Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to volusias and confused. am looking to buy first one but some adverts quote vl800 m800 at same time???????? does that just reflect a date of model change....?????

·
Super Moderator
31,407 Posts
Someone is confused. The VL800 became the C50 when they became Boulevards, and the M800 became the M50. It's mostly a body style difference, and the easiest way to tell, provided that it's still stock, is the rear fender. The VL800/C50 has a sloped rear fender that follows the curve of the wheel, giving more of a cruiser look. The M800/M50 has a straight rear fender that shoots out the back like a spoiler and gives it more of a sport bike look.

There are other differences, but you can spot the rear fender at a distance. Not all parts are the same, but mechanically they are virtually identical bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
484 Posts
Whiskey is only partially correct.

Over on your side of the pond in the UK the bikes have different names from over here. The VL800 is the worldwide model number from Suzuki, which in the UK carried the marketing name "Intruder Volusia" 2001-2004, and the marketing name "Intruder C800" from 2005 to current, after it ditched the carb for fuel injection. Over here it was called the "Intruder Volusia" 2001-2002; the "Volusia" 2003-2004", and the "Boulevard C50" 2005- current. Most "bolt on" accessories that fit the pre-2005 version also fit the 2005-current version. So when shopping for accessories you want to look for parts that fit the "VL800" or the "Volusia" or the "C800."

The "Intruder M800" is the marketing name for the 2005-current VZ800, which they call the "Boulevard M50" over here. Same frame as the VL800, but most accessories are different, as the "bolt on" type parts like seats, sissy bars, handlebars, fenders, wheels, footpegs, and other items are different between the two bikes. This is a new model that did not exist before 2005. So nothing listed for it will fit your Volusia. From 2005-2009 it had the above described funky rear fender, and an engine that was slightly different from the one in the VL800, being both painted black and having internal differences in the valve gear, cylinder heads, and main bearings. From 2010 on it uses the same engine as the VL800, it ditched the funky rear fender in favor of something more conventional, and it how has a little headlight fairing. But "bolt on" accessories for it still probably will not work for your Volusia, other than minor, fairly universal things like turn signals, grips, and mirrors. So you do not want accessories listed for the "VZ800" or "Intruder M800."

From 1997-2004 Suzuki sold a different VZ800 in both the US and the UK, called the "Marauder 800" in both countries. This is a completely different bike from both the 2005-2009 and 2010-current "Intruder M800"/ "Boulevard M50": different frame, engine, tank, fenders, wheels, seat, everything. So nothing listed for it will fit your Volusia either.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
DrBob is only partially correct.

This is a new model that did not exist before 2005. So nothing listed for it will fit your Volusia. From 2005-2009 it had the above described funky rear fender, and an engine that was slightly different from the one in the VL800, being both painted black and having internal differences in the valve gear, cylinder heads, and main bearings.
It did exist, but was chain drive and had some different mechanicals. 05 on it is essentially the same bike as the C50. Among the interchangeable goodies the rear wheel is direct bolt on for the C50/VL800, the front with minor effort will work as well, while different inside the engine is a direct drop in, there are numerous other components that depending on model year will easily or with minor effort will swap between bikes from 1997-present.

·
Premium Member
2,893 Posts
Jeeeeez glad I did not put my 2 cents in, I thought I knew but decided to wait...I now know ;)

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Dr. BOB, missed another point. My bike is a US model 2003 Suzuki Volusia/Intruder per badge on the tank. VL800. The whole thing is very confusing.

·
Registered
484 Posts
DrBob is only partially correct.

It did exist, but was chain drive and had some different mechanicals.
Not even close.

The 1997-2004 Marauder 800 and the 2005 and up M50 are COMPLETELY different bikes. The differences are far more than just "chain drive and some different mechanicals."
The frame is completely different: the Marauder 800 had a conventional swing arm type frame with exposed shocks, the M50 has a softail style frame with a hidden mono-shock. The rake angle is not even the same.
The engines are different: the Marauder 800 used dual carbs along with different cases, cylinder heads, and electronics, while the first generation M50 used an engine based on the single-carb Volusia mill (different cases from the Marauder and the cylinder heads don't even point in the same directions- hell, at a glance you can tell they are not even close) but updated with fuel injection, and differing from the C50 mill in the areas I described above.
The sheet metal is completely different between the Marauder and the M50: the fuel tanks, front fender, rear fender, and side covers are all different.
The seats are different, the handlebars, the controls, the dashboard & instrumentation are different; the wheels are different and the rear tire a different size; the exhaust, tail lights, head lights, turn signals, rear view mirrors, wiring harness, air cleaner, seat height are all different...should I go on? I could name hundreds of parts that are different, but once you get past the frame, drivetrain, and sheetmetal, there really isn't any way you could possibly argue that they are the same bike with just "different mechanicals".
OK, the two models DO use the same size front tire, but that hardly makes the M50 "exist" previously as the Marauder 800.
The M50 was a clean sheet design based on the C50/ Volusia line of evolution, while the Marauder 800 was tangent that was killed off entirely after 2004.
So the fact is the M50 did not exist before 2005 and the bikes have nothing in common but the recycling of the "VZ800" number, which in Suzuki model number convention made perfect sense.

Oh, and while it is true that the C50 and M50 motors can be bolted into each other's frames, as the differences are cosmetic and internal as I described, and it is also true that you can modify some of the parts off each bike to fit the other, that really doesn't tell him what accessories fit his Volusia, does it? ;) I mean really, with modification you can make anything fit anything, but that doesn't help him see what accessories in the catalog or web page fit his bike.

·
Super Moderator
31,407 Posts
Ok, so I was mistaken about the change in the model numbers, but I don't think the guy wanted an engineering degree. I was just trying to give him a simple easy differentiation between the two bikes. Gees! You guys are all running around like human wikipedias! :D

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
well as an M50 owner.. one of the other big differences between the M and C and Vol is the reverse front forks on the M50 versus the conventional forks on the Vol and C50...
Vol and C have steel wheels/spokes and tubes where the M has cast aluminum powdercoated/painted rims with tubeless tires...
Cheers!!!

·
Super Moderator
31,407 Posts
well as an M50 owner.. one of the other big differences between the M and C and Vol is the reverse front forks on the M50 versus the conventional forks on the Vol and C50...
Vol and C have steel wheels/spokes and tubes where the M has cast aluminum powdercoated/painted rims with tubeless tires...
Cheers!!!
All true! My previous bike was an M, now I've got a C, but that rear end is still the biggest dead give away between the two. I actually miss my M, they've got a great look to them. They're sporty, but still manly! :wayhappy:

·
Premium Member
28,859 Posts
Shoot, I got you all beat.

2006 C50 frame, tank, and rear fender.

2006 M50 engine

200? C109 front fender

2007 C50SE wheels

2005 C90 tail light

2007 C90 final drive (out for repair right now)

2010 Harley Police hardbags.

Reactions: DrBLVD

·
Registered
7 Posts
fork boots

Viper,
What fork boots did you use.They really look classic

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok im confuse myself I have a 2004 suzuki intruder 800 ..Im needing to replace the drive shaft and the rear hub all togather but they talk about vs vl a cupole of others so Im not sure what all years will fit this bike and what one I should go after as far as the vl or the vs or what ever ..any help would be grateful

·
Registered
20,810 Posts
The year is irrelevant. Any model year VL800 or VZ800 drive will fit with no modification.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts