Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
At what mileage should I consider a engine rebuild for my 05 c50t. Take into consideration that I have either a piston pin or cam chain issue and would have the dealer deal with it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Has the dealer quoted a price? An 05 Boulevard is worth about the same as a dealer engine rebuild. I realize sentimental value is priceless. Engine swap may be less expensive although you don't know what your getting unless it's a low mileage salvage title. I've got 67k miles on my 06 and have a spare engine in the garage that I got with a handshake deal waiting to be swapped.

·
Registered
21,178 Posts
There is no set mileage when you should consider an engine rebuild. You just do it, when the bike needs it. If you're hearing something like a piston pin (piston slap?) or cam chain issue, then it is time to get it taken care of. The question becomes how many miles are on it and how much do you want to spend?
Parts and labour to replace the cam-chain and tensioners is ~ $1200. The engine has to come completely apart to accomplish that task. You can do all sorts of work like refreshing the top end while it is torn down, but there is a gotcha. Refreshing the top end only puts additional stress on the bottom of the engine. The crank and rod bearings are worn, so increasing compression can cause them to fail. (We've seen it here before on others who JUST did the top end).

So to do it right, the costs can spiral out of control. Just to do the top end on my bike ran to $1500 and that did nothing with the cam chain or the bottom end. I abandoned the bike when it reached that level....

It really comes down to what you are comfortable with in terms of cost. Since you're going to pay someone, it is going to get expensive, VERY quickly. In that case, I would recommend you find a donor motor and get the one in your bike replaced. You're still going to be out ~$1500 for the cost of the motor and labour, so there really IS no inexpensive solution for you....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.