Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Mods if this doesn't belong here please move.

To start I got my 02' Volusia end of last June. I was coming from at the time a 650 savage (first bike) that had no windshield. When I bought the Vol it came with a memphis fats windshield 20 in. (it was a perfect height for me 5'10 30 inch inseam). I bought the vol on ebay and went to Circleville OH. to pick it up. I rode it back it had no lowers and the buffeting after the 3-4 hour ride just about killed me. The first thing I did was to go out and buy some chrome lowers from Value Accessories. They helped a lot but weren't perfect. I noticed the memphis fats sat about 3 in in front of the lowers. I looked around and found the switchblade 2 up it sat even with them when I put it on I felt the buffeting was worse, and the windshield was borderline too big. At the time the bike was stock seat and stock height. I have since lowered 2 inches and put on a gel seat so overall I am sitting about 2 inches lower now. I got rid of the 2 up. Overall I prefer no windshield unless I am going on a longer trip were I will be riding 55+ for any length of time or doing interstate. I decided to try the switchblade deflector unfortunately it is about 2-3 inches too short for me deflects the wind right to my face and with contacts it gets real uncomfortable. I am thinking about getting a switchblade chopped but was wondering if it causes buffeting and if I will need lowers again, I prefer no lowers because when the windshield isn't on it looks funny. The other thing I am considering is a handle bar mounted windshield. What would be a good one and are they are easy to take off and on. I will be going on my fourth windshield since last June and would like to get it right this time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeremy

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
I had a Rifle Solo Shield that mounts to the handlebar, is infinitely adjustable for tilt and can be raised or lowered up to 4 inches. easy to remove by 2 allen screws. The small mounts stay on the handlebar and the shield is removed. Anyway, it is kinda small, did not seem to need lowers, it just kept the June bugs off your face. I thought I had it in the box until I found out it was given to my brother-in-law.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mort I will look that one up. I also wanted to state that I wear a Scorpion half helmet exo 100 and I have removed the bill to help with buffeting.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
odd... I am about your measurements I have the 2up and NC lowers and get no buffeting only . I personnaly don't mind having the lowers still on when I do ride w/ the 2up off. I do ride w/ a modular helmet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts