Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have looked around and can't seem to find a lot on this idea unless you own a Harley, and then its a part for their bike. I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has found anything or knows something about this...

My wife wants to start riding with me. I bought a sissy bar last year and she sat on the back with me and we both were pushed way too far forward. Since then I added a better seat that moved me forward some and added the John's Forward Control kit (BTW, this is almost a must if your tall, and they are awesome) so I would have more room. She sat the other day on it again and still the same. She pushes me way too far forward to feel comfortable driving the bike. We have went for a short drive without the sissy bar and she is scared of falling off the back, but I was fine with her back there then. We are both bigger people, but I have seen bigger riding on bikes together.

My question is, is there a kit, or a cheap easy way to make the sissy bar sit back a few inches? I thought about re-drilling the bolt hole on the side support brackets to move it back, but I don't think Ill get the clearance Id need.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
You can get a tour pack - these should give about an extra inch or two more room.
Or buy a Harley to go with the adjustable backrest - now THAT would be a great reason for a new bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As much as I'd like to upgrade to a bigger bike, I think my wife would shoot me if I came home with a different one that costs more than mine now, lol.

I thought about making an angled bracket and offsetting the bar back, and angling it back some to achieve the right amount. Then tightening everything down with lock-nuts and lock-washers. Or seeing about either bending the current one back, or finding/fabbing a bar with an s-shape to the attachment point of the sissy bar....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jamez1999, this is what I did. I am still not quite finished as I have to get stock bolts and polish the side plates and washers so they will look more chrome like the sissy bar.

Instead of spacing the holes the same I added about 3/16" to the top pair of holes to lean it back a little.

My wife is very happy with this arrangement since it gives her more room. With the stock setup the sissy bar pad covered about an inch of the seat. This gained that and more. I had the idea and a friend had the scrap and tools. It cost me a set of golf balls for his time. Way faster than I could have done it with my hand tools, although it could have been done.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
dsmitty, what all is involved in mounting the trunk on? Not a big fan of them, but would rather have my wife ride with me and enjoy the bike more.
I know there are members here that have done them - I didn't, the Cobra backrest was fine for us. There are lots of after market tour packs out there - Mutazu has an affordable one although it's made of ABS plastic and needs lots of reinforcing to work. Mounting is the issue, you will need a luggage rack without the sissy bar to mount the tour pack to. Takes a bit of a MacGiver attitude but it's been done.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
James, this is what I did. I am still not quite finished as I have to get stock bolts and polish the side plates and washers so they will look more chrome like the sissy bar.

Instead of spacing the holes the same I added about 3/16" to the top pair of holes to lean it back a little.

My wife is very happy with this arrangement since it gives her more room. With the stock setup the sissy bar pad covered about an inch of the seat. This gained that and more. I had the idea and a friend had the scrap and tools. It cost me a set of golf balls for his time. Way faster than I could have done it with my hand tools, although it could have been done.

There ya go - bit of plate steel, few bolts and an afternoon of fabricating and cussing gets you there. I like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.