Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem getting the bead to seal all the way on the rear tire. A portion on one side won't seal all the way. I can break the seal and put pressure on one side and then the opposite side won't seal right. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Super dumb suggestion, check the replacement tire size compared to the old tire.
My Suzuki manual calls for a 15 inch tire but it actually is a 16" front tire.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got the exact same tire sizes. And no, I didn't lube the tire. That's probably my issue. What would you suggest it put on it?

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Had a similar problem last time. It was cold, the tire was stiff, and the bead just didn't want to seat. Tried a strap around the tread, but that didn't work. What finally did work, was unseating the one side of the tire, so only one bead was in the rim. Then blocked the other bead with pieces of wood so the tire carcass was opened up wider. I left it sit for a day, and then tried it again. Seated fine. Stretching the tire wider at the bead, made it fit a bit more snug onto the rim. Air it up and bingo, there it is!

·
Registered
190 Posts
You should NEVER exceed maximum PSI of your tire to seat it. More lube is always the best bet, but preferable something for mounting a tire. If you use something too slick, the tire can end up spinning on the bead under hard acceleration or braking, and with tubed tires, this can cause the valve stem to rip out of the tube and flatten the tire.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I got it this morning. I put just a tad bit of chain lube on the bead and it popped right on before I even hit 42 psi. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I am having a problem getting the bead to seal all the way on the rear tire. A portion on one side won't seal all the way. I can break the seal and put pressure on one side and then the opposite side won't seal right. Anyone have any suggestions?
Dishsoap on the rim and bead when installing.
Lots of air pressure (~70 psi) real fast.

The tires on these C50's are a breeze to remove/install.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Any lube, wd-40, PB blaster, engine oil, really anything that would help the tire pop on.
Ehrmmmm, Seriously?

Just a note for folks considering using a petroleum based product to seat a bead...Don't, oil based products expedite rot in rubber products such as belts, tubes and tires. They also never dry, meaning the spots oiled to get the bead to slide on remain slicker than they should(possibly causing a loss of traction or the tire to roll independent of the rim under hard acceleration or braking).

Doesn't matter what the tire is for, dish soap (and water if you choose, I prefer an 80/20 soap/water mix) is your best bet.

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
Ehrmmmm, Seriously?

Just a note for folks considering using a petroleum based product to seat a bead...Don't, oil based products expedite rot in rubber products such as belts, tubes and tires. They also never dry, meaning the spots oiled to get the bead to slide on remain slicker than they should(possibly causing a loss of traction or the tire to roll independent of the rim under hard acceleration or braking).

Doesn't matter what the tire is for, dish soap (and water if you choose, I prefer an 80/20 soap/water mix) is your best bet.
Shhh. Don't say that. It wasn't all that long ago that someone got upset when I said that would happen when he chose to use gasoline to clean his whitewalls..

·
Registered
19,518 Posts
BTW, dish soap and water is all you should use to seat the bead on any tire.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Besides the excellent soapy water, Use a strap cinched tight around the circumference of the tire and as you add air to the tire I find they tend to pop seat like magic. I use the same straps with cinching mechanism that I secure my motorcycle when trailer towing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts