Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

Motorcycle Training Course Question

3K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  Ragdude 
#1 ·
I was wondering, how many people when first starting to ride would have joined a motorcycle training course for say a $1000.00 if at the end of the course you had a motorcycle license and you kept the brand new bike you learned on? Nothing big just like a 350 cc bike something to ride until both cash and confidence grew and you could buy another larger bike. This was part of a discussion I was having with a coworker/fellow rider. Ideas thoughts wanted and go.....

#4 ·
msf course is @ $350, and you get a license if you pass it
so use the other $650 to buy a bike like they use

#8 ·
Msf in ohio is $25!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Hhhmmmmm! :-? Interesting proposal.

The MSF course is worth every cent of the investment in time and money. I recommend it to everyone. Adding a motorcycle to the mix is an interesting twist, but I'm not sure everyone would be interested in it (Many, many people already have a permit and have been riding before the MSF course). I think there may be a small percentage of people that this would appeal to.

My other concern is you are not going to get a new bike for $700. It might be an interesting way for the schools to turn over their used bikes at the end of the season though. I guess there is a market for just about anything, whether it's a sustainable business model is another question.

#6 ·
I see a lot of new riders on r3ddit agonizing over the purchase of their first bike, so I could see it appealing to some. Take the course and ride home on a CBR250. I wouldn't have gone for it, but there would be a niche market for it I think.

#7 ·
Well, considering in most states that course is 25 bucks and an old 250 honda costs less than a grand...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#10 ·
$225 here in Mass for the MSF course

I think you'd be hard pressed to offer the course and a bike for $1000.00

#11 ·
In Illinois the msf course is free, you can make a reservation by putting down a $20 refundable deposit to hold a spot or you can walk in and see if they have an opening that day. I retake it every 3 years to keep the mc insurance discount active.

#12 ·
In PA, the MSF Basic Rider and Experienced Rider courses are free.....

#13 ·
msf

No matter the cost of these classes, you will go away with more skills and abilities.
If you learn one little item that saves your bacon they are worth it.
I know there are people out there that would argue "I've been riding for 20 years" so I don't need the class. Well you do and if you can't learn something from it maybe you overestimate your abilities.

#17 ·
I just completed an MSF course in Kansas City. We rode a bunch of donated 250's. At the end of the course both of my instructors (two motorcycle police officers) said to get something bigger than a 250. They said we'd get bored with them in a month.

The class was awesome, but there's no way to practice afterwards. My girlfriend bought an S40 (single cylinder 650cc) which was a great transition bike for her and good for me to practice on, but not nearly big enough for me. I bought a C50 (805cc).

I don't have an answer for you, but absolutely find a class, and then go sit on some used bikes at dealerships. Don't waste time though. It can be intimidating, but you have to get right back on a bike and ride.

Look for something older, and you can get a pretty good ride for cheap. My instructor said, "The first bike you buy won't be the last bike you buy." Just find something you're comfortable with.

#18 ·
At the end of the course both of my instructors (two motorcycle police officers) said to get something bigger than a 250. They said we'd get bored with them in a month.
I'm in that camp as well. Rode on a dang fun nighthawk 250 in the course, then went to the dealerships and saw Rebels sitting among Vulcan 900s and M50/90s. I was just like... nah.

Approaching my third summer with my cheap used c50, and I'm still learning with it, which makes me happy. Albeit my eyes are on the lookout for something different or bigger (z900 :drool: ), I'm definitely not in a hurry.

#19 · (Edited)
I'm in KC as well and did mine a few years ago through the class that now runs out of JCCC (formerly at the great Mall) which I'm pretty sure is the same couple you had (guy demos while lady explains, guy has cheesy grin entire time). The course is painted down on a former parking lot that no longer has the parking space lines and is now dedicated to the course. It's up to you to remember what you're​ supposed to do on the various lines, but they have an open invitation to come out & practice anytime as long as they don't have a class running or are otherwise using it themselves.

Certain things like weaving or obstacles require you to bring tennis balls or something, but the rest is there & open for use. I hit up the lot a couple of times after bringing the bike out from hibernation just to be safe and once or twice more through the season.

#20 ·
Yep, I was at JCCC too. They now have two adjoining lots and sometimes they'll run two classes at the same time. I met a total of 7 instructors between my time there and my wife's. The were all fantastic and knowledgeable. They run an advanced class (recommend 1000 miles riding time) where you bring your own bike. I may do that in a bit. Safer is better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.