Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an unexpected call from the dealership I bought my 2017 KTM Duke 390 from. They were asking me if I still had it and if I was interested in selling it. She said they were looking to make me an "aggressive" offer. I paid $5k for the bike back in 2018, and when I looked it up on KBB, it's apparently still worth $4k private party and $3k trade in. I told her to have a sales weasel call me to discuss it, so we'll see what they consider aggressive.

I guess there's a shortage of high MPG bikes with a big demand right now. Considering gas prices, I'm not sure I want to sell it though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you enjoy the bike and want to keep it, tell them, "thank you for the offer but I not interested at this time". In addition to high gas prices, the continued chip shortage is affecting everything electronic.
If you are considering a different bike, listen to what they have to say, have seen cars go for way above KBB sometimes over original purchase price.

·
Super Moderator
32,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2020 Vulcan Voyager. The only reason for keeping the Duke is because it's paid for and gets 50-70 mpg. If they come back with a really great offer, I'll probably let it go. If they offer $3k, I'll probably keep it.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
I sold my 2016 Indian, in Jan, back to the dealer I bought it from 3 years earlier, for the same price I paid for it.

Honda offered $30k on my 2 1/2 year old Accord. Several thousand more than it cost new.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Super Moderator
32,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its definitely a sellers market..how has the Duke experience been?
It blew an engine before it was out of warranty. Dealer said a small piece of plastic got into it during assembly that managed to get into an oil injector on the top end, starving it of oil. KTM paid to have it rebuilt though, and it's run great since then.

It's a peppy little bike. Fun as hell to ride around town. I won't take it on the interstate though. That little single cylinder is maxed out at 80. Like I said though, it gets 50 mpg if you ride it like you stole it and 70 if you ride it sensibly. I tend to get 50. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DCinCT

·
Super Moderator
9,486 Posts
Resale prices on my Honda CTX700 have gone up a lot in the last year. I declined to offer it in trade when I bought my Spyder in December of 2020. It was worth more to me to keep it.

Fast-forward to 2022. I could probably get 4 or 5 grand for it now.

For one thing, Honda can't seem to get any Rebel 1100s over here, so suddenly the 'little brother' CTX700 is looking appealing. And for another thing, the CTX700 gets more than 60 miles per gallon.

·
Registered
2021 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
14 Posts
I just bought my C50 last week at one of the big multi brand dealerships near me, and the showroom floor, which used to be rows and rows of shiny new bikes was now filled with used bikes , with a handful of new bikes sprinkled in. I asked the sales manager if they were having a tough time getting inventory and he said yes, for two years now. My C50 looked like an unloved step child, shoved in a hallway and covered in dust. ( Lucky for me! It was just waiting for me to rescue it! 😄)
Before buying the C50 , I had gone to the big multi brand Euro bike dealer to look at a Moto Guzzi. This also used to be a very busy well stocked dealer. No Guzzi‘s special order only and wait 6-8 months. They only had one Ducati, one Royal Enfield, and a few Triumph's and BMW’s. They told me the same story, just can’t get new inventory.

·
Premium Member
4,112 Posts
Just_Bob, thank you for saving the forgotten C50 & bringing it into the family :)

Reactions: Just_Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was actually looking for a sports touring like a 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900 but the prices were so high. Then I lucked out: a non-Suzuki dealer had priced a 2012 C50T trade in at the MSRP price: $9600, and when I pointed that out to him, the price came down to $3800: Sold! I figure I'll go into cruiser mode till the market turns around, or maybe forever ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts