sir. this is priceless . I think I found the problem. I hope so anyway. I hadn't learned to read the gas meter yet. When I thought what in. the offchance your symptoms and mine (being out of gas) sound the same. t wasn't bad or wrong part it was just out of gas....I hope..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Your bike is definitely fuel injected. I agree with it possibly being bad gas. I'd start with draining the tank and lines fully, then fill her up with good gas and throw some seafoam in there for good measure. My other thought was that you blew out a cylinder, but if it's idling fine, that may not be the case.
Excellent sir.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts