Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed when I have around .4 of a gallon the motor starts to hesitate during acceleration. Also the motor will shut off during idle even though I can restart it. This is my first fi bike, can the hesitation be attributed to the fuel sloshing around and air being sucked into the fuel pump?

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
Doctor: Well then don't do that!!!!

If this is the only time this happens, just don't run you tank that low.
It's best not to run your bike out of fuel anyway.
I always top up before it hits empty, and well before the E light starts flashing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Patient: Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
Doctor: Well then don't do that!!!!

If this is the only time this happens, just don't run you tank that low.
It's best not to run your bike out of fuel anyway.
I always top up before it hits empty, and well before the E light starts flashing.
Good point.

·
Super Moderator
57,538 Posts
I noticed when I'm heavy in a turn and dragging knees with a calculated 1/4 cup of gas my motor cuts out completely. I asked Joe for advice and he told me to wear knee pads ;)

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
I noticed when I'm heavy in a turn and dragging knees with a calculated 1/4 cup of gas my motor cuts out completely. I asked Joe for advice and he told me to wear knee pads ;)
I thought the knee pads were a good idea.
So was keeping more than 11 cents worth of gas in your tank when heading out on a long road trip.

·
Registered
91 Posts
EFI bikes can't use every drop of fuel in the tank. Usually 1/4-1/2 a gallon of the capacity really isn't usable and you'll be "out of gas" because the pump can't reach it, or during cornering/braking it sloshes away and the pump sucks air, which results in a stall almost immediately.

I'm not really a fan of pushing motorcycles or leaving them on the side of the road to call buddies for a ride to the gas station, so feel no need to run the tank down to fumes. Consider the fuel light/blinking E to mean you have 20 miles left, max.

·
Super Moderator
25,177 Posts
The bike stalling was always my "low fuel warning" on my Boulevard. Yes, when you get really low on fuel it will stall a bit during heavy acceleration, hard breaking, and cornering. The fuel sloshes away from the fuel line, causing a break in the feed, then sloshes back to the fuel line and wakes everything back up again. It's all perfectly normal, just put more gas in as soon as possible when that happens and keep an eye on the fuel level.

·
Registered
5,068 Posts
The bike stalling was always my "low fuel warning" on my Boulevard. Yes, when you get really low on fuel it will stall a bit during heavy acceleration, hard breaking, and cornering. The fuel sloshes away from the fuel line, causing a break in the feed, then sloshes back to the fuel line and wakes everything back up again. It's all perfectly normal, just put more gas in as soon as possible when that happens and keep an eye on the fuel level.
If he's in a really tight situation, could he pee in the tank to get him to the next gas station?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts