Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings once again alll:

I just took my first LONG ride. Well, long for me anyways. I did a 350-mile round trip yesterday. It rained, and it hailed, and the winds were gusty for most of the trip, but... I made it back alive!

A couple of people here have asked how the Stage 1 upgrades have affected my mpg. I have the HK 2.5" Stripper Straights, the DynoJet Power Commander III, and the Thunder Mfg vertical teardrop air intake. I dilligently wrote down the miles I had traveled and how much gas it took to fill up the tank for each of the three stops I made during my travels.

Prior to the upgrades, I was averaging 38-42mpg using 87 octane (I usually try to run Chevron, but will take anything in a pinch).

I averaged 41mpg on the trip. The trip was thru light rain, SHEETS of rain (eek!), and even two periods of hail that hit like BB's (is this a shooting gallery and I'm the only target?). My bike (yet to be named) got rode hard and put away wet (and filthy dirty after that trip), but we made it back safe and sound.

One note to self: don't wear ventillated boots when it's raining. Doh! :shock:

Squishy shoes; frozen toes!!!

Daryl

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
41 mpg on your trip is between the 38-42 you were getting prior to the upgrades.

Can you tell whether or not your mileage will be better or worse? I don't like to say worse, because even if you get less mpg, you'll be enjoying the increased horsepower.

It would be great, when I get a PC and Thunder Air Kit soon, if I can tell my financial partner (wife) that we'll (like the way I say WE?) save money on gas, but really, I would assume you'd burn more with the improved air.

Almost forgot to say, welcome home. Glad you made it back safely. lol. Hoping the hail didn't ding your tank.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine is an '05. I got between 45 and 50 until i drilled the center plate of the exhaust and my mileage dropped app. 5 mph. Guess it went to lean, and it felt like it. So I plugged my mod till I can mod the mix from the injectors.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bobb & jimjack:

No dings on the tank, thankfully! I still plan on having the bike dynoed so the system is getting the optimum air/fuel mix. That's going to have to come off of next month's o.t. check though. I just "blinged" via Oneida and Eric @ Xtreme, so m/c $ is shot 'til next month. Gotta stick to the budget... :x

Thanks for your replies...

Best,

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
DS06C50T said:
Gotta stick to the budget... :x
Ouch...that nasty 6-letter word. Yea, I've got one, too. Isn't it fun mentally spending your money before you have it?

In my mind I see my bike with a Thunder Tornado, a PCIII, braided cables, and a broad diagonal red stripe going across my tank, front left to rear right. But when I go out to the garage, I don't see any of that stuff. Not yet, anyway.

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Hey Daryl how's it going? So not much of a change on the MPG? That's a bummer. I was really hoping that it might go up a tick and that would really put me over the top on the upgrades! Well, I'm definitely doing em I just really want it to be a no brainer!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
basshole said:
Hey Daryl how's it going? So not much of a change on the MPG? That's a bummer. I was really hoping that it might go up a tick and that would really put me over the top on the upgrades! Well, I'm definitely doing em I just really want it to be a no brainer!
It may change once I find a place and have it dynoed; we'll see. But for now, I'm not at all displeased with the same mpg and more "giddeup"! :shock:

So when are ya' gonna do it already??? (ooh, the dreaded "peer pressure"... cue Behtoven's 5th intro notes) :twisted:

Daryl

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
basshole said:
well shouldn't the addition of the power commander eliminate the need for the dyno job? If not, what good is the power commander? :?
That's the same question I asked the guy at DynoJet when I went to do the download and install. He said that the maps that their website offers (3 maps to chose from) will get you close. He said that they'd have to map then post EVERY conceivable combination of pipes/air intakes/etc for every bike out there in order for a dyno to be basically useless.

He said that a dyno will get it dialed in specifically for my bike and its mod's. The PCIII gets it REAL close though, so maybe the dyno will dial it in just right and it'll run (air/fuel mixture) exactly as it should given my mods. THAT'S what I'm hoping for with the dyno! Just gotta find someone within a reasonable distance that really knows how to do it and do it right!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
basshole said:
So what's it cost to get it dyno'd??? $60-$70.00?
I've heard that range (ie, 1-hr of shop time). I've also heard $150-200. I'm hoping it's the former and not the latter of the two! Keep ya' posted o what I find out...
Daryl

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
basshole said:
Please do! If it's only $60-70.00 why waste my money on a power commander?
The PC stays ON the bike, roped into and OVER-RIDING the bikes computer. The bikes computer doesn't have the range or scope to facilitate what the PC is doing. THAT is why you need a PC. It's kind of like adding an external hard drive to your personal computer. The PC, in this case, is running the show and has the map of the download in it.

Capice? Now go to bed and dream of busty women in neoprene suits... :p

LOL,
Daryl

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
I prefer then naked....or at least me helping them out of the tight lil neoprene suits.....DAMN!!! I gotta go to the bathroom now!!! :twisted:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DAMN!!! I gotta go to the bathroom now!!! :twisted:[/quote]

TMI, TMI, T - M - I !!! :shock: :eek:t: :smoking: :biglaugh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts