1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seattle Tries Motorcycle Paramedics

by Steve
Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Seattle's mayor, Greg Nickels proposed a plan on how to get paramedics to an emergency scene in much faster time: put them on Harleys.

With the town in the midst of a population boom, construction, and congestion, it's becoming harder for four-wheeled emergency vehicles to get through.

Dubbed, "Motorcycle Medics", it'll be similar to other motorcycle paramedics in place in Miami, Pittsburgh, and other cities.

Obviously, these bikes can't transport patients, but they can administer first aid, carry defibrilators, and act as efficient "first responders".

The beauty of these is speed. They don't necessarily have to administer care either, they can just evaluate the situation, and decide if it's necessary to get a transport out there.

The city will actually lease four motorcycles during the pilot program under a budget of $570,000. That compares with the standard medic one unit that costs $1.3 million per year.
Read more about this on Seattle KING5.com...
http://www.king5.com/....seattle_motorcycle_medics_TP.c929766b.html

·
Registered
295 Posts
motormedics

We have them in Daytona Beach during event weeks. They are quick to respond and help alleviate some of the problems with bogus calls during the crowded nights of bike week biketoberfest. I work as a medic on an ambulance and the motor medics are from the Daytona Beach Dire dept.

Adrian

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Re: motormedics

apbronso said:
We have them in Daytona Beach during event weeks. They are quick to respond and help alleviate some of the problems with bogus calls during the crowded nights of bike week biketoberfest. I work as a medic on an ambulance and the motor medics are from the Daytona Beach Dire dept.

Adrian
Who takes care of the Motormedics? :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
20,380 Posts
Pretty cool idea!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Doesn't Miami Dade also have motorcycle medics? Some Florida

department was on the cover of JEMS (Journal of the Emergency Medical

Serivices) about 5 years ago. They weren't on Harleys though, think they

were on hondas.

Chicago has medics on segways, can get through crowds quicker.

·
Registered
849 Posts
First responder care and evaluation has proven to be the most lifesaving technique in EMS. If the provider can stop bleeding or even start a air medevac before an Ambulance arrives it could save lives. MD shock trauma has one of the Highest survival rates in the world because all Police, Fireman etc are cert first responders.

·
Registered
9,626 Posts
medic1 said:

were on hondas.

There where a few depts that tried in about 5 years ago.....I'm no longer in ems so I don't follow it at all but I remember thinking that it was a FANTASTIC idea.

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Will they pull a riding stretcher??? :shock:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
moenko said:
Will they pull a riding stretcher??? :shock:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Obviously, these bikes can't transport patients, but they can administer first aid, carry defibrilators, and act as efficient "first responders". "

·
Premium Member
6,843 Posts
Hehe, was more joking Box, imgaining some unconcious patient strapped to a stretcher that's pulled across town for everyone to see :lol:

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
moenko said:
Hehe, was more joking Box, imgaining some unconcious patient strapped to a stretcher that's pulled across town for everyone to see :lol:

:p

·
Registered
381 Posts
medic1 said:

were on hondas.

IIRC - Miami-Dade started out on BMW's that were Factory Refurbed by BMW - they were ex CHP units. Now they are riding HD Road Kings.

Edit:
Did a quick Google search & found this - fairly in depth article on them.
Confirms the Beemer & HD stuff.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4122&Page=1

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Nice! Great idea, Since rush hour in Seattle lasts from 4:00 PM to 3:59 PM.

·
Premium Member
17,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Skamaniac said:
Nice! Great idea, Since rush hour in Seattle lasts from 4:00 PM to 3:59 PM.
:?: :?: :?: hunh? 1 minute backwards?

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have been wanting to put together an EMT first response bike for special events, parades, and mutual aid to other towns. I think it would work REALLY well. My pick for a bike would be a honda st1300 or a bmw r1200rtp.... So we will see what happens if and when I get my hands on one. Early interaction is always the best way.
-dWv

1 - 20 of 21 Posts