Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone today I went for a ride to the gasstation on my volusia from 2002, it’s a 10 min drive but when I got there my muffler was already extremely hot. Like, you can’t touch it hot.. the pipe of my exhaust itself wasn’t hot at all.. is this normal or is there something wrong with it?
I recently did the honest Abe mod to the exhaust.. could this mean that my bike is running too lean now?
Thanks in advance, greetings

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Who rides their bike, then touches the muffler?

Oh wait, I know.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Wait.
You took a perfectly good pipe/muffler system, punched a bunch of holes in it, then ripped out its innards.
You then say its changed somehow?
Imma have to think about this one for about .00000025 of a second.

·
Super Moderator
25,274 Posts
The exhaust gets really hot. You'll find that out the first time you try to ride with a cheap pair of rain pants on.

As for the smell, any chance you've got saddle bags on? Throw overs will sag and touch the exhaust then melt. They smell pretty bad when they do that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know they get hot :unsure: but it’s actually the mufflers that get really hot not the pipe itself, i can touch the whole thing but not the muffler. I know it sounds weird and im not stupid. I’m not touching the pipes because I like my bike so much but I payed a lot of money for it and I don’t want it to break down further down the road that’s why I’m asking here..

I bought the bike second hand and the owner before me already drilled the holes and pierced the first plate so I did the second one last week.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The exhaust gets really hot. You'll find that out the first time you try to ride with a cheap pair of rain pants on.

As for the smell, any chance you've got saddle bags on? Throw overs will sag and touch the exhaust then melt. They smell pretty bad when they do that.
No saddlebags, it’s more a smell of steel that’s getting too hot. Maybe it’s just me and I’m overworried

·
Registered
19,523 Posts
The down pipe is going to be cooler than the muffler, because it is not the actual exhaust pipe. The header is a much smaller diameter pipe that is inside a fat chrome cover. There is lots of airspace between the two, which is why it will always be cooler than the muffler. The muffler is essentially a jet, firing burned gas at very high temperature backwards. Once you ripped out the innards, you changed the back pressure and exposed more of the metal to direct gas. It's to be expected.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts