Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two years ago at age 56, I got my first bike - a Yamaha Zuma 125 scooter. I love it and I've put 5500 miles on it but I´m ready to move up, so on Saturday I´m buying a 2007 C50.

I´ve never ridden a non-scoot motorcycle before and haven´t had to shift gears. The Zuma weighs 280 pounds and the C50´s nearly twice that. I´ll eventually get the hang of it, but the C50´s in beautiful condition and I don´t want to drop it on its side while I´m checking it out. How much of a transition should I expect when checking it out? Would you think a test drive in traffic would be unwise?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Very unwise to test ride in traffic. If you haven't had to shift on 2 wheels before, I would highly recommend an empty parking lot. And ask for some instruction before you start.
Yeah, everyone wants to hop on and act like they know it all because asking for help makes them feel helpless or something. But it could keep you from breaking something or dripping the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Watched many video of someone moving up and the weight/power surprising them and wreaking the bike. Wide open parking lot with few poles recommended

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
I also came to my C50 after riding a scooter.

Please, heed the advice above and do not go out in traffic right away. Start more modestly. I worked on it first in my own driveway, then small back streets. I didn't feel ready for traffic for weeks.

I highly recommend the Motorcycle Safety Foundation beginning rider course to you. Although I was already riding a Burgman 400, when I elected to move to a shifted bike I took the MSF class, and it was well worth it.

Be careful out there, OK?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK - pretty unanimous responses above. I'm inclined to have the seller perform a test drive for me; I may get on just to try the 1st gear - neutral - 2nd shifting. We're meeting at a shopping center so I can probably find some open space in it.

I've Googled "highway bars" images and they appear to be the same devices that I'd call engine guards. Are they the same thing?

Anything in particular that you'd recommend I check out before finalizing the transaction?

Woodswoman, starting modestly, taking the class, and being careful out there sound like three very excellent pieces of advice - I'll take them all. The temperatures in GA will be in the 90s for another month, so I'm not in a huge hurry to go on extended rides. :)

·
Super Moderator
34,437 Posts
+1 on everything recommended.

Highway bars tend to stick out more than engine guards. In my experience things labeled as engine guards don't come out far enough to protect the tank if you drop it.

I'll let wiser people than me speak up on what to look for.

Where do you live in GA? I'm in Kennesaw, and if you're anywhere nearby I might be able to help you out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
engine guards are not what u need, crash bar or highway bar is what you need that sticks out alittle past the floorboards. and plz take your time and be careful this will be a whole different animal than you are used too! be safe!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I try to be, especially when learning to ride a cycle . . .

. . . oh . . . you mean the other kind of "patient." :) Unfortunately, there aren't many residents left at the state hospital - only about 50. It's one of the casualties of the post-recession cutback in State agencies, which has really put a hit on employment in our fair city. But, we've got an outstanding university, a historic downtown, and a lake with 400 miles of shoreline that keep bringing a lot of our Atlanta friends this way.

·
Super Moderator
34,437 Posts
I didn't realized that. It is a beautiful town, I've been there a couple of times. Isn't there a major Civil War site there too? In fact, if I remember my Georgia History classes from middle school, it was the capital during the war.

·
Super Moderator
26,146 Posts
curious as how you plan to get it home...are you bringing a trailer with you to trailer it home...perhaps you can get the seller to meet at your residence...if saturday traffic your way is anything like saturday traffic here in my area,,,i would reccommend you do this on a early sunday morning when the world is asleep. Shame you don't know someone who rides and can help you out. This whole scenerio just doesn't sound good. Hope I'm reading too much into this but.......

·
Premium Member
3,047 Posts
Welcome from Alabama.

Ride like you're invisible.
When using a clutch for the first time most new riders release it as soon as it begins to engage thus stalling the engine. After you first feel it engage (grab) allow a full 2 seconds to completely release it.
Another problem, new riders forget to down shift. A motorcycle tranny will not shift from 5,4,3 and sometimes second to first with the tires not moving a little. Just the nature of the beast. Before riding, practice (with engine idling) getting the bike to go from 1st to 2nd, to 3rd, to 4th then back to first while not riding it. Extremely frustrating to try and find 1st gear when stalled out in traffic. Don't forget neutral. Neutral can be difficult to master. You must know how to find neutral fast.

Did I mention, "ride like you're invisible"? Lots to learn.

·
Super Moderator
34,437 Posts
Neutral can be difficult to master. You must know how to find neutral fast.
Why do you say that? I've never found a situation where finding neutral fast was a requirement. Getting into first gear fast, sure, but any time I've looked for neutral I've had plenty of time to find it.

Not arguing, just really curious what your thought process is here.

I do agree on the shifting though. I've spent some embarrassing moments blocking traffic trying to get the d**n bike to go into first gear when I started riding. I learned that a bike doesn't like to go from fifth to first standing still the hard way. If you do end up in that situation, rock the bike while pushing down on the shifter, it'll drop in doing that.

·
Registered
439 Posts
You don't know anyone that could help you out? When I got mine last year, I took my cuz with me. Let him test drive, and ride it to my house. I didn't feel confident doing it myself at 5:00 rush hour on a Friday thru the big city. Once he got it to my house, had plenty of time to play with it on the back country roads. Just take your time, be safe, and keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
801 Posts
I've got a different recommendation, what about not purchasing the c50 and getting something more reasonable for your skill level? like a 250 cc class bike like a Suzuki 250 gz or Honda Rebel

Reactions: Skrapiron
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.