Suzuki Volusia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 volusia 800 and just put pipes and a hypercharger on. I can't even get my bike to start to tune it. I kind of think the battery started faded before it actually got fuel to the carb but, I'm unsure. Any thoughts or help is appreciated. There was no for the large hose coming from the back of the pair valve(went into the back of the stock air box) so I put one of the supplied red plugs in it. Was that correct to do?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
To update on this if anybody wants to help, i put a 132 main jet in and tapped a different vacuum line for the hypercharger. It is now starting and idling perfectly. It starts sputtering around 1/2 throttle and completely tries to die at WOT. If you let off after it tries to die it snaps right back and idles perfectly.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks for the update. Your issue is above my pay grade so I’m of no help to you but am glad you’re make progress on it.

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
First off, a 132 main is too small for your setup. Here is a link to the recommended jetting which depends on your particular situation.

Second, the bike requires vacuum to operate the fuel pump, so all hoses need to be connected or plugged accordingly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I all of my lines figured out correctly and have been close. I have to replace plugs and wires due to a broken spark plug(probably something i accidently did). I'll also probably have to order jets. My dynojet kit goes from 132 to 150. The 155 was way too much fuel so i doubt the 150 would be any different.

·
Registered
20,700 Posts
The recommended main with a hypercharger is 142m with a 45 pilot, needle raised and air/fuel mix 2.5 turns out from the bottom. A 132 may work, but it will run lean especially under full throttle conditions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did read that exact same thing on this forum. My Dynojet kit is missing the 142 though. It jumps straight to 150

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
The recommended main with a hypercharger is 142m with a 45 pilot, needle raised and air/fuel mix 2.5 turns out from the bottom. A 132 may work, but it will run lean especially under full throttle conditions.
Pretty sure that is (or damn near close enough to as a good starting point) what I ran back in the day with a different (teardrop, just as wide open) intake.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If anyone is still following this, here is the latest update. New coilpacks, DJ142 main and a 45 mikuni pilot all installed. Got it fired up and rode it home. Appears to start sputtering around 3/4 throttle. I believe this to be a fuel mixture problem. Going to turn the mix screw out another half(2.5 turns out at current) and see if that helps. If not, guess it's jetting time again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I also have not plugged the air jet as suggested in the rejet matrix posts. I do not know where it is or, what I can use to plug it. The symptoms sound similar to a member who ran unplugged with stumbling at higher throttle.

·
Super Moderator
23,931 Posts
would be nice to be able to make sense out of this thread...kudos to those that can...sux being an idiot when it come to these types of threads.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
If anyone is still following this, here is the latest update. New coilpacks, DJ142 main and a 45 mikuni pilot all installed. Got it fired up and rode it home. Appears to start sputtering around 3/4 throttle. I believe this to be a fuel mixture problem. Going to turn the mix screw out another half(2.5 turns out at current) and see if that helps. If not, guess it's jetting time again.
The mixture screw is for the mixture at idle and has almost no influence on 3/4 throttle. You should be looking at the main jet (as either too small or too big, by experimentation). Here is a good resource: http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

·
Super Moderator
23,931 Posts
this wasn't meant to be a knock on your thread more of a compliment to those who are mc mechanical savy enough to understand it...you have to understand my lack of any intelligence when it comes to the mechanics of these machines...not proud of it but honest enough to admit I'm clueless and considering I've been riding since 2004 and about the only thing I feel comfortable doing on my ride is an oil change,,,well maybe you can now understand it was meant more as a compliment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I didn't think that you were trying to be insulting. I was being literal. If you need help with something, maybe I can help.

·
Super Moderator
23,931 Posts
appreciate it and many here will also appreciate any help you can offer when problems occur.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
appreciate it and many here will also appreciate any help you can offer when problems occur.
For sure. I'm by no means a master mechanic but, i do all the wrenching on mine and my wifes bike. I also grew up around dirtbikes and stuff like that so, i know just enough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
On a different note, can anybody help with the suggestion of plugging the air jet as suggested in the rejetting matrix sticky? My bike idles great and rides great until the top end. Too much air?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts