Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Suzuki Volusia Intruder vl800, it runs really rich, & it tends to die while in idle, does anyone have any input? I rebuilt the carburetor, but it's still acting this way.

·
Administrator
16,333 Posts
How old is the gas? Do you have a stock intake and pipes?

·
Administrator
16,333 Posts
Ok, there is an idle adjustment screw under the left side of the tank where the fuel comes out. You can try adjusting that to bring the idle up, but that will not help the running rich condition.

There are a number of things that could cause it to run rich, from a stuck float to deteriorated o-rings. What did you change out when you rebuilt the carb?

Reactions: eagle and t-man403

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, there is an idle adjustment screw under the left side of the tank where the fuel comes out. You can try adjusting that to bring the idle up, but that will not help the running rich condition.

There are a number of things that could cause it to run rich, from a stuck float to deteriorated o-rings. What did you change out when you rebuilt the carb?

I
I changed everything that came in my carburetor kit that I got off Amazon.

Thank you for getting back to me.

·
Administrator
16,333 Posts
Got a link to the kit you bought on Amazon? Seafoam certainly wont hurt anything. Did you try adjusting the idle up a little bit?

The carbed bikes don't like the cold, so until they warm up it is common to have to keep the choke on a little to stop it from dying when you first start it.

I used to keep a little choke on until I got a mile or two from the house when it was cold.

Are you in a warm or cool climate?

Reactions: t-man403

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got a link to the kit you bought on Amazon? Seafoam certainly wont hurt anything. Did you try adjusting the idle up a little bit?

The carbed bikes don't like the cold, so until they warm up it is common to have to keep the choke on a little to stop it from dying when you first start it.

I used to keep a little choke on until I got a mile or two from the house when it was cold.

I will find my kit number then post it, I live in Arizona

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

kit hsr42 carburetor rebuild kit

·
Administrator
16,333 Posts
I might be wrong here, so do more research, but I think the HRS 42 is a high performance carb, not stock.

This is the kit I see on Amazon for a stock Carb.

What size jets are in the kit you bought?

In AZ you shouldn't be dealing too much with the bike being cold blooded. It will still take a few minutes to warm up with the choke on though.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Captain: It can get cold in AZ. While current daytime highs are in the 50's, it gets down into the 20's at night....depending on where she's at.

Brandisaffliction: What part of AZ are you in? Bought a house in Dewey recently and will be moving out that way shortly.

·
Super Moderator
3,197 Posts
Captain: It can get cold in AZ. While current daytime highs are in the 50's, it gets down into the 20's at night....depending on where she's at.

Brandisaffliction: What part of AZ are you in? Bought a house in Dewey recently and will be moving out that way shortly.
Have you seen the pictures of snow in Dewey on Google Maps?

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Have you seen the pictures of snow in Dewey on Google Maps?
Ha Ha! We have security cameras at the house we monitor all the time and see the occasional snow we get. It usually melts within less than 24 hours. However, we did get a record snow storm last year that dumped something like 31" of snow and shut the town down for two days. (Might reconsider getting rid of my snowblower when I move).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Surprise Az

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, thank you for all the comments, I will check. Unfortunately, I'm at work right now. My hours are long, so I will have to find out when I return home.

I might be wrong here, so do more research, but I think the HRS 42 is a high performance carb, not stock.

This is the kit I see on Amazon for a stock Carb.

What size jets are in the kit you bought?

In AZ you shouldn't be dealing too much with the bike being cold blooded. It will still take a few minutes to warm up with the choke on though.

·
Super Moderator
20,800 Posts
remember when I had my 04 I had taken the seat off to do something and when I put it back on I unknowingly pinched one of the hoses in that area causing it to run rough, also had the same rough idling problem when a spark plug wire was in need of replacement, wasn't making a good connection...if you've done recent maintenance on your ride, recheck everything, it could be something simple that you may have overlooked or not put back the way it should have been. Good luck.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Check your hoses to the fuel pump, vacuum and fuel lines. I have a 2002 volusia with 87k. Possibly a pinhole leak inside the diaphragm that pumps the gas as well worth checking. Wouldn't be a problem at higher rpms.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Has someone rejetted it along the way .... because Volusia is a cold blooded beast when starting up at the first of the day, and somewhat in general. Never seen one that ran rich.... it needs to go into a museum or something.

First , check the choke is not sticking (spray it with carb / injector cleaner) and Sea Foam in the tank a very good idea.... clean out those lines, etc.
2nd --- as said, reset the idle adjustment.
3rd ---- go ride at highway speeds for awhile.... blow it out and get that Sea Foam working well thru it .... plus a good excuse to go ride for awhile. If it coughs at all, that's you blowing something out of there (dirt, build-up, crud) due to the Sea Foam working or compression... should run even better after that.

Does it run smooth and throttle up like it should driving at a normal speed ? In other words, no missing, no jerking, no coughing, etc.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
The place with the coldest average temperature every year in the United States ... is in Arizona. Been there, when it was real cold too .... never so glad to get gas and keep going.
My 2001, stock ...... would require choking it even when a 100 - 110*F outside at the first start of the day... stock jets. Finally, changed the jets and went to the K&N filter. Still have it and still love it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts