Suzuki Volusia Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across a set of exhaust off a Volusia on e-Bay and the guy had shortened the mufflers. Looks like he took about 4" off the bottom one and about 6" off the top one. He had a picture with them on the bike and they looked real good (I don't particularly like the loooong look of the stock ones). He did it to get the mufflers to kind of match up with an after market rear fender (which also looked good). When he cut them off the outer baffeling came out also so it is just a straight metal tube (he previously had de-baffled, de-mickied apparently). He says that they're real loud!!!
My question is, has anyone on this site done this? What about shortening and making the slash in the other direction (as per Jardine or Cobra slash cuts). I have an extra set of mufflers and I'm thinking of trying the last one and then put a plug back in to mute the "loud" (I have already done this on the de-baffled and de-mickied mufflers). Anyone have any comments?

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Must not be the wrong place to post or nobody cares to comment. Thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
17,308 Posts
I haven't heard of any one doing this. If you decide to try it let us know how you like them and post some pictures I would like to see how they look.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got them shortened (wasn't able to cut them like Jardines or Cobra's-band saw wasn't big enough). Took 4" off the bottom one and 6" off the top one. They look pretty good. Pulled the third plate and the outer baffling out and they sure are loud. They pop quite a bit on trailing throttle (Pair valve IS disabled). Now I've just got to find a plate of some sort to stick in the back of the tube with a home-made baffle to see if I can get the sound I want.

·
Registered
105 Posts
.. About ten years ago there was a product for Harley pilots that ran straight pipes . It was called the baffler. What this was was a large washer that sat on an axle right at the end of the straight-pipe. . You closed the flap up when leaving your quiet neighborhood, and opened it up where the sound wasn't such a problem. The big hook to the baffler was that it came with a wooden jig to be sure the two holes you drilled in the straight pipe were aligned properly. .... If you were to shorten the stock mufflers. and of course debaffle. I would strive to try and have the remainder of the inner mesh welded back in place . I believe it is the reason for the mellower sound a debaffled volusia muffler makes . any muffler shop with a wire feed welder should be able to do this , or you could try fastening it into place with bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a MIG so welding it back in wouldn't be too hard except the guy who de-mickied the pipes kind of trashed one of them (the perforated outer baffle that is). I'm going to try to add a glass pack inside the chrome tube to see what kind of sound I get.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well I guess that's an all-right idea. What concerned me was the weight . At one time I made up a set of straight pipes from a set of Aloisia headers but I didn't like the look of raw steel and the sound wasn't what I was hoping for. The pipe size was 1 and 1/2 inch. So I went back to debaffed but still mickeyed . If you want to quiet the sound down , why not make up a set of baffles instead . 2and 1/2 inch pipe will fit pretty well and just drilling a bunch of self tappers in to them will act as a baffle . slip those into the stock shells and you will get something that works and is cheap.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got two similar threads going here. I put the glass packs in yesterday and they sound pretty good (just a short trip around the block). I'll take it for a run this afternoon (after it warms up to 40 degrees). Post again this evening. Post some pics tomorrow or Sunday.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics of the muffler/glass pack mod in my gallery.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big Pete said:
Looks good Duffy did the glass packs do what you wanted. Does it have a good tone.
Not quite as deep a sound as I wanted and it pops a little. My muffler guy says I need some more tail pipe on muffler (I only put on a 3" piece). IMO it's a lot better than a debaffle and de-mickie. Might require ear plug on a long ride (for sensitive ears).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts