Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
16,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a bike jack. I was all set to go buy the Craftsman jack that is on sale for $69.99.

Then I read all the reviews from 2008, all one star rating and they all say it's junk.

What do you have??? How do you like it???

·
Registered
292 Posts
I saw the same reviews on sears website which turned me away. I bought a blue 1500lb capacity jack from AutoZone on sale for about $80. It's very heavy duty, has 3 locking positions, steel caster wheels and stabilizing bolts. I have used it quite a bit this winter while modding my bike. I just fits under the bike since I lowered 2" also.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I bought mine from CSK (Checker, Kragen, Schucks) for $39.00 after the rebate.

Either them or HF have them on sale all the time.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Mine came from Harbor Freight and works just fine. Lifts my 800 pound Nomad with no trouble at all.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Harbor Freight here. I have a friend gave me all kinda he11 about buying the made in "China" jack. His Craftsman didn't last even 1 season AND Sears didn't fix it. He now has a Harbor Freight jack also.

Ride Safe,
Rex

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
shooterrex said:
Harbor Freight here. I have a friend gave me all kinda he11 about buying the made in "China" jack. His Craftsman didn't last even 1 season AND Sears didn't fix it. He now has a Harbor Freight jack also.

Ride Safe,
Rex
I guess I will go to Harbor Freight and buy a proper jack when my Chinese Jack can no longer do the "Forbidden LIFT" ! :lol:

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Another SEARS disatisfied customer... jack lasted half a season and sears wouldn't talk to me

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have a Canadian Tire jack. A buddy of mine has one also and it has been leaking and a frustration. Replacing the o-rings didn't seem to solve the trouble. He recently aquired a Harbor Freight jack to replace the CTC jack.
The Harbour Freight lift arms were higher at the nose end than the lift end. It was tough getting the jack under his Harley. We were able to bend the arms to make the lift arms level. It now slides under the bike well.
The Harbor Freight jack was impossible to lower the bike in a controlled manner. The bike would lurch down as soon as you had enough force on the lowering pedal to start the decent. We were not impressed.
We mounted a fine threaded shaft with a turn knob to actuate the lowering pedal. We can now lower a bike precisely as slow as you might like. The pedal can still be used if you want to drop the bike fast.
I think all these Chinese jacks are only worth the lowest sale price. Hopefully you can get a few years service from it before it makes puddles and ends up as scrap steel to make more Chinese junk.

It makes you wonder how they can make them, ship them from so far and sell them on sale for $59! They are a heavy item to ship. The best price Canadian tire ever had them for on sale was $79. Recently they featured it for $59. I paid $79 for mine a year ago.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts

Maybe an aluminum one would be in order.
I wonder how much this weighs.

Edit;

Found it...weighs 50 lbs.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is the AutoZone jack I have. It has worked great and is very stable. It also has a very controlled decent.

·
Registered
292 Posts
jimKo said:
DJ50T :wink: Hehe I get it now

Looks like most of 'em, mine is red...
It may look like most of them but it works well and doesn't have the problems some reported above with theirs...

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Rizzo said:
jimKo said:
DJ50T :wink: Hehe I get it now

Looks like most of 'em, mine is red...
It may look like most of them but it works well and doesn't have the problems some reported above with theirs...
True!
How come the Sears jacks crap so quickly?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have used a Craftsman for 2 seasons now...no problem. I have left the bike jacked up overnight many times.

·
Registered
661 Posts
jimKo said:

Maybe an aluminum one would be in order.
I wonder how much this weighs.

Edit;

Found it...weighs 50 lbs.

That's the jack I have. Sam's club had a close out sale on them about three years ago. I made a phone call when I heard they were on sale, and bought the last one in Indiana. I was going north for the summer and picked up in Indianapolis on my way through for about $70. They are worth $200. The release is very good, you can lower it fast or slow.

Andy44

1 - 20 of 27 Posts