Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early on after purchasing my C50, I noticed that there were more occasions of people not noticing me than before, when I had my Shadow with V&H pipes. The Shadow wasn't annoying loud at all, but still noticeably louder.
I think it made a difference. I've been considering a custom exhaust, but ...

I've also decided to look into upgrading to a louder horn instead. It's a lot less expensive too, so there's a greater WAF (Wife Approval Factor).*
Also, I really don't want to annoy the neighbors with loud pipes. We all get a long pretty good here.

There are a lot of options out there. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'd prefer something that's as close to plug and play as possible.

*I used up a lot of husband credit when I bought my last guitar. ?

·
Administrator
16,311 Posts
Stebel horn. It is not plug and play though. You need to wire it through a relay (simple enough, lots of how to threads).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not a horn recommendation but have you checked out the Honest Abe exhaust mod?
Might be worth a look.......

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be checking out everything that's recommended. ;)
Retired, sequestered in my home, too stormy to ride or work on my bike for the next few days, too early to go camping, no campgrounds open anyway.
I have a little time on my hands. :whistle:

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Motorcycle horns...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Motorcycle horns...

Good idea! Maybe White-Tail Deer antlers might be a bit more appropriate for PA, though. I'm dodging those wood rats all the time anyway. :giggle:

I was looking at the OM horn placement on my C50 yesterday.
I was surprised at how cramped the space is where the horn is at. Not much room for anything bigger, and very hard to get to, too.
It's mounted right behind the radiator. It's a wonder anyone could hear it at all.

Just another factoid I'm going to have to throw into consideration.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
Most just disconnect the factory horn & leave it in place. Then use the wiring & connect aftermarket & mount elsewhere. ( in front of jugs)

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Here's one solution.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most just disconnect the factory horn & leave it in place. Then use the wiring & connect aftermarket & mount elsewhere. ( in front of jugs)
That looks to be where I'm heading.
It'll leave me a lot more options too, not having to worry about what will fit where.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Or...

Maybe I'll just skip all the wiring, mounting, relays, antlers, helmet honkers, and bruised knuckles, and just go green...

:sick:???

It'll take care of the tailgaters, too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A horn is nice, but it’s purely “reactive”...which means you have to have time to honk it. Pipes are “proactive”, in that they are an alert mechanism that’s always alerting. There’s no rule that you have to get the loudest ones possible, just something with a little more presence. I was kind of in the same boat, I didn’t want it too loud and obnoxious. I got lucky with a set that idle almost as quiet as oem, but they bark pretty good when revved.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts